1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen1 - Oil in intake manifold

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by sandy11246, Feb 20, 2018.

1. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    For those experiencing ICE oil in the intake manifold, I suggest going to the Gen3 forum and review this thread. It just might just solve your problems:
    Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock!
    Hope this helps!
    Peace

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    All Prius have an Atkinson cycle engine. Among the features is the fact that as much as 30% of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder is forced back into the intake manifold. Oily fluid in the low spots in the intake manifold is both expected and normal. (both gasoline and oil from the cylinder walls)

Atkinson cycle - Wikipedia

(A hypothetical Direct Injected Atkinson cycle engine, would not 'suffer' from this as much, greatly easing OCD owner cleanliness)

Gen2_Accel and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd concur, at least there appears to be some oil trickling back into the intake manifold from the intake ports. This is what I noticed when I pulled the intake manifold about a month after an initial cleaning and Oil Catch Can install. There was a tear of oil at 6 oclock of each intake port, and the manifold was starting to look a little oily again.

Still, I think the OCC is worthwhile, it is catching a lot, and it looks like a real witches brew.

SFO and scona like this.
  4. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks guys. I had asked in an earlier post on the Gen1 forum if any one had an answer for the pooling but to no avail. I had lowered the oil service level as some had suggested and am still working through that experiment. I have dealt with codes P1128 & 3190 and cleaning the manifold cleared the issue. Am waiting to see if the last adjustment solved the problem. I'm learning as I go with this vehicle so any input you may offer would be greatly appreciated. Plans are to install a OCC, just trying to work out the placement. Found a small one that should work as there is little space in the ICE compartment on the vehicle. I monitor the vehicle all the time so draining it often will not be an issue. Vehicle has 222619 on the clock, so some oil is probably due to cylinder blow-by. Hoping the OCC will eliminate any of that. Many thanks again for the heads up on the ICE design.