1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 ABS, VSC, (!) lights…

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NicoPriusZA, May 17, 2023.

1. NicoPriusZA

NicoPriusZA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi everyone, I hope you’re all doing well!
    Been doing some research since I’m not willing to bite the bullet just yet, and I’m still a bit stumped.

I have a 2007 Gen2 with approximately 136 000km on it (May 2023). In February, I had the right front wheel bearing changed after hearing the typical growl but silence when turning right, and the car has been good since then.

After driving home in heavy rain one afternoon, the VSC, ABS and ((!)) lights were thrown my way on the dash. Coupled with a growl from the left front wheel I had been hearing for a while, I assumed it was the left front bearing going out so I had it replaced thinking it would clear the lights. Despite this, the lights return randomly and I have noticed that when I brake, the MFD showed the wheels still moving and my speedometer said 1kph despite being at a complete standstill.
    Overnight when left off, the car would reset I presume and the lights won’t come on when starting in “ready” mode. They would return mid-drive, whether I’m speeding, coasting or braking and just stick around until I switch the car off. Braking hasn’t been impaired (until recently), and while I hoped the wheel bearing replacement would take it away, it hasn’t.

I understand people would suggest it to be the ABS accumulator, but I am not hearing any characteristically prolonged buzzing noises or increased frequency of such when driving or braking, but rather the normal amount since I’ve had the car. A DrPrius reading returns no codes so I don’t believe it to be failing just yet.

My front brakes still seem to be fat and in good condition (apart from a light jingly sound and occasional screech while coasting I hear coming over a hill sometimes). I have tried the paper clip method but alas no success. We recently took the front left wheel off to check out the brakes and clean the speed sensor, put it back and the lights still came on mid-drive. It isn’t even during all trips, it comes randomly and has only twice ever disappeared mid-drive.

Today, while braking at about 30kph and lower, the traction control light flashed, my braking felt like it was slipping ever so slightly and I heard a noise from what sounded like the right front wheel before turning and then seeing the deadly trio on my dash again.
    I’m looking to take out and clean right speed sensor again this weekend, but if that does not fix this as well as my brakes setup being in good condition, are there any ideas as to what I can do to remedy my baby?

My brake fluid is still perfectly topped up.
    I understand severe tyre wear could cause this but my tyres are also in good condition, replaced towards the end of 2021. My cruise control works, no problem even with the lights on. Fuel consumption thankfully hasn’t taken a hit yet, fuses all still intact, checked the 12v still got plenty of power and properly connected with no moisture seeping in. Any ideas what it could be before I force my way over for a Techstream diagnosis (or ABS rest?) at Toyota? Would rather that than shell out for a new ABS, or even brakes, but if anyone has had an issue like this and can point me in the right direction that’d be much appreciated

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dr prius is mostly useless as a scanner, you should try another app, then post the OBD2 codes in this thread for further advice.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The thread SFO links to is great for finding a scan tool that can read all your codes.

But sometimes, the priority is just getting the codes read, even if you haven't got a scan tool to do it yet. For that, there's this:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat