1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II still performs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jdonalds, Aug 11, 2016.

1. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    How does a Prius hold up after eight years and 162,406 miles? Quite well thank you. With some effort I'm getting 52mpg over the past 326 miles driven on this tank of gas. We don't even have the best LRR tires on the car so I know I could get even more mileage out of this great car.

Not bad for a car with a lot of miles on it. In fact this is more miles than I've had on any car I've ever owned.

This car has been near perfect. The only failure has been the rubber cover over the outside tailgate latch. We haven't even had to replace the brakes yet. Oil, filters, tires, wiper blades, and gas, plus the rubber cover are the only expenses we've had.

It's easy to understand why we bought a 2015 Gen III last November and are now a two Prius family.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Vysse

Vysse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am curious how full your battery gets. My car seems to only get 43 at best and it goes down in city driving. I have ordered a Prolong Reconditioning kit that I think oughta help but I am wondering if it is the battery or not at this point.

3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congratulations. It's nice to read a "positive" report about a Gen2 or Gen3. I hope my 2016 is as reliable. (There seems to be a lot of threads lately about all kinds of problems with the previous generations. )

Danny3xd and Data Daedalus like this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had my '05 with 4k miles for a week Today and am driving the hell out of it and am getting over 50mpg so far,I am pretty satisfied!

I was worried it would be more under powered than it is or that I would need to really try to get good economy but for me this thing is great from the start.

I am waiting for the seat extenders to reach me so I can better reach comfort and I will hold off a little before I start making changes inside as again I am pretty thrilled with the car as it is.

5. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2006 does 63MPG avarage
    How can the most have so low MPG?

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  6. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    63mpg is an incredible number for a Gen2. Without some serious hypermiling, I'm not even sure it's possible unless your drives are all 20+ minute uninterrupted 45mph strolls. I get around 45mpg in my two Gen2 Prii with normal driving. I'd say 45-50 is pretty "normal" (although it depends on a number of factors, most people would fall into the category of drivers that could expect that range to be normal). Only in rare circumstances should you see anything substantially higher or lower on a Gen2.

7. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You have to consider that a lot of Gen2s these days are over a decade old. "Problem" threads will get more and more common as vehicles age. The Gen2 and Gen3 are historically reliable cars, and I'm sure your Gen4 will serve you well! :)

8. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think our gen 4's are going to last longer than the gen 2's and 3's. The 2016 feels so much better built than when my gen 2 was new.

Data Daedalus and Coast Cruiser like this.
  9. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I sure hope so, 'Lectro!

I spent my last 27 thousand clams on that "environmental whack job" of a car! (y) :ROFLMAO: :confused:

Data Daedalus and 'LectroFuel like this.
  10. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    You are located in the Netherlands correct? Are your gallons imperial? If so therein lies the difference I would think..

Data Daedalus likes this.
  11. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes i live in the Netherlands, i converted my 4.4l/100km to MPG
    My avarage is 4.4 to 4.6l/100km
    Get the most of the times 900km or more on one tank of gas.
    This is my record
    Image1470944959.315490.jpg

Data Daedalus and johnnyb588 like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's all those lowlands. :)

Are your statistics displayed or calculated. Either way very good, one of these years I hope to push our average down to 4.8 lol.

13. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ah, that makes a little more sense. I always forget to consider the difference between the imperial gallon and the US gallon. 4.4L/100km converts to 53mpg (US) and 4.6 to 51mpg (US), both of which are very good numbers!

14. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aah so okey next time i will convert to US gallons :D

15. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    How full my battery gets? I assume you mean by the battery indicator on the display of the car. Normally it shows two bars down, and in the green. It can drop almost all the way down if I'm driving on EV alone for a mile or so. Sometimes (I know not why) I'll park the car with the battery down two bars and it will be nearly drained in the morning. We live 250' above the city. Our most common trip involves leaving home and hitting a hill about a mile from the house. That 1/2 mile downhill trip, dropping 250 feet, often will charge the battery so it is a full - solid green.

To get the 52mpg shown in my first post above I tried all the tricks I know. I drove with the air conditioner off even though we've had several days over 100 degrees. I used pulse-and-glide where I could, and kept to 60mph or less on the freeway. I'm sure I could get 60mpg if I had the road all to myself and didn't have cars behind me. I'm sure I irritated some people with my driving habits, but I try to minimize that behavior. My wife tries to get good mileage but isn't patient enough so if she drives my car she'll pull the mpgs down. She hasn't driven my Prius since I last filled the tank. She has her own 2015 Prius and I drove it today noticing that she's only averaging 43 mpg!

16. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you based in the UK? Are you using imperial miles for MPG calculations?

63mpg sounds exactly what one might get in the UK, during the warm summer months. It's not far off from the 65mpg advertised for the Gen II Prius back in the day

iPhone 6s +

17. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    I think it is your battery but let us know if the Prolong helps. My 2008 is averaging 55.2 MPG according to the MFD. I never reset except once when I accidentally hit reset while wiping the dust off :eek:

The only thing that concerns me with either of our Prii's is the Traction Battery. I have 100K on mine, and wifey has 90K on her 2010. Since both our Prii's are from Texas, the battery(s) are 8 years / 100K. Both cars have been virtually trouble free.

Oh and my battery stays near the top of the blue most of the time and goes green on down hills on the brakes with the occasional top green full mark.

18. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    My driving conditions are not easy for best mileage. Our city is only 15 miles diameter so most trips are about seven miles each way (from home to the center of the city where all of the shopping is located). Short trips are more difficult to squeeze high mpgs. We have to navigate through about 7 or 8 traffic signals to go that seven miles. There are two hills that we hit on most trips. Only about 70 miles of the 326 were highway miles. And as I said having other cars behind me, or in front of me sometimes, spoils my plans for the best high mileage driving patterns. The last killer is the 1/2 mile drive up the hill to our neighborhood, an elevation change of 250 feet.

In spite of claims by Toyota and the EPA I always find I get better mpgs on the highway rather than the city. Going 30mph would get me well over 60 mpg if it weren't for traffic signals, stop signs, and traffic. It is accelerating from zero back up to 30mph that kills my hopes for high mileage.

If I stick to 60 mph on the freeway (slow lane with the 18 wheelers) I get the best mileage I can usually achieve. I have taken some 500 mile trips and hit over 60 mpg. These are obviously trips when I am not in a hurry and don't mind adding an hour to the drive.

19. ADDvanced

ADDvanced Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The worst I get is 52mpg...best is 74mpg.

In my 1st gen honda insight. :p

Prius gets about 45-50 no matter what.