1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III Prius, 51 city mpg, Myth or Fact ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Iceman123, Apr 22, 2010.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's easy to get high city mpg if the car is already warmed up. Drive around for a bit until it's fully warmed up, reset the Trip/mpg odometer, then do some city driving. You'll see your mpg shoot up compared to a normal trip.

2. richard13

richard13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've always thought of "city" as anything that is not "highway". I think this makes sense since on a highway (barring traffic) there are no real obstacles to traffic flow and thus can travel at high speed consistently. In the "city" regardless of political boundaries or population density you have much lower speed limits, lights, pedestrians, bicyclists, dogs, cats, etc. that will slow you down or stop you. By these definitions I travel almost exclusively in "city" and get about 52 MPG on average by tankful.

3. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Erikon, I would like to know your secret. You have described my typical use of my Prius and yet I'm currently only averaging 42 MPG. (see my other post started yesterday in the Fuel Economy forum for the details: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-fuel-economy/79502-realistic-mileage-my-commute.html) I guess my average speed is probably closer to 25 MPH w/ all the stoplights, stop signs etc. but I'm finding that 4 miles is not enough to get the engine warmed up to its most efficient temp. Should also mention that I'm only on my second tank of gas, so I know I'm still in the "break-in" period...

4. Iceman123

Iceman123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree with you on getting better mpg on the Prius in city driving ,compared to the average car, but wasn't that the reason we bought it, it should give us 4 times as much. I also agree with you that what I ask in City MPG should reflect more of a city environment instead on how they test. Then again most tests are not done by the EPA, up to 85% of them, they are done by the Automobile companies ! Here is some links on EPA MPG, testing , performance and the general public perception of their tests.

The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Most fuel-efficient cars

EPA Fuel Economy Ratings Have Shortfalls Of Up To 50 Percent

As far as city driving to highway driving, seems that you can't tell the difference(Traffic lights,double parked cars, parked cars ,yielding to pedestrians ,car lanes , period of full stop , speed limits ,buses that impede your movement, school zones , stop signs ,turning at lower speeds ,cars looking to park , traffic light congestion ,Taxis & car service abruptly stopping in traffic, kids playing in the street, cars pulling out of driveways).

In your own drive, you stopped 4 times to "0" mileage, for 10 -30 second durations in your first 10 minutes, count how many times you needed to do that on the Gowanus and the BQE, I didn't count any for that long of a wait, in your longer period of driving. Either you drove continuously or you can creep and crawl in EV for bumper to bumper traffic and not need to speed beyond 10-15 mph, which gives you 100 mpg.

Please don't compare highway to city driving. The title to the thread says "51 City MPG, myth or fact" ? To have drivers post real city MPG, higher or lower, w/o bias and w/o tainted results(If you need type B blood, A and B would not suffice).

5. Iceman123

Iceman123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I concur and you do get great MPG, but some cities have more of that then others.

6. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Please look at the excellent video on the PC thread "New MAX MPG video." Excellent how-to video.

I routinely get better than 51 city mpg now that it is warm. So many responders to this and other threads talk about using the PWR button, or not wanting to slow up traffic. I admit, if I lived in Houston (I have family there) I could not get 51 mpg the way they drive..... a "race" from one light to the next, then the next.

Look at the video and try to learn the technique.

7. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II

Is something is wrong with your car.

8. RadioMan

RadioMan Mod Maniac

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've had my Gen III for 8 months and I drive on a 45-55 MPH road to town 10 miles- then noodle around in traffic for about 10 miles and come back out typically. I average 61.5 mpg. Uh huh. Sure, I drive for mileage, but I also do a few PWR mode full-on accelerations in any trip - to make the F350's next to me at the light mad. A few hard bursts have little effect on MPG. On the highway, it is much worse. I get 45mpg at 75mph. Sure, at 65mph, you can get just over 50mpg. It is also very effected my wind.
    It is all about driving technique, and if you are a lead-foot in town, you can get mpg's in the 40's. I figured I'd do a video about how to drive for MPG. It is here.

Also, remember, winter gas formulations have less energy, so you will get 10% less in winter.

Bob - Hot Springs

9. Iceman123

Iceman123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So you're comparing anything in Utah to the NYC area, whats your point ? Been in your neck of the woods, Salt Lake is hardly considered a town in Buffalo and Buffalo is no metropolis in NY. Do you have a traffic light , every 300 feet ? Cousin Johnny's house is 2 traffic lights away in 15 miles of driving, you will hit an average of 40-50 mph in your neighborhood. Drive 15 miles strictly city here, you'll sit at 20 lights . No amount of gliding is gonna help you if you need to wait between 30- 60 sec for each light . Part of living in an urban area , is having everything nearby , 1 -5 miles away,which means short duration driving , w/o a block heater. Traveling 2 miles may take 10 minutes here and it means looking for a parking spot. I would assume under the same circumstances it would take 2 minutes for you and you would pull into a strip mall for easy parking or enter your buddy's driveway. But I know this is not the same circumstance and you have to travel longer distances from your house, with allot easier traffic flow, where you can time that traffic light 3/4 mile away.

If you read my previous posts, I have the technique...If I need to really go a distance, I don't kill time driving in the city , I hop on the highway and get excellent MPG and even allot better then the 48 MPG stated if I hit some highway traffic.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Iceman, PHV Prius would be perfect for you. You can drive an hour or two with the 13.5 miles range. ;)

11. Iceman123

Iceman123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Very educational, does your village have only 1 light ?

