1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III - Recommended Roof Rack?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by inverness, Feb 25, 2010.

1. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't recommend what I'm using, Thule system. Doesn't have a reflector. Whistles.

My system is 5 yrs old, from my G2 Prius. Re-using the same pads. G2 whistled also.

For bikes I recommend you get a hitch instead, and use a T-Bar or L-Bar, instead of using the roof. Drag must be horrible with bikes on the roof.

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With the non-permanent Thule system is it indeed possible to use it and install it without scratching the paint?

3. wmb

wmb Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Highly recommend Thule 480 Traverse with 1566 Fit Kit. Purchased this in January 2011 and they were great for transporting 2 kayaks. Unfortunately have to trade in my Prius, since I need a car to carry a trailer. Will very much miss the 50+ mpg. Live in the vicinity of Charlotte, NC. and will sell the 50" bars, feet and clips for 3rd generation Prius and 4 Thule locks for $150. Contact Wendy at 803-431-7623 if interested.

Attached Files:

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yakima. Available at Recreation Equipment Inc (REI) via the web or retail.

5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do u find the scratching, if any? Do you take it off regularly?

6. EvilJonny

EvilJonny New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just purchased the whispbar through bar style on Monday. I've been happy with it so far, no wind noise, well made, good fit etc. The installer seemed very impressed with the quality and features of the rack. I only use it to carry a stand up paddleboard, so I am not familiar with addtional options for the rack, but the installer informed me that they should be coming out with attachments soon due to yakima owning whispbar now. i have noticed a slight decrease in my mpg on my 75 mile commute (about 3 mpg less), but haven't driven with it long enough to get a good number.

7. wmb

wmb Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Once set up, very easy to take off and reinstall. Took racks off if I went to a car wash or if I knew I wasn't going kayaking for a month or two. Found a few microscopic nicks after removing, but wasn't a problem for me.

8. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We had to move our shells indoors because of Hurricane Irene, so here's a photo of a double on my car. Normally there would be a line from the front towing eyes up to the hull, but we didn't bother because we were going only a short distance at low speed.

The boat with riggers weighs just under 60lbs, but the riggers have been removed and are inside the car. The weight of the cover probably compensates for that (the cover looks pretty ratty, I need to get a new one!). The boat rack probably weighs 25 lbs.

The oars (roughly 9'6") fit inside the car.

http://priuschat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32016&stc=1&d=1314560245

Attached Files:

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Still following this thread. I was pretty close to spending $500 on a rack and shell but for a couple times/year with what we need it was a decadent expense. I ordered the roofbag and will have it this week, giving it a shot this coming weekend. Sherpak go! 15 on amazon is also rated very well, but was a little pricier, plus I just couldn't find as much about its manufacturer online.

10. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced