1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III Prius Cabin Filter Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by dorunron, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I remember taking ours out, and puzzling for a moment, as to which way to put it back. Maybe a label saying "UP" would help, I mean: it's not readily apparent which way the air is flowing.

Also, kinda depressing: wonder what your lungs look like, living around Chicago? :sick:

2. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, those would be my thoughts too, but I'm new to Toyota and not sure how much I need to adhere to the "recommendations". Like you, I use compressed air to clean it and then hold it up to the light. Mine's black too, but I can still see through it just fine. I was just wondering how quickly a new one gets discolored and if just being discolored was a reason to change it.

3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Probably can't hurt to hit it with Lysol when checking the filter if not replacing it. Makes it smell good and disinfects any bacteria...

4. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I certainly agree, can't help but wonder what your lungs look like living in Chicago. The way I figure a cabin filter position is that on an OEM filter the arrow showing up is exactly the way the cabin filter show be positioned, UP. On other than an OEM filter the UP indication on some filters means to position it in the direction of the airflow. I'm confused about that. I don't know in which direction the airflow is. Another reason I use OEM cabin filters.

5. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just my opinion. I don't think just being discolored is a reason to change it. Just change it if you can no longer see the sunlight through it. A Toyota parts person told me the reason my OEM filter gets dirty so fast is because of the polluted air in Chicago and that the OEM filters are better filters and they trap more dirty air particles. I'm inclined to believe him.

6. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did go to LA for a few days right before I checked the filter. ;) I've also heard that about Toyota filters, at least as far as standard filters are concerned., but I haven't checked the specs.

7. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    #27 IanIanIanIan, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Finally changed mine out for the first time with the toyota oem cabin air filter purchased from amazon direct.

Car has close to 30,000 miles. Not so dirty. A few leaves and somewhat grayish. I could have probably vacuumed it out but it's been a year so worth the $$.

So simple. I can't be the dealer charges so much.

9. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FWIW.....the "Compressed Air" cleaning method may not be a terrific idea......I am convinced the high pressure air will "Separate" the filter fibers .......diminishing its ability to "Filter"......The "Shake & Tap" method is your friend! (y)......again, FWIW......

10. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    when I changed mine at 30k it was black. That surprised me since we don't live in a polluted area. I then came to the conclusion that
    the charcoal in the filter was the cause of the black color.

11. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tried that/
    in a gentle way; nevertheless, the filter just broke in parts/
    it looked almost like it was brittle/
    (it was in the car for 9 month/20.000 miles)
    bought this one here for $10.45

12. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I forgot to mention that the original cabin air filter in my Prius 2013 looked a lot thicker and seemed to have more pleats to it.

I am sure I bought a Toyota oem cabin air filter. It was in a toyota box with part#

Toyota Genuine Parts 87139-YZZ08 Cabin Air Filter
    Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

The new one I installed seems flimsy and less pleats (folds) on the filter.

Other than that it is an exact fit. Did not want to pay more for the carbon version.

13. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I just bought a new charcoal cabin filter. Even new, it is black.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this doesn't seem right to me. i got a cheap flimsy one from auto zone and i'm going to return it. someone said toyota makes three qualities, two plain and one charcoal. i don't know how to look up the part numbers though, it's very confusing. was the side marked with an arrow for airflow direction, or with an arrow an 'up'?

15. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    With an arrow and up. Part number is right.

16. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just bought our 2013 used w/20K miles after 1-1/2 years on the first owner. I have changed the cabin filter in our 2005 annually, so I was prepared to inspect and check the cabin filter in the 2013. Bought the OEM Toyota filter from Amazon. The filter was definitely dirty (dust and leaves), so was glad to have the new filter in. Couple of points: the Toyota filter has an UP arrow showing which direction to install it. Next, some have questioned what happens when running in Recirc mode. I noticed a flap right above the filter access panel that opens up allowing interior air through the filter, so it comes from the cabin back through the cabin filter.

17. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Might be wrong with the arrow but definitely had the word UP written on it.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'up' is definitely oem, all the aftermarket ones i've seen say flow, because they can mark all filters the same instead of having to figure out which vehicles are up, and which are down. which is a pain for the user if you don't know which way the air moves.

i would like to find out if there are really two levels of oem quality.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just curious, does it matter which way a new filter is installed? Obviously you don't want to reverse it's orientation later, but is there anything inherently directional about the filter.

FWIW, ours is at 49000 kms, still looking pretty good, due to rain forest clime? I can't get too excited about it, I mean: it's not the engine filter. That one's looking near-new too.

#39 Mendel Leisk, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if there wasn't, why the arrow? maybe so if you clean it, you put it back in the same direction?