1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen1 battery diagnostics : Techstream, ScanGuage, Dr Prius ???

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Kbarb, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Kbarb

Kbarb New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm about to start working on my girlfriend's 2003 Gen1 Prius - apparently some kind of battery problem as she has the triangle alert, and previous battery issues as well.

I've been studying this judiciously getting a handle on things, making good progress, but . . .

. . . at this point I really need the go-to diagnostic software/scanner that will work on a Gen1, that will show which cells/blocks are bad.

I see mentioned TechStream, ScanGuage gizmos, Dr Prius (which has limited functionality on Gen1s ?), and various OBD2 scanners and software.

Could someone tell me what's the most forthcoming software for battery diagnostics ?
    I have Windows laptops and an Android phone.

I guess I could check manually with my VOM, but I'd think diagnostic software might be easier and more helpful.

( I do have plenty of experience rebuilding engines & transmissions, lots of electrical experience with cars, machinery, house wiring, solar, data networks and so on.
    Just that this is a slightly new learning challenge.)

Thanks !

Kent

San Francisco

2. Nelsonprius

Nelsonprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The go-to scanner is Techstream, clones on internet but most are 32bit for XP or Win 7, get one saying specifically for Win 10 if that's what you have. Dr Prius 2nd choice, but easier setup. What are battery problems? The Triangle or no start can also come from weak 12V battery.

3. Kbarb

Kbarb New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for setting me in the right direction NelsonPrius.

So I'm kind of walking into a situation with a lot of unknowns.
    The owner had someone replace some cells previously, but I'm not being relayed much additional reliable information.
    As of late they hadn't been driving it for quite some time because they couldn't start it with the 12v battery that was discharged.

I first checked that 12v battery and it was down to around 2-3v.
    I put it on a charger for a day and it came up to maybe 13.4v
    So now the car can start and drive, but still with the Triangle alert.

So now I'd like to diagnose the entire battery situation, to see what I'm dealing with.
    I suspect some bad cells/blocks, and perhaps even the 12v may not be being recharged properly.

I think I'll go with the Techstream and a Mini VCI cable.

4. Nelsonprius

Nelsonprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You can try going thru a couple cycles of discharging followed by charging by driving up a long hill/mtn and then down it in B gear and you just might balance charge the modules & lose the triangle if you can't delete the codes triggering it.

5. Marcelo J Aliberti

Marcelo J Aliberti New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dr Prius DOES NOT work with Gen 1 battery. You can see the cells voltage but you can't do the battery check !!!!

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base