1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III nearing 90k miles, usually sell a car at 90k.. BUT

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by techno-Zen, Jan 8, 2015.

1. techno-Zen

techno-Zen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just love my Prius and I don't want to sell it. Realistically how long can a Prius run before signifiant issues take place? I drive 18k miles per year on average.

The reason I sell before 90k is because value usually drops like a rock once you pas the 100k mark.

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check used Prius values at Cars.com, or CarGurus.com and you'll see that they hold pretty well, even with high mileage. We have a 2005 Gen II with 140K miles, and still going strong.

3. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I give mine to my children at 50K.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with $2. gas you can get some great deals, and yours is proxy still a decent value. i would look into dumping it before gas goes back up.

5. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's probably never been a better time to buy a new one if that's what you want. But unless you've got a real lemon on your hands, I'd have a hard time making any practical, fact-based argument for dumping yours. "Want" is a perfectly legitimate reason for doing it though, finances permitting of course.

We're at just a tick over 90k as well, just did the front bearings and brakes, need to do the back brakes before inspection probably. I'm looking forward to many more years of payment-free life from it as we aren't piling up nearly the kind of mileage now that we did for it's first 4 years.

ETC(SS) likes this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reader's Digest Version:
    I expect that most Priuses will last about 250,000 miles before enough things start breaking on them (HVAC, Brakes, Suspension, etc....) to warrant putting them out to pasture.

Longer Answer:
    That depends on what you mean by "value."
    Me?
    I don't see the point in making $300 a month car payments for the rest of my life when I can put some of that money into a house or into savings.
    I usually run cars out to 250,000 miles, which for me usually works out to about 10-12 years.
    There's just something about not making monthly car payments that I kinda like.
    My 2006 has been paid for since 2009, and my total repairs for this car are under $2000 - lifetime. (150,000 miles and still going strong)
    My 2009 has been paid for since 2011, and it's just getting broken in (80,000 miles.) I probably have about $300 worth of out of pocket repairs for this truck.

You do the math.

If you're disciplined enough to put your monthly car payment into the bank month over month when your 2010 is paid off and you do routine maintenance, with a dash of good luck you'll be able to pay cash for your next car.
    At the very least you can reduce your outlay significantly and pay off the new car in 2-3 years with very low payments.....which is how it usually shakes out for me.
    I'd like to be able to pay cash for my next car, but I'll probably have to settle for low payments over 36 months with an early payoff.
    If you're in your twenties or thirties?
    You can do better than I did!!!

Putting money into a bank account every month isn't nearly as much fun as rolling new sheet metal every 4 years, but I promise you that when you get a little older it will work out a lot better in the long run.

Good Luck!

#6 ETC(SS), Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    HybridBull, Tande and jjPrius like this.
  7. techno-Zen

techno-Zen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm still hoping for a dramatically re-designed Prius also. If I were to sell it now and get another, it's basically the same body type. I love the current body type but i'd like to look at something new if I move on..

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hear ya. if you wait till late this year, you'll have the choice of new gen at msrp, or old at discount. all the best!(y)

9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    we have 2010 with 165K; no major problems except for busting one rear hub by clipping curb. Checked the traction battery and it is fine.

Co-worker's family has 2 Gen2 with 250 and 300K, but some of the issues are more time related not mileage.

My son drives a Mazda with 430K which we got new 18 years ago. IMO the modern cars designed to go long distance, and Prius maintenance schedule is easier than others. As long as you use synthetics and change oil regularly, do basic maintenance they will do fine for at least 8-10 years. Then they might need some attention (valve seals, water pump, alternator, clutch), and they will be fine for another 5-6 years.

If you have a dog have the hybrid battery cleaned it is air cooled so any sucked in hair will reduce cooling capacity and shortens lifespan.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hybrid battery 'fan'.