1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II codes P01AF P3030 P3056

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by marcs_carhole, Nov 1, 2013.

1. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We who live with battery power do periodic little tweaks on battery connectors as they get loose over time, particularly lead terminals. As Hobbit says while checking his battery: Prius battery exploration

This might be a good 100K mile service item for the obsessive types out there.

(BTW, that's an "oh" not a "zero" in my avatar. Radio guys would know.)

2. marcs_carhole

marcs_carhole Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, I didn't recognize it as a call sign. I see now.

Thanks for finding those torque specifications. I am the obsessive type who torques just about every fastener when I do these projects.

I located a nice (professional-grade) 10A battery charger to keep the 12V going. It has a 'maintainer' setting (unlike my little Craftsman) so I no longer need to worry about overcharging the 12V.

3. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    According to the Official Repair Manual for my 2007:
    Nuts on the Junction Block Assembly (Busbar Module) are tightened to 48 in. lb. (4 ft. lb., 5.4N*m)
    Nuts on the Frame Wire (Busbar Module are tightened to 48 in lb. (4 ft. lb., 5.4N*m)

marcs_carhole likes this.
  4. marcs_carhole

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the independent verification of that torque spec!

5. marcs_carhole

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As speculated by usnavystgc, I was being overly optimistic that my problem was only corrosion. The good news is that I haven't found any bad modules yet!

The problem was self-evident once I got around to pulling the voltage sense wire connector off the ECU. (I procrastinated as it was very difficult to remove on my first attempt. Now I can see why.) Here are pics of the connectors from the voltage sense wires and into the ECU. block_sensor_connector2.JPG block_sensor_connector1.JPG
    Note that pins 22 & 23 (bottom right) on the ECU side have broken off and are stuck in the receptacle on the right.

The connector looks burned. What could cause this? I would expect there to be minimal current flow through the voltage sense wires if eveything is working properly.

Input from anyone who has fixed this problem before would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'll try to fabricate some new pins or make an auxilliary connector for the broken connections.

SFO likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The problem is almost certainly caused by moisture (condensation). You are correct there is real no current flow but the voltage across the connector can be up around 240 volts DC.
    Now the problem with DC is there is no time period "as with AC that the voltage falls to zero". Once an arc is struck between two contacts it will continue as it ionizes the air around it and burns the plastic connectors producing carbon that adds to the current path.
    This is made even more of a problem because the voltage supply to the ECU via those sense wires is not turned off when the car is shut down. This could possibly be the cause of a small number of fires in Prius batteries.

John (Britprius)

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would seriously advise you not to reuse any part of those connectors in your rebuild. The plastic parts will have carbon embedded in them and possibly even mall burn holes between pins.
    The connector on the wiring is possibly available as a spare part as are the pins.
    You may be able to repair the ecu replacing the pins with suitable material (possibly old TV scart socket parts or such like).
    I would remove completely the plastic around the pins. At the end of the day the best action would be to replace the ECU.

John (Britprius)

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you intend replacing the connectors with some other form of connector be sure to keep the sense wires in the connector in voltage order. Meaning pins next to each other have no more than 14.2 volts between them.

John (Britprius)

9. marcs_carhole

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the suggestions. After looking at the connectors under a microscope, I agree it is not good to reuse. The pin spacing appears to be standard 0.1" (2.54 mm) so I am considering replacing the ECU side connector with a standard right angle header and putting a corresponding female receptacle on the wire side. I would be forced to keep the same pinout doing this so I would not end up with any higher voltage potential on adjacent pins than what Toyota already has. (If we consider the rows, I believe we must have some adjacent pins with >14V differential but I presume they have ensured the full ~210V are well-spaced apart. I'll reverse-engineer the pinout tomorrow out of curiosity.) I have all these types of standard electrical components and I would say they are higher quality (e.g. gold-plated rather than tin-plated) than the Toyota connectors. I hate to replace the entire ECU just due to a connector.

10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, most certainly water damage that caused that. I hope the ECU is still good but you won't know until you try it. You sound like you know what you're doing. Keep it up!!!!!

