1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III Prius, 51 city mpg, Myth or Fact ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Iceman123, Apr 22, 2010.

1. richard13

richard13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not sure if this was brought up I might have missed a post or two. You should also be aware that there's a difference between the consumption rate the Prius estimates and your actual MPG. For instance, when I said I get 52MPG on average this is the calculated (or real) MPG. My Prius consistently over reports my consumption by 5-7% (about 55-58MPG).

So, your already "low" MPG is probably even lower. :(

2. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The 51 MPG for the 2010 Prius is actually an AVERAGE across the whole model line (II to V). I was told when I bought my IV last summer that Toyota was "controlling" the numbers of each model sold in the US, with II's and III's more readily available and IV's and V's less so. The V's were the hardest to get (high non-refundable deposit, longer wait time). Note that the IV's and V's are heavier due to the solar sunroof and 17" wheel options on them, respectively, and also note that the solar sunroof isn't offered on the V's in the US. Toyota tried to stack the deck on the 2010 Prius by making II's and III's more available so that overall, they would more closely achieve the EPA mileage ratings in real life.

Also note that an informal scan of the responses in this thread appears to show that people with II's and III's report better mileage than those with IV's and V's.

So, if you're a IV owner like me, don't expect to get 51 MPG or greater without pulse & glide & other techniques unless you live in a warm, flat area with moderate to low traffic congestion. I'm actually approaching that with crazy hills all over but with more highway than city miles.

3. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I will not disagree with you ...but I have had a different experience.
    I own a IV, and now that it is warm, I am achieving 51 mpg(calculated) and better, and every tank includes at least one trip over a 6500 foot elevation mountain pass. I have discovered that going up the grade the mileage (indicated) drops as you would expect, however, going down the other side, it increases to an indicated level that is slightly greater than was indicated before going up. I go up maintaining the speed limit, but on the down side, I watch the HSI display, and try to stay in the "sweet spot" ... so in effect, I try to "glide" down. It is working for me.

4. Iceman123

Iceman123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This thread was started to ask people if they got 51 or not and state what they got , a higher or lower MPG, with a basis on how many people drive in "city" for short durations(Low MPG) or long durations(Higher MPG).Concluding(Although not totally scientific)in the end, what an average Prius driver gets in MPG city, contrary to the basis(Mechanical testing) of how 51 MPG was estimated.

I would think that you would agree, that the basis of what I'm asking for is allot closer to what people perceive, through their driving experience, is city MPG and highway MPG. Compared to the 1% of drivers that know exactly how the EPA(Or automobile company)arrive to their conclusion (Thanks to your post, more know) of MPG .

EPA was brought in the picture again, when the basis of what I'm asking for as a "CITY" result was contested in which I brought contesting articles to the EPA standard.

So, would you say that the article you posted, suggests that 51 city MPG, is a myth?

Would you say that the article suggests that rural driving is not city, as many here post as city(As I say can count as City MPG) ?

2 videos were posted in this thread, on both accounts they claim they get awesome city mileage. 1 (Radioman) drove in a rural environment and claimed that he got 61.5 mpg city, but at 4.8 miles(about 1/2 what the EPA test is, at 11 miles)he got 34.7 MPG(7:14 in his video). The other(USseawolf) said he was getting 70 mpg city.He drove in a true city environment before he jumped on the highway, he got 28 MPG in his first 5 min(7:07 in his video), with stopping several times.He continued on the highway and indeed got great mileage using great glide and pulse method w/o almost coming to any stops as he should using the Prius.His average mph was 33 ,still higher then the 20 city mph calculation the EPA uses for City MPG .

I didn't ask for people to get on a highway and post their results in this thread.Some of those that got very good results in their driving, often are critical of a person(Such as myself) that gets true city MPG at a low range and then ridicule him on getting some driving tips(Which often gets a response), where in many cases "their" results were tainted(Rural driving). I have no objection to their conclusion of their city MPG, for the most part and will count their MPG in the total average.

Now, if you take the 2 video examples of low MPG in "City" driving for short durations, An average of close to 30 mpg(Which can also be corroborated with other threads here on short duration driving) , combine that with the fact of , 50% of car use(Frequency of getting into your car for a drive) is done within 3 miles of your house(Which lets say accounts for 25% of "city" driving miles), you would need an approximation of 65 City MPG for the other 75% of city miles to make 51 MPG on the Prius a "FACT", from all the other people's driving experiences !!!...

5. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Indyking... Er, Iceman, no one except you drives your specific route under your particular conditions. The best we can do is report what we get during our regular commutes. I'm betting there are points during your trips where the instant mileage display would show great numbers, but the final number for the whole trip is poor. Anyway, you dismiss anything that doesn't conform to your dissatisfied view of the car, so this is becoming another pointless troll exercise.

6. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not an average. It was one car.

"Manufacturers do not test every new vehicle offered for sale. They are only required to test one representative vehicle—typically a preproduction prototype—for each combination of loaded vehicle weight class, transmission class, and basic engine."

from Which Vehicles Are Tested

Toyota stated at the time that they had underestimated the demand for the vehicles equipped with the higher option packages - note that the III is also available with solar roof, and these were also difficult to get hold of.