1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II Transmission Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rannie815, Sep 25, 2016.

1. rannie815

rannie815 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am not having any problem with my transmission. I am doing a project for school on the Gen II Prius transmission and am having a hard time finding reliable sources.

I have a Gen II and have done quiet a bit of work to it including reconditioning the high voltage battery so I know a bit about them and how they work. But when it comes to the transmission I'm a little lost.

I found the description and operation and i kind of understand that. I need to know what the trans model is, I found it to be a NHW20 is that correct? I also need to know what models it fit, which I believe is 2004-2009. But as I get deeper I cant find information such as clutch control and solenoid charts/ hydraulic circuits/ electrical schematics/ input sensors and output control devices/ scan tool data/ A/T logic and adaptive strategies.

If anyone has any good resources or know anything please let me know!

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NHW20 is the general designation for the 2004 - 2009 2nd generation Prius - not for the transaxle.

What level of school are you attending - high school, community college, university?

Your best bet is to contact the Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor Michigan to see
    if they are willing to provide the information you are seeking.

If not, try contacting John Kelly at Weber State University. He has made several
    videos about Toyota Prius driveline components. He might be able to steer you in the
    right direction.

marcs_carhole likes this.
  3. rannie815

rannie815 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thank you I will try that. I go to a Technical College for Automotive Technology.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No existing Prius has a operable clutch*, there is a rumor that the 2017 Prius Prime will have a one way clutch. The Gen2 P112 transaxle may have a solenoid for the Parking Pawl, but aside from that, nothing ever shifts.

*There is a clutch that is always clamped not to rotate, in case the engine or transaxle locks up, the clutch will protect the other.

5. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe this PDF will help you.

Attached Files:

6. rannie815

rannie815 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius