1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III non-JBL Dash Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by xs650, Jun 21, 2011.

1. cymaster007

cymaster007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Has anyone upgraded the stock (NON-JBL) speakers in the dash with premium prius JBL speakers? Is it worth it? I recently upgraded the door speakers to infinity 6x9 thanks to the input and guides from everyone here but I am also considering changing out the squawkers.

I am wondering if the JBL speakers from another gen 3 prius would be plug-and-play or even sound better than the stock speakers....

2. Thumper33

Thumper33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Awesome document, but how much of it applies when the JBL system is in question?

I just got my 2010 Prius 4 with JBL and I have a set of 6.5" components from my last car that I'm trying to drop in. I'm trying to see how much power the stock JBL amp is running and what the crossover frequency of that system is. I'm afraid I'll pop a tweeter if I just hook it straight up and I don't want to do that.

I've looked everywhere for this info and can't seem to find it. If I have to I can dig out an oscilloscope and find out. I just didn't want to go that far if I don't have to.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Swapping speakers on an existing crossover is fraught with potential problems. Different speakers have different D/C loads, which alters the crossover and the amp output. So there's as much chance of hurting the amp/crossover as there is of hurting the speaker. The JBL speakers are pretty good, there's really not much point in messing with them unless you're changing out the entire system. Besides which, the difference between 2 different 6.5" drivers in the same system will be small even under the best of circumstances.

4. MikeInOrlando

MikeInOrlando Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your PDF says you wished you tried installing it without cutting a whole in the grill. Any idea if it would fit?

5. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wouldn't bother. Get some decent aftermarket speakers.

The JBL oem speakers are 2 ohm speakers, which is the height of idiocy.

You would likely cook your non-jbl OEM amp. In addition, the voltage drop of the factory wiring will likely be significant.
    If people were smart and used any decent kind of switching amp, they would run 8 ohm speakers. That way, the wiring could be half as thick. But all car amps and most speakers are 4 ohms, so you are pretty much stuck with it. All connectors have some voltage drop and make some heat. Doubling the current, and hence the voltage drop is crazy talk.

6. MikeInOrlando

MikeInOrlando Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Trying to understand the pro vs cons of various suggestions and get suggestions. I have already read various Priuschat install posts. I am not looking for "hi-end" sound, but just want to clean up the boominess.

1) Install the Infinity Reference 9632CF w/ Pioneer 3.5 Dash
    2) Install the Infinity Reference 9632CF w/ 1" Tweeter such as the Infinity Reference 1031t

Also:
    Any other suggestion for easy to install/fits factory grill 3.5 dash speakers? I looked everywhere and the Polk's suggested are out of production.
    Any other ideas for a budget install. The local shops here keep trying to see me on amps and $1000 upgrades.
    Has anyone installed the Sound Ordanance self-powered subwoofer?