1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II Prius Past 150K -- Big PicturMaintenance Schedule Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BeatleBob, Feb 16, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at least they seem to understand the vehicle.

2. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where I think this is going is as follows:
    Repairs on the 2004 Prius will take time, careful attention to detail, and patience, and promises to be a long and winding road. My wife needs a dependable ride for work right away. A late model used Prius, or new one, given the dealer incentives I am reading about on line, seems like the prudent path forward. The 2004 Prius is going to either (a) become a second vehicle, long term project, with the help of my co-worker, where we take our time, do things right, and with the help of the resources here, or (b) will be sold as is for what I can get for it on Craigslist. But first order of business is to get a reliable set of wheels my wife can use for her work purposes. I am going to switch to a different forum for advice on Prius II, III, and PiP models, and pros and cons of buying new, pre-certified, and ordinary used vehicles. See some of you there, I hope, if you have experience strngth and hope on those kind of issues.
    Regards, Beatle

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Like yours, my Pruis has over 150K miles and is starting to show some wear. I've been having some fun maintaining it myself. For instance, at 125K I replaced the traction battery only because I had put some tough miles on it (desert mountain driving). I found someone on CL parting out a car with 60K miles and I bought the battery for $800. Then I sold my old one, still functioning, for $400. Maybe I was lucky, but it was a simple "plug and play" replacement and I'm very pleased with how the "new" battery has been working.

A couple of years ago I had the combination display fail and I fixed it myself. Then Toyota owned up to it and paid me what it cost me.

I've replaced the transmission oil myself twice now and as said above, it's pretty easy. I used a small hand pump to fill.

Just today I replaced the spiral cable (clockspring) in the steering column, for a rewarding project. Cost me <$30, the dealer wanted >$500.

Next project will be a new radio and I'm starting to look for a deal.

All in all, for all the years and miles in a relatively complicated car, I've been very pleased with the Prius and intend to keep it for another 100K at least.

BeatleBob likes this.
  4. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Back again. The Dealer invoice states the following: "Performed on board diagnostics, scan tool, inspection codes present as either current, pending, history fond codes: codes P3000 P0A80 HV Battery Pack. Recommend Replace HV Battery and Filter. $3700. Owner Advised."
    I drove the Prius home and it is parked out front of the house. The new Prius Gen 3 gets to park in the driveway, of course, but I feel bad for the old guy. Time marches on, I guess. But, not so fast! My plan is to buy an OEM Toyota part #G9510-47031 HV Battery, which carries a Factory Toyota 12 Month unlimited milage warranty, which I see online 100 miles from my home for a mere approximately $1990. My tech colleague will do the install, and the bottom line will be far less than what the Dealer would charge me. First, should I check the 12v Battery to see if it is okay, as I have seen mentioned on some discussions? Following that, the colleague is going to work on the punch list. I asked the dealer to print out the service history records, and after battery replacement, I will use those to help set priorities of what else needs to be done in what order. Due to lack of attention on my part I don't now when if ever components may have been repaired, e.g., struts, water, pump, PCV valve, and serpentine belt. Then I am gong to detail it and either give or "lend" it to our son as a college graduation present. How's all that sound to you folks?
    Thanks

#44 BeatleBob, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  5. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a good plan. You can probably get the service history yourself online by going to New Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Hybrids | Toyota Official Site and going to the Toyota Owners' site. There you can create an account for yourself, then using the VIN for your vehicle, add it to your account. When you go to Service History (if the work was done by a participating dealer), it will all show up in your Service History records. You can download or print from there.

Add "change tranny fluid" to the list of urgent maintenance even if Toyota doesn't. There are a lot of posts on this.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Doubtful your struts were replaced; you would have remembered that bill. Local Toyota dealer labor price for me, was $800 (Hooman), or $1,000 (Cabe), for front and rear. Toyota parts would have probably ran $500+. So a complete front strut and rear shock replacement would have ran $1300-$1500+.

Be aware some dealers are being lame and won't sell you (retail consumer) the HV Battery pack. However, these same dealers might sell the HV battery to a mechanic or shop; maybe you have a friend who is a mechanic or owns a repair shop.

BeatleBob likes this.
  7. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yakoma, I went to Toyota online and the records I found were general, not specific and detailed. The dealer is mailing mine. I plan on changing the ATF fluid, using Toyota OEM only is what I was told. Exstudent, I was given a front and rear strut replacement from a service shop, not dealer, that came to around $1350. Parts were going to be $600, and labor $750. My friend is willing to do that work and I assume it will be a it a bit less. On HV battery -- I will check to make sure the Toyota parts seller will do a HV sale to a retail customer, otherwise I might ask a mechanic shop friend of mine to call in the order, and then I pick it up.
    I also want to mention that I appealed to Toyota to cover the HV battery under warranty, given the closeness to the line of 10 years, and 150K miles. They said they would consider it in the context of us having just purchased a 2015 Prius. I asked the boss of the dealership who sold us the new Prius to weigh in on our behalf. We are proven loyal customers Toyota should work to keep happy is the pitch. Let's see what happens.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP, you are over-thinking this.
    In your shoes I would ask myself if I wanted to sink up to $5000* into the car (battery + maintenance ) for another 5 - 10 years of use.

