1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen1 to 2

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Sharnold, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I currently have a collection of gen 2-3-4 camry and prius batteries so parts are not of the essence I rebuild them and also whole cars.
    Is it possible to put another whole battery into a gen 1 without rebuilding that 38 cell monstrosity
    Again hypothetical bc I have a few gen 1s to play with

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#1 Sharnold, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Funny thing I've always wanted a gen one but I've never ever seen the 38 plate monstrosity so it takes about 10 more than we have in the two and the three I guess or something along those lines so I guess that would be kind of big and that runs on the same $211 volt business right? If so I would think that would be an invitation to fit another 211 volt battery that might be smaller but aren't they both nickel metal hydride so what are you getting for the extra 10 cells in the Gen 1 battery? More AH?

Sharnold likes this.
  3. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See that's what I'm trying to figure out
    I love the way the gen ones look and tbh they drive half way decent.
    I've rebuilt a few of the traction batteries but I'm trying to figure out if bypassing them is possible with a newer version
    Btw the camry battery is a monstrosity also at 34 cells

bisco likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just need to look into this a little bit to see why that vehicle has so many more plates than the two are the three is that a bad or a good thing I would think it would be good to have the more plates. But what do I know I don't even know if that system is the 211 or 212 volt setup it may be different like the Hondas and all just a different voltage platform I have no idea honestly someone ought to be along here any second with all that information I just haven't even looked it up but I like the way the body style looks The only thing I don't like is it has a belt drive air conditioner not electric which doesn't help for more battery plates and that's about it as far as I can think you know the shifter's in a kind of funny place that could have made it a little smaller but that's just nitpicking and finding one in good shape without all the plastic damaged on the inside and all that once they get ragged out there not too cool. Gen 2's on the other hand if you look around and upscale retirement communities they are plentiful sitting in garages waiting for people to come pluck them up because they don't get driven much anymore That's a reality

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, there are 38 × 7.2 V (nominal) NiMH modules which would make a nominal 274 VDC pack.
    If you mean can you put a 28-module Gen 2 pack into a Gen 1, then no. Gen 1 needs that 38-module pack. You would need to rebuild it, but you can use modules from Gen 2, Gen 3, or Gen 4 (as long as the Gen 4 modules are NiMH) to rebuild a Gen 1 pack. The newer the modules the better.

#5 dolj, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well at least my high voltage charger has that range built into it so at least I could charge the sucker but that's interesting that it's a based on a whole different voltage.

7. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 1 Prius runs at a higher voltage (273.6V) then latter generations, so needs all 38 cells. As I understand it, after Gen 1, a voltage booster circuit was added to the inverter so cars can have the smaller lower voltage packs.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess the Gen 2 was a refinement of the original.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's interesting but if that was the case wouldn't it still be rated at that same 273 volts I don't care how it's made if there's a voltage booster for $211 volt battery pack and it was going to be the same voltage with the booster then I would think it would be that 270 whatever. But I'm not electrically active like that and you start stacking this stuff up I will get lost in the math and not interested in really learning but it is interesting to note that's why this guy that I bought this charger from has these three positions for the different voltages one for Honda insight and the low voltage the Toyota voltage which is the 211 business I think the charger actually is putting more out close to 300 for this range and then there's a higher range I think it's 400 or something right around there DC of course

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it is simple maths.
    • 28 × 7.2 V vs 38 × 7.2 V.
    • 201.6 V ....vs 273.6 V.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gen 1 used the 273.6 V battery, and that was the supply voltage throughout the system. The MGs were big and heavy, having to run on only 273.6 V.

Gen 2 reduced the battery voltage to 201.6 V, but added a boost converter inside the inverter, capable of raising that to 500 V. The MGs are smaller and lighter, because they are built for 500 V (and lower current) instead of 273.6 V.

Gen 3 kept the same 201.6 V battery, but upped the boost converter output and motors to 650 V.

Jakob and ammdb like this.
  12. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anybody have an idea why they didn't boost the voltage in the original design? Any drawbacks to a high-voltage low-current setup? Electrocution safety comes to mind, but even 200V is easily lethal.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They wanted to have a car to demonstrate by 1997. They continued working on refinements to the electronics and motors to introduce later with Gen 2 in 2004.

As can be read in The Prius that Shook the World, their development and testing days for Gen 0/1 were adequately consumed by trying to have inverters not blow up on the test track, without trying to perfect additional components like a boost converter at the same time.

Jakob and Sharnold like this.
  14. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to mention the catalytic converter system with the hcac was a nightmare in itself.
    The cells in the Gen1 was prone to swelling also.

15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I believe this is why the lucid runs on a thousand volt system. ? Yep I gotta a buddy involved in that co. This car I'm speaking of is not the latest Lucid in the coverage last few weeks . I know nothing about the latest model/s..