1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III, Prius II Stereo Speed Sensor Lock Bypass

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Hank101, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hank101

Hank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not have the Nav/JBL head unit, just the basic Gen III Prius II head unit, and would like to disable the speed sensor lock capability of the unit, like others have done with the Nav units.

Does anyone know if there is a plug-n-play defeat/bypass kit for this HU?

There are some "fuel efficiency" windows in the HU, would I loose any of these functions/displays with such a bypass?

Thanks,

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What speed sensor lock are you referring to? You don't have Nav, so what's it preventing you from doing?

3. alfa737

alfa737 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you said you have a prius II with no Nav installed so why would you need to bypass the speed lock?
    If you are going to install a Nav system in the car then you may need to bypass the speed sensor lock. and the method can be as simple as connecting the brake wire (might be called something else too) to a ground.

hope that helps.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On Kenwoods, you just take the brake wire from the head unit and ground it. With the Pioneer it's a little different, but still easy. If not here, they have a forum that explains it. Are we to understand you just want full function with an aftermarket unit while driving?

5. Hank101

Hank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rebound:
    Primarily, accessing the phone dial pad, and to a lesser degree, various other stereo/vehicle control functions while in motion.

Alfa737:
    See above. I have a Kenwood DNX9960, and am resisting an install due to the Superior bluetooth and auto interface functions with the stock unit. Additionally I prefer to keep the stock appearance. I did not purchase the nav option (Gen III, Prius III) due to preference for Garmin, and have added a 5" Garmin window unit (suction mount), hardwired under the mirror. I may choose later to do the full Kenwood install.

Frodoz737:
    Thanks for the wiring bypass tip, and I have used it several times before in Kenwood DNX installs. Actually my DNX9960 came out of my Jetta TDI, and is ready to go into the Prius, save for the Toyota stereo surround face plate part #55405-47080 (matching color and texture) and interface adapter wiring harness. But as mentioned above, I am trying to stay stock-ish. There are also issues with the DNX9960 in general (poor visibility, poor bluetooth, odd freeze-ups/reboots, need for a clean power supply/relay, low wattage internal amp, as well as a few more....).

But to specifically answer you question "Are we to understand you just want full function with an aftermarket unit while driving?" - yes, this is what I ask.

To further explain why:
    The one thing I really miss with the DNX9960 is the ability to select a destination on the DNX9960 Garmin, and have it Dali the number with the "call" button. My window mount Garmin will do this, paired bluetooth, but sound is terrible from the Garmin unit. I am working on a multipoint paring option for my Garmin, phone, stock HU pairing, for this same capability.

Until I have achieved the above, or exhausted all option towards that end, I would like to access the large button, easy to dial phone pad, clear sound bluetooth function of my stock HU, while in motion, to dial the destination phone number, displayed on my window mount Garmin.

Whew, and thanks for your input.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Respects and understand. My only issue with 9960 - GUI is not "instant". Software update fixed freeze/reboot and run away volume. Rest is perfect for me. Last I heard bypass to factory speed sensor lock was in progress, but I am not current. Hack Shack your Dealer uses may have solution. Good luck with your project. ;)