1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 Center console arm rests covering?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SteveWlf, Jun 21, 2014.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2004 and 2007 Gen 2 and both have problems with the fabric covering on the pulling loss from under the edge. Originally there was just a small margin of fabric that tucked around and under the the padded top cover and was/is held by the plastic inter plate that is suppose to grip it and hold it tight over the outer edge and top. Nah! In both cars, it seems to have shrunk enough that it eventually pulls out of this friction grip of this lower plate. On the 2007, I re-did this by removing the inside screws and pushing the fabric back under this plate, but it is now coming loss again. I just got the 2004 and it was already loose on the front edge and there just isn't enough fabric margin to secure it again. Really seems to have shrunk over time and I conclude that is a problem common to both.

I wonder if there is a fix for this by just finding a fabric that will closely match the upholstery. I even considered some head liner fabric from one of my parts cars but found it was just a spray-on stuff on a molded liner panel. If I had a damaged seat I guess that would work but all of them are still use-able.

What have others done about this problem? I'm sure I'm not alone.

Steve

2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recover them with a vinyl that matches and add some light padding. I use a spray adhesive to hold it in place. IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG

JC91006 likes this.
  3. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your suggestion and may go that route.
    I just pulled a good one from a 2006 parts prius. It was still "tucked-in" on the front but loose on one edge. Since the latch was broken and the fabric has mildew spotting all over the top, I figure I have nothing to loss and took it apart. The OEM contact glue job just doesn't seem to hold, over time. I came off along the remaining right/left edge and over the hinge. However, I notice that this 2006 was heat welded under the latch assemble and therefore took some doing to get it the latch off and fabric removed. The reason I mention this is that I don't think my 2004 was held by anything more that the contact glue under the front lip. The fabric is not even long enough to go under the latch assemble.
    This heat weld, kinda looked like the blunt tip of a soldering iron/tool had been used to press that end into the plastic. Good enough hold that I think it could have been done that way along the remainder. If I use anything vinyl, I might try that along the edge as well.

I also made a template of this piece of fabric before I got it wet, cleaning the mildew. and will use it to cut out new material when or if I need to replace the "shrinking" fabric. I say "shrinking" because both cars with the loose fabric edges came from cars that had had there upholstery shampooed. Possibly with a steam cleaner. Opps! Be warned!

Steve

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My upholstery guy gets it from a wholesale supply house.

This is the beige that he uses
    Sierra Soft Light Neutral

This is the gray
    G Grain Dark Graphite

I have not ordered from this place and this is not an endorsement. If you are just looking to do one console I would just go to a local fabric store like Joann's Fabric or something similar with your old console and pick something that you like that matches.

My upholstery guy uses a bulk adhesive in an air sprayer but I have used tacky spray

and it works well. They sell similar products at Michael's and Walmart.

Scallywag likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Those pictures you provided of the finished product are amazing. I just have 1 console that I need to replace. I'll go search at Michael's and see if there's some good automotive grade vinyl. Thanks

7. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Michael"s will have the spray adhesive but I think you will need a fabric store to get the vinyl or you could order it from DLT.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The adhesive is nothing special, you just need to use a quality (Bostick, Ados, 3M, Selleys, etc) contact adhesive. Apply an even coat to both surfaces (clean dry and free from any loose debris), wait for the instructed time for it to 'go off' and then press together and clamp for the instructed time while the bond sets. You need to be accurate when you put the two pieces together, as you get only on shot with contact adhesive--so be sure what and how you are going to glue before you apply the adhesive. Do a practise dry run first.

Depending on how much you need to glue back, you may need to (and would be better to) do a small bit, say one edge, at a time.

hope this helps.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just redid mine today, super easy with the right glue and fabric. Thanks

usnavystgc likes this.
  10. davidls

davidls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

11. davidls

davidls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Steve,
    I have fixed mine by putting some upholstery glue along the inside edge of the fabric, and forcing it back into the slot with a flat piece of metal, such as a hacksaw blade. This stretched/ tensioned the cloth, and so far it has held very well.

12. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not going to work on my 2004 problem area at the front edge, because there just isn't enough fabric to go in far enough.
    On the 2006 that I took the covering off, the front edge margin goes all the way in-under the latch assembly plate and was heat welded into the cover plastic. Good job but the latch assembly was already broken, so I have only salvaged that piece of fabric. I had to rip it loose in the heat weld area but it will still be usable since it will be under the latch assemble.

Steve

13. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. chucknova

chucknova New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This looks like a great option. I'm going to order it today!

Prius Console Cover and Prius Armrest Cover; Priusaccessory.com

15. Megan8168

Megan8168 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you remove the cover in order to work on it?

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    remove the rear cupholders, you'll see 4 bolts holding the armrest together. Just unbolt them and it'll come right up.

17. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not necessary to remove rear cup holders. Just open the lid and remove 4 screws on the back hinge and pull back on lid. It will separate.