1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen1 Brake Booster replacement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Tommybb, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Tommybb

Tommybb New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm looking at a used gen1 Prius on OfferUp for inexpensive.

It is said to need a Brake Booster Pump replaced. Toyota wants 2k for a new one plus labor.

I was thinking about just finding a used one and putting it in myself...

Anybody have knowledge of this procedure or how to properly diagnose that this is indeed the problem before purchase?

I think I got the skills to pull it and replace it. Guess without the tool I could take it to a tech to have them properly bleed it afterwards...

Thoughts, resources? Worth it? Can I drive it 5 miles to the diy shop without damaging it or anything else?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    A little drive the 5 mi to the shop probably won't hurt a thing to be real honest about it and then once you get this working there are myriads of other little things that will go on with this model. Remember this was the first roll out of this whole situation for Toyota and if you look and see what other people are doing you'll be getting prepared for very similar heater and air conditioning comes to mind the buttons that work all that come to mind finding pieces to be able to fix any of that is getting extremely difficult I would love to have one of these just for nostalgia purposes the little blast of the coops I think 2003 would be really cool to own I wouldn't even care if it ran well just to have it here in the driveway let the cat sleep in it whatever they look really cool. But the Gen 2 is what really took the car model over the top if you will The Gen 1 was an exercise the Gen 2 put that exercise to full bloom and the rest is history about like the Corolla one of the greatest all-around automobiles ever made. Don't care if you like them or not doesn't matter.

Tommybb likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your title says "brake booster" and your text says "brake booster pump." The difference matters because those are two different parts.

These parts move around a lot between different Prius generations. In your Gen 1, the "booster" is part of the master cylinder (on the firewall right where the brake pedal is), and the "booster pump" is on the firewall over toward the far side of the car. There's an "actuator" on the firewall also, more toward the middle.

(For comparison, Gen 2 has a plain master cylinder—no booster—but still has a part called the booster pump, and that pump is combined with the actuator. In Gen 3, the actuator and master cylinder are combined, the booster is back, and the booster pump is a separate part again. It's like musical chairs.)

If what you need to change is the booster pump, the annoyance in Gen 1 is that some A/C lines are in the way, and the official Toyota procedure makes you reclaim the refrigerant first, get the lines out of the way, then evacuate and recharge after the job. If you're a shop with that A/C servicing equipment handy that's one thing, but it's a PITA for DIY.

There was a member rlin78 who worked out that you can do it with the A/C lines in place, but be prepared to spend more hours doing it. Another member, Sharnold, seemed to find another way a bit faster.

Tommybb likes this.
  4. Sohaib Alarabi

Sohaib Alarabi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dude ive been driving for 2 weeks what accumulates to like one hour of driving per day .... With my booster pump not working

Abs light is on.... Constant beep all the time ..Soo annoying btw ...
    Brake pedal became way too hard but still pressable and it responds when i press it hard...and it stops my car...
    I actually got my wheels to lock and skid on the street like old cars!
    So the brake system got less efficient and it became a noizy beeping slow....locking brake system ... But its still drivable

Am gonna disassemble that bad boy soon but am busy in between things and other than the noise its not stopping me from my usual car use to the work and back and some light shoping