1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ryousideways, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    First, Last, and middle one..

2. Bobasaurus

Bobasaurus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am now at over 6 months and 3300 miles on the two cell replacement I performed with info from this thread. Go little Prius go. Bobby

dolj and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bobby, I appreciate the updates.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Hybrid Battery Exchange

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry to inform you but will corrode within weeks, see attached. That's a harness that has been in service for only 4 months after thoroughly cleaning the bus bars.

Toyota uses a conductive coating on their and they do last a long time. I've seen 12 year old cars that have been garaged and the bus bars look like new. I nickel plate everything, it holds up very well. Attached a picture of what it looks like after 6 months in service nickel plated.

Attached Files:

j12piprius likes this.
  5. j12piprius

j12piprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm new to PC, so perhaps this has been covered. For connecting in parallel, why not just turn around every other module so all the positive terminals are on the same side, the same for the negatives, then connect each side with the bus bars?

6. j12piprius

j12piprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The nickel plating looks great. What's the lowest cost way to do this?

7. Hybrid Battery Exchange

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Look into Caswell plating, they offer a basic kit to get you started.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The best way to do it is to just order a brand new harness from Toyota.

MTL_hihy likes this.
  9. Hybrid Battery Exchange

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agreed!

Part number 82165-47040 "Wire, Frame, NO.2"

10. dubseven

dubseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Question guys. Bought an 05 with a bad cell. Have replacement cell. Bought a Hitec X4 AC Pro to balance and recharge everything. I set it up for NIMH, 6 cells, 2a discharge and 5a charge. The discharge takes about five seconds to get to 6.5v on good cells. Charging at 5a voltage jumps to 13-14v right away. At 1a i still get about 10v. What am i doing wrong?

11. Kenrico

Kenrico Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the settings from this video , which are slightly conservative . Video is a bit sketch as you have to walk through the whole thing but you will pick out his charge amperage 3A? , max capacity 7500mah? wait time between cycles 5min ? and discharge voltage 6.5v?

Took 10 hrs to do one mediocre cell conservatively with 3 cycles .. your mileage will vary :)

Kenny

12. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those settings are way off, you'll damage the new modules quickly with that setup.

Try these instead......(make sure they are clamped when charging or it will bubble the sides outwards)
    Prius Battery rebalance thread | PriusChat

You also need to load test them, my setup is on page 13 of this thread.

13. swede70

swede70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry to bump this.
    Can anyone verify that I can use SkyRC Q200 Quad charger to charge my modules on a prius gen II? This charger is availible in Sweden and chargers like Hitec X4 and Dynam Supermate DC6 are not.

Thanks

14. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would cha
    It would charge em up, as long as it has the capabilities of the hitec x4.

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As long as it has a mode where it can current limit and a mode where it can voltage limit and can accept the range of voltages you need, it will work. Some will be faster/safer/expensive and that's where the tradeoffs are. If you are using a cheap charger that is not designed for what you're making it do, watch those batteries. NiMH's characteristic when it is done charging is to get super hot.

16. dubseven

dubseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone recharged Highlander / RX400h modules? What are you guys using for charge/discharge settings? Low voltage cutoff?

17. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Read my posts starting on page 13.

When using a Hitec X4......

Go into "save program" and input the manual cycle info:

NiMH, 9.6v, 7000 mAh, 2.0A charge, 1.0A and 8.0v discharge, DCHG>CHG 3 (this info is for a HiHy, not a Prius/Camry!)

Then at the DCHG>CHG screen hold down "start" until it saves. Then go into "load program" hold down the start button again until it loads the data for the cycle, then scroll to DCHG>CHG and hold down "start" to begin the cycle. When the cycle begins properly it should start with discharge first (blinking "D"), then charge.

Make sure you also have your "user set program" settings done (waste time 5 min, safety timer off, capacity cutoff at 7000 mAh).

18. Tbox

Tbox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good day!

First off, i want to say i have been reading this thread for about 3 straight hours lol. It's fantastic!

I just got my hands on a 2004 Prius for 300 dollars from a co-worker who was transferring off island. He had the diagnostic done from the dealer before i purchased it and it said one cell was bad.

I have not pulled anything apart yet. When i started reading this thread, it was focused on individual cell balancing. I am now reading about the Prolong system. If i end up replacing the bad cell, will the ProlongĀ® Value Reconditioning Package be sufficient to rebalance the entire pack and get me back to working order?

Is there a guide buried in this thread on using this system to complete the repair? Thank you so much in advance, and i apologize if this is another repetitive question asked in this insanely long thread.

-Matt

19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Matt,

You have to take the battery apart to change a module, so balancing the new module first (using a hobby charger/rebalancer), checking that the new module is a reasonable match to the existing modules, and load testing all modules (to see if there are others to replace) is worth doing. The Prolong system is a good investment to then tune up the remaining modules (much less effort) and for longer term maintenance of HV battery balance.

JeffD

20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If they bought the used module from Hybrid Automotive, they choose a module based on the mileage of the old pack. They Prolong charge & discharge system should be able to balance the pack from that starting place., assuming there are not other failing modules.

Raytheeagle likes this.