1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III Coolant and ATF change problem-free

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mr Bill, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just wanted to report that I did my first replacement of coolant for the ICE and Inverter, and also the ATF for the CVT, and it went smoothly. I put jackstands under all 4 corners of my 2010 and got the car level, then removed the front wheels to make access easier. After removing the underpanels, I started with the CVT change. I found both the Input and Drain plugs extremely tight and thought I was going pull a muscle trying to break them loose, but they finally gave, and when they did it wasn't like they slowly started to turn - they just snapped loose and I was fortunate not to hurt my hand when they did. Anyway, after draining it I then refilled using the funnel & hose method, with my son pouring the ATF from above and me monitoring the fill from below. The aluminum washers for the plugs were in perfect condition, so I reused them.

My biggest area of concern was the ICE coolant change because of the problems reported in bleeding the system. I drained the system first using the radiator drain cock plug, and when that finished, I opened the drain cock plug on the engine block - (that was a waste of time as hardly anything came out... maybe a few tablespoons of fluid). After closing the drain cock plugs, I opened the Air Release Valve and attached a 15-18 inch clear hose to it so I could see when fluid started coming out of it. Proceeded to fill the coolant reservoir until I saw a spurt of the coolant appear in the hose, then closed the valve and removed the hose, and topped off the coolant reservoir to the 'B' line. Put the car in Maintenance Mode using the manual method (i.e., pressing the accelerator pedal and alternating between Park and Neutral) and ran it about 20-25 minutes, shut it off for half an hour, then ran it another 20-25 minutes and stopped.

The Inverter was the easiest of all. After draining the old fluid and tightening the drain plug, I filled the Inverter's coolant reservoir to the full mark and had my son watch the fluid level while I put the car in 'Ready' mode. I counted 'one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two' and my son said "Stop"; the reservoir was almost empty. We repeated this routine two more times and the fluid level stayed at Full.

It has now been 5 days and over 500 miles since I did this. The coolant level of the ICE dropped from the 'B'-line to just barely above the Full mark and is holding steady. The Inverter has remained at the Full mark. The CVT sounds and performs just like before and there are no leaks anywhere.

I spent $84 for the Toyota Coolant and ATF fluids; my Dealer wanted $99 for the ICE change, $99 for the Inverter change, and $269 for the CVT change... I saved $383 doing it myself in just 5 hours total.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    $269 for the transaxle fluid change is preposterous, they're either usurious or just ill-informed regarding what's involved. To be fair it could be the latter: since Toyota doesn't include it in the maintenance schedule they could be clueless. Tideland Prius and one other reported in Canada the transaxle fluid change was $79.95.

For easier removal of drain bolts a breaker bar is handy. Basically a wrench with a longer handle.

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For once, it's cheaper in Canada! Yeah I was quoted over the phone as $79.95 for the AT fluid chance. My service is next week so I'll report back.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great work!

6. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Bill,

Do you happen to have the PDF for the engine and inverter coolant drain and refill? I happen to have lost mine and searching through the forum was a no-go since I couldn't find the thread with the PDF's in them.

7. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Attached Files:

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good info...Although I am experienced...I'm always eager to know more.

Knowledge is like having "tools in the tool box."

The more tools you have available; the more likely for success in your endeavor.

9. LostViet408

LostViet408 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Bill! Question, is the inspection mode for the Gen 3 is the same procedure as the Gen 2?

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here you go:

I think all the gas pedal pushes and gear shifts are after a single push of the Start button, without foot on brake pedal. Then the start button is pushed a second time WITH foot on brake (normal start). Have I got that right? Haven't tried it myself.

Attached Files:

burrito and frodoz737 like this.
  11. LostViet408

LostViet408 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Mendel.

12. Colm01

Colm01 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great Information. I have to change my coolant soon in both the ICE and IPM.This post will be very helpful. I was curious about how do you drain the coolant from the exhaust heat exchanger and the lines down to it? They are both lower than the ICE and radiator. Any ideas?

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the radiator drain is lower? Or you just don't drain the exhaust heat exchanger? The repair manual says to open the radiator petcock, and remove the engine block drain bolt, nothing else.

14. Colm01

Colm01 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks Mendel. If it's not mentioned in the repair manual then as you state, it must drain or it is a non issue. I'll look at the heat exchanger when I change the coolant and report back if it has a drain on it.

15. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's the mileage for doing this?

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  17. Colm01

Colm01 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I changed the transaxle fluid and inverter coolant last night. I used the hand pump method to pump the new fluid back in. It was quite messy. I would recommend the funnel with a long hose from the top.I did not see a drain on the exhaust heat exchanger, but there were constant tension spring clamps on the hoses. I suppose the hose could be removed to drain it.

18. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Question?

It says "inspect" transaxle fluid pretty much every 30K miles. What does that mean? Check the level? Take a sample? Do you even do a "drain and fill" to replace it entirely?

I presume "inspection" of the inverter/engine coolant is to check it's level.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I made that graph of the U.S. schedule purely to summarize the multi page format.

I see no point to checking the transaxle fluid level. I changed mine at 1 year (around 15000 km), then a couple of years later (around 40000 km). The second time seemed overkill.

My take: the check is pointless. If there's nothing leaking, and the level was good to begin with, it won't change.

With coolant I finally broke down and bought a bottle of the toyota pre- mix, topped up the reservoirs. Just do it when the car's pretty much cool. And yeah, that's all to the coolant check I think.

I'm gonna stick with the schedule for coolant change I think. Might let dealership do it; it seems a pain in the @ss with prius.

I'm not averse to DIY coolant change, doing our son's Civic in a week or two. They're fairly simple. Maybe overthinking the Prius coolant change, not really sure right now.

#19 Mendel Leisk, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  20. nedear88

nedear88 My 1st Prius.

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just change my 2011 IV ICE and inverter coolant today at a specialized hybrid garage called "Luscious Garage" in San Francisco, they have it done about 1 hour, they charge $168 labor ( I provide my own Toyota Coolant and return 1/2 gallon un-use). I just don't have the time to do it myself, it's 4 years @ 115K+ miles, I watched them change it...they just drained the inverter and radiator (not engine block).

I have quote from dealer for the ICE and inverter change parts and labor over $350...!!! I have to drop car for a day vs this independence shop did it while I am waiting and able to watched them change it. This garage is so cool and green, paperless and high tech. I definitely recommend this garage for services.

nicoj36 likes this.