1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GEN II P3190 DTC Engine Stalling, No start. PLEASE HELP...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by UKCLASSICPRIUS, Oct 20, 2012.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to fondle some things.;)

2. Igoryan

Igoryan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, didn't want to start a new thread. Just got P3190, need help. I have a cheap bluetooth ODBII reader. Using it with "torque", it only shows this generic code.

Engine stalled while i was driving, I pulled off to a parking lot on electric power. Main battery is very low- 1 bar.
    Tried to start the engine again, it cranked but would not start. So i tried to reset the code, but it went back on straight away, even without starting the engine.

Checked 12V battery voltage on the system monitor, it was 12.1V.

I only had 2 bars of fuel left and it didn't change in the last 60 miles or so. The car has 200K miles.
    I wonder if It's not accurate and i just ran out of fuel?
    I just got the car 500 miles ago, so not sure how precise is the fuel gauge.

There was no recent oil change.
    Any ideas? Gonna try to add some fuel later today, reset the code and try to start it again.

3. Igoryan

Igoryan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, it was out of fuel.
    I added 3 gallons, checked throttle body - it was not stuck. Reset the code, this time it didn't reappear (probably car detects if there is fuel at the injectors somehow?).
    Turned off and on and the engine started.

So the fuel gauge is off by 2 points or maybe there is some water in the tank. Anyway, previous owner is an donkey for not telling me about this.

#63 Igoryan, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    m.wynn likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your tank has a rubber bladder the effectively negates the accuracy of the gas gauge. best thing to do is track average mpg's and miles driven. don't let it get too low.

Raytheeagle, m.wynn and Igoryan like this.