1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 Humming behind glove box, not AC nor wheel bearings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JustGotNewBrakes, Jul 31, 2016.

1. JustGotNewBrakes

JustGotNewBrakes New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    it started yesterday. As far as I can tell it is behind the glove box.

The sound does not get louder with RPM and persists while stopped and with the AC off.

After the car has been left off awhile the sound goes away and then it returns after 10 mins of highway driving or after five minutes of driving and then parked while on for ten minutes. Once the sound starts it will stay until I turn the car off. Any ideas?

Transaxle and MG1 or 2 comes up in my searches.

2009 Prius
    98000 miles

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well first step in my mind take out the A/C filter behind the glove box and check for rodent nest, that's what I had in my VW. Check also engine air filter.

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The transaxle is on the other side of the engine room. The brake actuator comes to my mind. There is a new warranty extension on those, if it's a problem.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The AC blower motor is right behind the glove box. Once you remove the Cabin Air Filter, as recommended above, any AC blower motor noise will be very obvious.

You can also verify or eliminate this as the source by turning the blower motor off and see if the noise goes away.

Lucifer likes this.
  5. JustGotNewBrakes

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The off button under climate turns off the blower motor right? I did that and no change. If there is something fancy trick with the fuse box I'm happy to try that!

6. JustGotNewBrakes

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's a little difficult to get back there. I may just be a scaredy cat though. Both the engine air filter and cabin air filter are new.

The sound has changed to more of a hum slash buzzing sound. Pressing the brakes changes the sound. This iall just happened an hour ago right as I was pulling into a parking spot in the parking garage.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A/C air filter not too hard right?
    you just open the glove box and take off the hanger/lever on the side and it drops down exposing the air fllter.

8. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Have you ever changed/flushed the brake fluid? Again, the ABS actuator is right in that area in the engine room. If that's it, hopefully you're covered by the new warranty extension.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On my 2010 there is a separate button that turns the fan off and on and controls manual speed. I am not sure about 2009.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    09 is on the mfd, with audio controls and gps if equipped.

if it changes when you step on the brake, andrewclaus is probably right. have you looked under the hood while someone steps on the brakes?