1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen1 with constant P3001 code but no other issues

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Snoopy, Jan 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Snoopy

Snoopy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Looking for help with an odd problem - I think. Have searched, but can't find a thread on this
    I have a 2001 with 140K miles or so, purchased a few months ago because the only problem seemed to be the motive battery and I had an extra battery with only a couple of bad cells. Time got away on me so I purchased/installed a Falcon Hybrid rebuilt with Gen2 cells. Everything worked well for a while, but the car now throws a P3001 (battery ECU) code periodically. No other codes and everything seems to operate normally. 12v battery (apparently fairly new) shows 12.5v after the car is parked for a day. After clearing the code, it sometimes comes back immediately, sometimes after several miles of driving. No recognizable correlation to temperature or driving conditions. Have heard of temperature sensors causing the problem, but not sure where to go with troubleshooting and, there are no other codes. Any ideas? I can swap in the ECU from the other battery I have here, but was hoping for some way to isolate the issue first. BTW, using Torque Lite (Android) to read/clear codes.

2. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're saying that you're not getting any sub-codes, only the P3001 error? How are you recovering the codes?

Snoopy and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

As @LEVE asks, what device are you using to pull the codes?

Keep us posted (y).

#3 Raytheeagle, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Snoopy likes this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

His code is P3001 not P0301.

Snoopy and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well that’s a bit embarrassing :oops:.

Here is a thread that talks about P3009 but gets at P3001:

2001 prius code p3001

The poster gets lucky with a loose connection and grounding out, but worth checking ;).

Keep us posted (y).

Snoopy likes this.
  6. Snoopy

Snoopy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks very much for helping me out. Sorry for the slow response. Terrible internet service today and couldn’t even log in most of the time.
    For pulling codes, I use a generic OBD2 to Blue-tooth adaptor and have the Torque Lite app on my Blu phone (Android). When I request the codes, all I get is the P3001. I used the same setup on the same vehicle before changing the traction battery – when there were a few more codes to see.
    I'm not at home right now but will check all the connections again when I return.
    BTW, Falcon Hybrid said the rebuilt battery would come without a battery ECU and I would have to transfer mine, but when the battery came with one installed, I didn't swap them, thinking the one from Falcon was just as likely to be good as the one from the failed battery that came with the car.
    Thanks again for your help.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Torque lite is so basic, it's almost just a demonstration app. Even Torque Pro isn't the right OBD reader tho. You need to use Techstream, google the term. You can get the cable and software for not too much money and install it on your laptop (PC) or get an old XP machine and use that. Have you tried to talk to Falcon? They look like a pretty decent outfit to me.

Welcome, BTW

Snoopy likes this.
  8. Snoopy

Snoopy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the advice, Brian. Noticed some chat about OBD2 readers, but most I saw referred to the hand-held devices. Looks like the Techstream software is freely available so long as one has the specialized cable. Too bad (for me) the software uses USB rather than blue-tooth. What version of the software are you using, or are the updates generally stable? I'll order a cable and check again. I have 3 old Priuses (Prii?) so will make good use of the tools.

9. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Mini-VCI that I purchased a few years ago came with the following:

A Bluetooth OBDII Reader
    A Minii-VCI J2534 Standard OBDII Communications Interface Cable
    Software Marked CVD0050

Upgrade the software? Never an issue for me.

Snoopy and Brian in Tucson like this.
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or Win 7 (32-bit). I believe, you can install in Win 10 in a virtual machine that is Win 7 compatible too, but I have no personal experience. It will also work on a MacBook in VMware on Win XP or Win 7 (32-bit), for sure. It works in BootCamp and should work in Parallels too.
    There are WiFi versions available (at more cost) from VxDiag, if you want to go wireless.

Snoopy likes this.
  11. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Better answers than I could have given. I don't know what version I'm running. The software itself is a pirated copy (by the Chinese) and is included with the Mini VCI cable. Mine looked like it would be easiest to install on an old Windows XP laptop, And I bought a nice, clean Dell from a guy on Tucson Craigslist for $35. I removed and tossed the wifi card, as the machine works well but isn't supported by Micra sooft any more. The 02, mine, is old enough that the software can stay static and never needs an update.

I used mine this week to see what my battery modules were doing. It's a great program!

BTW, if you can get down to Raymond, Leve might help you troubleshoot the battery problems. Not that far from the Portland area and a nice drive.

Snoopy likes this.
  12. Snoopy

Snoopy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Cable and software are supposed to arrive tomorrow. Should be able to scare up an old laptop to run the software.
    Thanks again for all the guidance. And thanks for the suggestion to drive to Raymond. I think I'll try on my own a bit, first, but good to know there is someone who can help if needed.

WHCSC and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be glad to help any way I could..

Snoopy likes this.
  14. Snoopy

Snoopy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Family interruption limited time this weekend and struggles with the Mini-VCI drivers kept me from getting any more information when the car was available. Will try again next weekend.

15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Family is always more important. They cannot be replaced.

Raytheeagle and Snoopy like this.
  16. Snoopy

Snoopy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Update: Ended up with an unexpected 'short term' contract out of state (and country, actually). My daughter is the usual driver of this car and tolerated the error on the screen, paying attention to anything else the car did (or didn't do). Some time later (weeks, not hours or days), she started the car as usual, but got the normal display - and has not seen a code since. I am back home today and, yes, everything seems to be normal. Priui are amazing, but I didn't expect them to be self-healing :) Guessing whatever was unsettled is finally where it belongs. If something comes back, at least I have the tools now. Thanks again to all for your help.

Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.