Come visit NYC(Brooklyn,Queens,Mahnhattan and the Bronx) sometime and do a video . There is no such thing as open driving like that here. You would get a ticket at the speed limit you're driving at.
    You panned several times from your window, only once can you see a traffic light .If you pan here , you will see a row of them .To the left and to the right too and the lights are not sequenced most of the time . We also have buildings here, not open grasslands, with allot more traffic.

Whats funny, is at 4.8 miles of driving, your trip meter said 34.7 MPG:D, you having some MPG problems(I know your car is still warming up) ? At 4.8 miles here, we stopped by grandma to say hello , picked up groceries and dropped off the kids at their friend's house , with equivalent horrible MPG.Also 4.8 miles here means your 5 neighborhoods over.

The open stretches you have is comparable to our highways, which are never as empty here as your example.

I do understand that is what you call "CITY"(Your city environment doesn't come to mind, if someone says "CITY" to me) and by definition on what most of the people here get their results on.

All in the same, at the end of the day we'll average all the city driving MPG .

Thanks for your post !

12. Iceman123

Iceman123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I was saying that to myself in hindsight , but I will be doing allot of highway driving soon too. This month was a local stretch and parking In NYC cost $$$, that's why most of us take trains too.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It depends greatly on where and when. You can always jump on the highway too. Are you talking about during rush hour? Where do you live?

14. Iceman123

Iceman123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hehe, you keep comparing highway to city. What I meant , since this was a City MPG thread , let him do a video strictly in our city environment, here, w/o getting on the highway(Not,like you did ). If you saw his video, his video is nothing like yours(The first 10 minutes of your drive),his had no traffic lights in sight and plenty of grassland with no buildings(Open space driving), quite impossible to get horrible MPG .

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    City traffic is really vague! You presented a worst case city traffic. I presented thr best case (1st Ave). They don't last forever and thing do average out. There are alternatives routes such as highway. I mentioned highway because they are in the city and in the realworld, someone has to be really hardheaaded to drive through 100 stop signs for 2 hours when there is a highway alternative.

51 MPG you indicated in the title was refeering to EPA simulated traffic. If you have the same exact route, it will be a fact. If you have better or worse route, it will be a myth.

16. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Iceman, maybe you should have restricted your thread to NYC drivers only, since that is the only place that meets your definition of a city. I believe when they say "city" in these tests, they do a mix of urban and suburban runs. Also note that under the 51 MPG it says "Expected range for MOST drivers - 43 to 59", some may get less, some may get more!

1 person likes this.
  17. Iceman123

Iceman123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmmm, why are you people difficult ?...Does it say somewhere that you need to travel in the city at 50 miles at a time ? You ever here of taking your car out for 10 trips(different day, same day, day or night)in the city and you only do 50 miles for those 10 trips altogether ?

Here is a thread that disagrees with 50% of you :

Make a commitment to drive less, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by walking to some nearby destinations. It's good for your health and the environment. Approximately 50% of car use is for trips within 3 miles of the home. This distance is within the range for easy biking, so it makes sense to try to use your bike for some of these short hops. You'll be saving fuel and reducing pollution, and you can also save on trips to the gym with this added exercise.[/FONT]

Fuel-efficient driving

Only problem is most of my car use, can't be exchanged for a bike .

18. Iceman123

Iceman123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I have no problem , if people mix a suburban "City" run in their MPG, as long as they don't taint their MPG by getting on a highway,freeway or expressway.Its perfectly understandable that people don't live in as a dense an area as I and as a product of that their MPG is phenomenal compared to my city short spurt drives. As said, I don't waste my time driving in the City for long distances, if I need to get somewhere I hop on the highway.So city driving is strictly limited to short durations.Simply said, in this city, long duration city driving is limited to taxi drivers and delivery people.

There are more reputable professional drivers then myself, that reach similar statistics that I get in city MPG and highway MPG.They get 32 city 55 highway... a far cry then 51 city 48 highway ...A total flip flop like my driving.

Most fuel-efficient cars

19. JATiii

JATiii Druid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Iceman: Are you asking how the rest of us fare in "City" driving, suggesting that Toyota exaggerates the EPA City driving figures for the Prius or just out to get in an argument? Folks have told you what they are experiencing based upon their actual day-to-day driving.

This is a good article explaining the EPA procedure:

"The "city" program is designed to replicate an urban rush-hour driving experience in which the vehicle is started with the engine cold and is driven in stop-and-go traffic with frequent idling. The car or truck is driven for 11 miles and makes 23 stops over the course of 31 minutes, with an average speed of 20 mph and a top speed of 56 mph.

The "highway" program, on the other hand, is created to emulate rural and interstate freeway driving with a warmed-up engine, making no stops (both of which ensure maximum fuel economy). The vehicle is driven for 10 miles over a period of 12.5 minutes with an average speed of 48 mph and a top speed of 60 mph. Both fuel economy tests are performed with the vehicle's air conditioning and other accessories turned off."

Interestingly, the article goes on to suggest that the tests for hybrids are a bit optimistic. I have always felt the numbers were an index used to compare vehicles, not predict my actual consumption.

20. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Interesting article but leaves a few question marks in my mind.

I may have missed it but wasn't clear to me how they measure the effect of wind resistance. If they don't measure it, how do they allow for it?

The statement in the article "Most experts feel the EPA's ratings for hybrid vehicles tend to be overstated by a factor of at least 20 percent. This discrepancy can be wider yet if a motorist drives primarily on the highway, where hybrids tend to be less efficient than in stop-and-go city driving conditions (during which the electric motor shoulders more of the effort)" does not identify any "experts" and seems peculiar.

If the battery is at the same state of charge before and after the test then the measurements should be reasonably accurate (consumption may vary a bit depending on the effect of the starting battery state).

If the battery is not at the same state of charge at beginning and end of the test then the results could be either high or llow and do not mean much.