*At the dealer. DIY would be about half.

10. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good strategy. Although I'm generally skeptical of dealerships, I do hope they come through for you. Maybe you got a good one.

11. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP -- who are you addressing? If it is me -- Bob -- I don't think I am over thinking. Maybe you can be specific and help me understand. i.e., where does the $5000 figure come from? As said, I am not going through the Dealer for the HV battery, unless they offer to pay some or all of the cost. Also, I am relying on a colleague at a far reduced labor rate to do the maintenance. Anyway, help me out here, cause I don't get your point.

#51 BeatleBob, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP means 'opening post' or 'opening poster.' That is you, BeatleBob.

To clarify my point: Bringing you car up to a condition where it will last another 5 -10 years is going to cost up to $5k. Perhaps less, if you DIY some things, receive Toyota assistance, find a less expensive mechanic etc.

I am suggesting that if your response to $5k is "no way in hell; off to the junkard!" then do not waste any more of your time fiddling with with the umpteen details of your SS; on the other hand, if your response is
    "that is worth it for 5 - 10 years," then fiddle with details and see about saving some of that money.

13. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I got it. Thanks for clarifying. I am more in camp #2. I think everything involved is going to come in under $4000. What I will have at that point is a very well fixed up car, one I have known since its birth, fuel efficient, nav system, keyless entry, other bells and whistles, and no accidents, no corrosion, ready to roll for another 100K, with some luck and attention to scheduled maintenance. Where else am I gonna get that for that price?
    BTW-- Got what OP is, SS is scheduled service, or something else?

14. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BB, I like your conclusion after doing the repair/maintenance. There is good evidence of these cars going down the road for a long, long time if maintained properly.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    SS: Spreadsheet ;)
    I am definitely in your camp.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is an excerpt from the Canadian 2014 Owners Manual Supplement. It's a bit different than the US maintenance book, in that it encompasses EVERY car Toyota sells. At least they're presenting a nice chart now. Anyway, they're coming around: there's a brake fluid change interval now:

Capture.JPG

When we had ours in for the Brake Master Cylinder recall, I asked if they would be changing the brake fluid, and if not, could they do it anyways, even if it amounted to an extra charge. They said they did, and it was gratis. I'm not 100% sure I'm buying it, suspect they might have just replaced what spilled, didn't go around the four bleed bolt locations. Will for sure get it done (again?) at the 6 year mark.

BeatleBob likes this.
  17. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good news just came my way from Toyota Corporate -- they said the will cover the replacement of the hybrid battery all except for $1000. I am pleased as punch!!!
    This might be overthinking, but the dealer I bought the new Prius from is NOT the same dealer as the one who last serviced the old Prius, and where Corporate expects me to bring it back for the hybrid battery replacement. Question, will this dealer be pissed at me and treat my old Prius like crap? I am assuming it was likely made known to them that we bought a new Prius in the back and forth conversations they had with Corporate. Plan B could be to arrange to have the work done by the dealer who sold me the new Prius. They are located a bit further away, however. Any opinions on this?

18. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pick the dealer you're happy with and, assuming this is the one you'll continue to do business with, ask them if they will honor the Toyota Corporate agreement. If they will, I'd go with the better dealer. I don't expect Toyota Corporate to rescind the offer just because you'd prefer the better dealer.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^
    Hmmm. This is a bit tricky.

So far as I know, it is the dealership that 'goes to bat' for the customer and applies for Toyota assistance. If Toyota agrees, the assistance comes out of Toyota's pocket, not the dealers.

The point is that Toyota might care if one dealership has a better relationship with Toyota than another; and certainly the dealership that did the work to receive the assistance will get stiffed if the work goes elsewhere.

I think it prudent for the OP to come up with some reasonable excuse for the switch, and not just say "I found a better deal elsewhere."

BeatleBob likes this.
  20. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I have my answer, per this email I just got back from the sales rep at the new car dealership.

"Bob, Great news!! I am very happy for you and your family. That really is wonderful. I copied my boss on this email and as much as we would like your business I would have to say if the vehicle is apart at the dealer where you have it perhaps best to have the work done there. However, if it is sitting on the lot ready to be driven over to us by all means feel free to bring it to us. We will take excellent care of you!
    Either way, I am honored to have you as our customer and am available any time to assist you.
    Have a wonderful evening.
    Respectfully,"

The Prius is drivable and in front of our home, so I am going to bring it there.