1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen1 Prius Lost all Keys - dealer quoted over $1500. Don't let this happen to you!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by 3prongpaul, Jun 21, 2015.

1. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a Gen1 customer this week that lost their only key. Their dealer quoted them over $1500 to make the car drive again. Luckily I had a spare Gen1 immobilzer ECU with matched chip key and was able to fix their car for a fraction of the cost, even with the $150 tow to my shop.

If you have a Gen1 with only 1 key, MAKE A DUPLICATE ASAP!

If you lose your last key YOU ARE HOSED. Gen1's are a major PITA to make drive again (immobilzer ECU which is buried under dash has to be removed and reflashed or replaced with a good one with matching key)

If you have a master key (black head) you can buy the chip key blank (Toyota type 4C) on ebay for under $10 and program yourself without any tools via the chicken dance (just "cut" the key at a hardware store first).

If you have only one valet key (gray head) your best option is to have an auto locksmith or decent hardware store sell you a CLONE key ($40-$70)

Gen2 and Gen3 can be reset via software, much easier if you lose your last key but still expensive.

bwilson4web and bisco like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually make two and the keyfob too. My understanding is up to three can be 'remembered' by the car and that is cheap insurance.

Bob Wilson

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a big argument in another thread, about what happens in gen II and III when you lose both keys. sou say it's less expensive. do you have to replace the ecu?

4. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen2 and newer can be "reset" via Techstream with a seed code if you lose all keys.
    No need to replace any hardware in the car....I've done it many times.

Gen1 requires immobilzer ECU to be physically removed and replaced with new, reflashed, or USED unit with with mated key. I often have used Gen1 immobilzers with mated keys, contact me via private conversation if you need to buy a set.

Riaz, JENROMMEL and bisco like this.
  5. JENROMMEL

JENROMMEL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a Gen3, lost all my key fobs, took it to a dealer after no luck with two locksmiths, to program fobs. Towed the car into the dealership (waited 5hrs) they told me I needed a new ECU and my car was not responding to their programs. They said my car has gone into safety mode where no one can get through to the system, not even them being "Toyota". "This happens to prevent people from stealing the car." I said, "But I am at a Toyota Dealer, doesn't Toyota have a special code to by pass this safety feature?" They said, "NO, not even Toyota can help." So they want to charge me around $1800 for a new ECU, to be able to program the key fob. Is this ridiculous way of trying to get money from me or a real thing that happens to Prius owners? HELP!!!

6. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jenrommel, Print this out and take it to the most senior tech at the dealer. You do not need a new ECU. You may need a more experienced technician. Normally the tech can do a smart key reset by using a Passcode derived from a Seedcode in Techstream. Did they try that ? (dealer will require locksmith credentials). If they tried a valid passcode and car is still "bricked" the procedure is a little more tricky but a savvy tech should be able to do it with access to another similar gen3 car. If the dealer says you need to buy a new ECU ask them to call their dealer tech support hotline and speak to someone smarter than them, or find a better dealer. Too bad the car is not in Colorado, you could tow it to my shop.

Here's what I recently did in a similar situation with a "bricked" Gen3. (power button was pressed more than 10 times after seed reset before a key was registered to car).

While researching smart key stuff I found the smart key course T9738 on TIS under Technical Training / Course Books. (BTW lots of good info on Toyota Smartkey systems there) Anyway, in Chapter 6 Parts Replacement there was a clue at the bottom of page 70 (page 4 in chapter 6 PDF) regarding “bricked” ECUs"

"Caution; After replacing the Certification ECU, do not apply power to the system (Ignition ON) more than 10 times before completing the New Key ID Registration procedure. Otherwise, the Certification ECU locks up and stops communicating. Service Tip; It is possible to salvage the Certification ECU if it stops communicating. Connect the Techstream to a like vehicle, access the key registration utility then move the Techstream to the faulty vehicle and attempt to complete the registration. This process is not guaranteed to work. “

I’m not sure if I could recreate my success, or if this is the best procedure but here's what I did to get the car to start up;

I borrowed a same year/model Prius, did a smart key RESET (using passcode) on the healthy Prius. Before add/register Fobs to healthy Prius I moved Techstream to sick Prius and chose SmartKey Registration. I then chose the 2nd option from the bottom “I am registering keys and have replaced the Smart ECU" (even though I didn't replace hardware) and was able to communicate to car and register Fobs.

I then took Techstream back to healthy Prius and Registered it’s fobs. (since I had reset healthy Prius all fobs would have to be re-registered to bring that car back to normal).

Both cars are functioning properly now.

JENROMMEL, ftl and usnavystgc like this.
  7. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That sounds very good. But it looks like you are walking on the edge of a cliff concerning the donor car.

Thanks for your expertise.

P.S. I bought an 02 Gen II with only 1 key. Once I found out how bad it would be to "unbrick" the car I now have 2 new keys to use as well.

8. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you register new FOB to a Gen3 after the passcode seed reset but before pressing power button 10 times it is no problem.

If you press the power button 10 times before registration of Fob that is what complicates things. AFAIK the "10 press limit" only affects Gen3 and newer smart key systems. I don't think you can brick a Gen2 in this fashion.

#8 3prongpaul, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Paul,
    We have a 2010 Prius and when I tried to get a replacement keyfob was quoted an 'impossible' price. Are there any reasonably priced ways to get a second keyfob made?

The car is fine and I have the remaining fob. Just I would like to have a spare for the spare that has 'disappeared.'

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

10. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

For Gen3 you can buy new fobs on Ebay or "virginized" or "reset" used fobs. They can then be programmed yourself with Mini-VCI or Techstream. If fob is new or virginized you do not need seedcode/passcode to add to your car. If you only have one fob left, get a 2nd ASAP so you aren't put in the position of JenRommel.

Door key is a little trickier, you need to find someone who cut do a side cut aka "laser cut" key.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for your expertise Paul. :)

12. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I believe PriusChat member ovni can cut keys. Here's one of his posts: Smart key Info | PriusChat

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just bought one off Ebay. Will give it a try.

Bob Wilson

14. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Please keep us posted Dr Wilson :D

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It worked following these instructions: New Smart Key Programmed on a 2013 Plugin Prius for $115.00 | PriusChat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wrapped the new keyfob with aluminum foil and later, the primary keyfob. This avoided 'moving the key 30 cm away from car.'

I didn't take a screen shot of the actual instructions with the 30 second window. I'll try again later.
    [​IMG]

One modification, I wrapped the new fob in aluminum foil instead of putting it '30 cm' away from car. Then wrapped the original key in the foil, again to avoid the '30 cm' away instruction. Very simple and easy.

Bob Wilson

#15 bwilson4web, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015