1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III Prius Cabin Filter Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by dorunron, Dec 13, 2014.

1. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay everyone.

Been talk on here recently about the filters that are found in the Toyota Prius. The subject at hand is the cabin filter which is hidden behind the lower glove box.

There are alternatives and different part numbers for said filter.

You can buy the regular paper filter (OEM & Aftermarket). You can also purchase a more expensive filter that is impregnated with activated Charcoal. These filters are great for cars that tend to stink. A smokers car definitely should have one of these.

Doing maintenance on our beloved 2013 the stealer recommended to clean and or replace our cabin filter at 15K miles. I elected to purchase a new one. I did remove the OEM factory filter and found a few leaves and quite a bit of dust. I proceeded to blow it out with compressed air. The filter looked great, but decided to replace it anyway. I went with a OEM filter, but also opted out for the more expensive Carbon Filter. Below is a copy of the invoice which shows the price and part # of the filter.

Hope this helps everyone in their ongoing maintenance of their Prius!

Charcoal Cabin Filter Gen III Prius.jpg

Ron (dorunron)

2. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch! I bought the same filter on Amazon for $29.02 Prime shipping 3 days ago. Installed it yesterday and took all but 3 minutes.

FuelMiser and dorunron like this.
  3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bought this 2 months ago:

dorunron likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks ron. question, when you set your mode to recirc, what path does the cabin air take?

5. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I requested my local dealership replace my wife's new RAV4's cabin filter with the carbon filter as it was stinking like mildew, oh and to spray it with thier special "foam" to disinfect the pipes....

They contacted toyota and did so to appease me /us. It is def less stinky with the carbon filter, but what I gained from this experience is that it is imperative to keep the AC system on fresh air and not recirculate......

...Unless it is mid summer and recirculate will help but pls be sure to set AC to fresh air a few mins before you arrive at your destination to clear the pipes of the unwanted moisture that causes the nasty smell which is an accumulation of moisture from the ac.

:)

WolfpackBill likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    AC use leaves the small AC radiator in the air flow coated in moisture, and all the surrounding passages and drain tubes as well. The latter can clog, making matters worse. When that moisture lingers, you can get mildew. A filter is not going to prevent this, might actually delay evaporation of the moisture.

7. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Right, so was I right in my above statement to use "fresh air" on a consistent basis and not "recirculate" as advised by local stealership.... To help alleviate said unwanted moisture.....

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Path? Well, naturally it would mean that NO fresh air is being introduced into the cabin from the outside. I would guess the air would actually go around in a circle. I would also guess it would still pass through the cabin filter, but am not sure of anything except for death and taxes.

I do know this much. If you are on recirc, the heat actually does not work as good as when it is on fresh air. On the other hand, the A/C works best if you have it on recirc. I know that none of that makes sense, nor does this post even begin to answer your question bisco. It is the best I can give you... I guess I am having a dorunron moment LOL.

I do agree with the above though that when you use the A/C, it is a good idea to not use "recirc" all of the time, otherwise you do run the risk of mold in the system. It has been written by many here on this board to actually power down the A/C compressor for a couple of minutes after use to dry the "evaporater" in the system to alleviate any chance of mold.

Ron (dorunron)

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any time you use AC, regardless of fresh or recirc, a lot of moisture accumulates in the system. It's like a cold glass of water collecting moisture on the outset. The two things I can think of to offset problems:

1. Minimize AC use.

2. Switch off AC, but keep fan running, 5-10 minutes before your destination, give the humidity a chance to exhaust.

dorunron likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's strange, i can't find anything in the manual, but if you're not pulling outside air, it has to take it in from somewhere in the cabin when your on recirc. maybe it's under the dashboard somewhere.

11. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ron, is your thinking that by buying the more expensive CF filter you won't have to replace it as often? Based on the debris I saw when I cleaned my filter, I can see the need for the filter, but I'm not sure about the need to replace it very often. I often drive with my window open and nothing filters that air. Obviously, the air coming in through the filter has different particulates in it, but I'm confused as to how "clogged" these filters get. OEMs tend to "recommend" replacement on time/distance schedules, but that doesn't really say much about the "need" to replace them.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Actually the maintenance guide suggests inspection and cleaning, replacement only if it's severely clogged, evidenced by dramatic decrease in air flow.

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I choose to use the Carbon Filter due to it's ability to remove odors from the air within the cabin.

If you remove the filter periodically and clean it with compressed air, the longevity of the filter is lengthened. However, nothing beats replacing it once it gets real dirty. We have all seen the pics of the mouse poop, bird nest's and so forth that get piled up on those neglected filters. It is like anything else that requires maintenance. You can pay me now, or pay me later...

14. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's not the way I read it. It does say up top to "clean", but later down it says to "replace". The Note just adds that life could be shortened if one lives in a dusty area, etc.

30,000 miles or 36 months
    Check installation of driver’s floor mat
    Clean cabin air filter (vehicles with solar power ventilation system)
    Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
    Inspect wiper blades
    Replace cabin air filter (vehicles without solar power ventilation system)
    Replace engine air filter
    Replace engine oil and oil filter
    Rotate tires

15. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Ron.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pat wong says if you can see the sun through it, you're good to go.

17. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    How often you need to replace it depends on how polluted and dirty the air is where you live. I live in the Chicago area. The air is very polluted here. My cabin filter is extremely dirty (black) at 10,000 miles. I replace mine then.

dorunron likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Yes, the environment plays a big part. Dry climate, dusty roads, not so good.

We're past 49000 kms, yet to change either filter. The engine filter in particular looks brand new. It's our rainy clime I guess.

19. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I get that. My only point was that the manual does recommend replacing at 30,000 miles, so when the dealer suggests it based solely on miles, what to do? FWIW, I'm not convinced the black color means it needs to be replaced. Have you checked it before the 10,000 and found it wasn't black? I didn't change mine at 10,000, but I might now just to see how quickly it becomes black. Does brake dust get sucked in there?

20. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    What causes mine to get black is the polluted air in Chicago. When it gets about 10,000 miles on it I hold it up to the sun to determine if I can see through it and at that point I can not. You live in a different part of the country so you may get more mileage out of your's than I do. If a dealer recommended that I change it solely on miles I don't think I would do that. I would replace it according to how dirty it is. Yes, I have checked mine before 10,000 miles. I just checked it when I had it in to Toyota for maintenance. It had about 5,000 miles on it. The mechanic had checked it and put it in with the arrow pointing the wrong way. I had driven it about 1,000 miles and it was black but I could see light through it. I changed it because of the miles I had driven with it installed the wrong way.