1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III Prius on the ground in Australia

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by patsparks, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well the video that FWD posted said 28kg.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so your talking 60 pounds of added unladen mass with no mass reduction to compensate.
    I have a feeling that along with the spare the jack and wheel brace go out the window too! That would be a considerable weight saving. I did ask what one should do if, like me a vehicle suffers a broken valve stem? 24 hour road side assistance I was told. I told them I was 2 hours out of Alice Springs but it didn't seem to register that mobile phones don't work out there.

3. nameless dude

nameless dude New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Fine, our base Prius may have more features than the US model base, but the problem is that our base costs as much as the Prius V with the AT package. And I'm sure that apart from the HUD, the Prius V with the AT package has a lot more than our base. And why can't they offer us a less expensive model with less features? Probably because they've been monitoring our automotive market and decided to put the prices up since we're in better shape than most other countries.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't ask this question although it is one I would have liked to put to the Toyota marketing people. I suspect the reason for a high spec Prius might be that Camry Hybrid would struggle to compete with a lower spec Prius. I'm not sure what the introductory price of a entry level Camry Hybrid will be. It may be higher or lower than a Prius, I almost expect higher.

Between you and I, I suspect car makers price vehicles with a price the market will bare. Toyota are pretty confident they will meet sales targets and judging by the number of Prius I see on the docks in Adelaide there will be a lot of Prius in South Australia.

My employer, a big buyer of Prius in South Australia are considering removing Prius from their list of approved vehicles which doesn't make sense. They currently buy i-Tech because the base model is not fitted with side and curtain air bags. Now they can spend less by buying base model prius and get 7 airbags and blue tooth included. Even if they want nav and reverse cam, the tech pack is $4000 on top of the $39900 for the base model giving a total of $43,900 for the equivalent of a current iTech but with fabric seat covers. A saving of about $3,000!

I expect they are being sucked in by the myth of low emissions diesel.

5. nameless dude

nameless dude New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Camry hybrid will be priced lower than the Prius here. Wierd.

-Subsequently, Buttner informed the Carsales Network that Toyota plans for its upcoming Camry Hybrid to be the volume-selling fuel-sipper in the range -- priced below the Prius. Asked whether the Camry Hybrid would also be priced below base-spec Aurion, he neatly side-stepped.
    "You've only gotta wait until February next year and we'll tell you the full price..."-

Techno-cred for new Prius ? Car Reviews, News & Advice - carsales.com.au

6. sleeka

sleeka Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have an invite next Thursday in Brisbane to attend Toyota's Fleet presentation of the new Prius, as well as revealing details of the Camry Hybrid and facelift Camry and Aurion.
    Hope to pass on any interesting details coming from there.

Also looking forward to my new Prius finally being delivered in 1 week!