11. marcs_carhole

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the input. I have actually changed my mind again. I'm going to follow BritPrius' suggestion and fix it properly. 3prongpaul offered a pretty good deal on a used (known good) ECU and the harness with the receptacle connector. Even though I hate trashing the ECU, the price makes it not worth the risk even for someone as cheap as I am.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's not being cheap to use what you can, but changing the connectors makes it difficult if you then find the ECU is damaged or if it has to be replaced at a later date.
    It is good of 3prongpaul to assist with these components, and typical of most people I have come across on this forum.
    Keep us informed of your progress, as I am sure your now at the root of the problem as I expected from my first post. Your modules once re balanced should be fine.
    Connect them all in parallel for a few hours to bring them all to the same voltage but suggest this be no higher than around 8 volts or when you have built and fitted your battery you my get a DTC "battery voltage is unusually high" as the Prius expects a maximum charge level of about 80%.

John (Britprius)

13. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Paul is always helpful. That's awesome of him. Thanks Paul!!!!

14. marcs_carhole

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

I have seen one or more threads where the "overvoltage" problem was reported. I was thinking that after the rebalancing step, I would use the chargers to discharge each module to something like 8V before tying the modules together. It seems that should be a standard part of this process but it is not mentioned in the threads I have perused.

15. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I personally don't see it as an issue.

16. marcs_carhole

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone here know what level trips the overvoltage error?

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have not actually raised the battery voltage while monitoring the Prius to see at what voltage this occurs. But have noted that at seven green bars on the MFD represents a battery voltage of about 250, or around 8.9 volts per module.

I would imagine going much higher would produce the error. The reason for this is the Prius protects the battery from higher states of charge to prolong battery life. Any higher voltage would mean the car thinking there was a fault in the system causing the over charge "the car has no way of knowing the battery has been externally charged", and if maintained over a period would damage the battery.

A level of 8 volts per module should be sufficient to start the ICE and allow the cars system to bring the battery to it's designed level of charge.

John (Britprius)

18. marcs_carhole

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again! That is a good data point. 8.9V actually sounds like a pretty strong voltage to me as 1.4V is considered fully charged for a single NiMH cell (i.e. 8.4V for a 6-cell pack) in most applications.

I understand the reasoning for keeping the battery in that range in normal usage. From a practical standpoint, I just want to avoid taking the time to discharge the modules more than necessary. I would run some experiments to find the overvoltage threshold but R&R of the bus bars and battery pack is a bit too difficult to justify satisfying that curiosity.

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the UK we have 220/230 volt 1 kw room heaters and this represents a load of about 4 amps. Ideal for discharging the complete battery.

John (Britprius)

SFO and usnavystgc like this.
  20. marcs_carhole

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's been a while since I have provided any update. I have not finished the project yet but am making steady progress.

On the voltage sense connector front, I received the ECU and harness from Paul. (Ordered on a Friday and had it sitting on my doorstep on Mon when I got home ... can't ask for more than that.) Here is a picture comparing the old and new ECU connectors. (I leave it as an exercise for the student to determine which is which ;))
    ecu_connectors3.JPG
    Here is a pic of both new connectors ... all clean and shiny!
    new_connectors (2).JPG

The replacement ECU is now installed in the pack. I finished one 3-cycle round of balancing on the 28 modules. I am running additional cycles on 11 modules. I am pretty confident I can get them all at least 6.0 AHr.

Regarding discharging to avoid the Prius seeing an overcharged situation, I am expecting this will not be a problem (per usnavystgc's observations). After 3 weeks of balancing, the modules I hit initially have a nontrivial amount of self-discharge that have dropped their voltage to the middling range. Unless I top everything off, there should be no problem. I am curious as to why others have seen this issue ... perhaps they topped off their pack before installing? Or they had enough chargers that they did the process so quickly that the self-discharge was insignificant?

I am wary of excessive current flow when shorting the batteries together if the voltages differ by much, e.g. over a volt. I am planning to take a day and manually charge and discharge the modules to a moderate voltage (and within 0.1V of each other) before I short them together in parallel. I considered a first step of using a resistive load from one terminal on each module to a common bus in order to limit the current. However, it does not seem anyone else has gone to this trouble and others have good luck with the process so I presume there is no significant heat damage due to using the small battery internal resistance (~20 mOhm) as the only current limiting.

Thanks to everyone for the continued advice and assistance with this project!