1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III 30,000 service

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jhinsc, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Cyn13

Cyn13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same here my local dealerships in San Luis obispo and Santa Barbara County charged $275-300 for the 30k maint. why is it so high? a private "toyota" service shop... quoted me $110? and they said they do the same why the price diffc?

2. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because they can... :( Though the more serious answer is that there is a cost that dealerships have in having ALL of the technology (hopefully) to provide whatever service is needed on a Toyota. Add to that they are connected to the Toyota network, so all service is tracked - which might help in resell value when it come times to trade.

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't allow yourself to get ripped off like that. Do the filters yourself and get the oil changed for $20. Ok $40 bucks since its synthetic oil.
    Is everyone so helpless these days they must spend hundreds of dollars routinely at car dealers for a false 'peace of mind'?
    I'm gonna post a video of my 10 year old daughter doing the air filter/cabin air filter change on the Prius.
    Yeah it's so simple a child can do it.

car78412 and LulzChicken like this.
  5. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I plan on doing most of the maintenance myself, after finding similarly high prices ($130+ for the 1yr/10k services). Plus, my dealer offers a free annual checkup that covers most of the items on the 3yr/30k list, except the oil change, air filter change, and tire rotation (on the assumption that they might find something wrong - or pretend to - and can then sell you expensive service). I haven't tried it before, but I'll give it a shot. I also got a similar free inspection when I had the TSB applied for the oil change door.

6. mbartley

mbartley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IIRC from looking around back when my car was approaching 30k miles, they included replacing transaxle fluid in their 30k service coupon/ad.