1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 OBD2 app review

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mr_guy_mann, Apr 25, 2022.

1. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What are you looking to be able to do?

If you just want Dr Prius, get a cheap adapter like the BAFX. That can also do some ecu's with the OBD Fusion app.

I have the OBDLink MX+ adapter and it does work with Dr Prius, but it's pricey for the average DIY if you don't need all the "bundled" coverage. (plus I prefer the additional functions of the other app/devices).

That said, I expect the OBDLink (LX) adapter to work with Dr Prius as well. (says it does on the OBDLink site).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. JohnStef

JohnStef Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mr_guy_mann thank you for opening up this topic. I did my homework a couple years ago and got the ThinkDiag+. It seemed to have really advanced capabilities, and it really does. It has paid for itself many times over.

However, it lacks documentation
    . I contacted their "tech support" and it was very shallow. For my particular support request they basically told me to go thru the menus and follow the prompts. They couldn't answer the question. I wanted an expanded explanation and instruction for pairing smart keys and "all keys lost" on the Gen 2 and Gen 3.

Having said that, it's capabilities are so great that I will continue to learn the menus.

SFO likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeh, the ThinkDiag+ in particular has some fairly poor documentation and language. I used it to program a new sks fob on a Gen2 but the instruction prompts lacked detail as to what key was used for which step in the process. Seemed like poor translation.

Autel was better, but Techstream is the king.

In general, I don't think about documentation as much as the average user since I've been using scantools for decades.

JohnStef likes this.
  4. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do any of the above work well for the Gen 3? Thanks

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One day, I suppose, somebody really ought to make a version of this thread in the Gen 3 forum, and put in the time to test some of these things on Gen 3, as mr_guy_mann has been doing for Gen 2.

ThePrius11 and Taxi/Limo like this.
  6. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Will the Dr prius app work if you can't get the car started? I am getting the Check Hybrid System message
    What does it cost to use Dr prius and which dongle is best?
    Thanks

7. JohnStef

JohnStef Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Taxi/Limo if you are comfortable with scanners the ThinkDiag+ would be a good tool. The menus are pretty good most of the time to work with, but as mentioned above they can be confusing for a novice. I'm a novice and willing to hang with this and learn it. You will pay aprx $110 for the dongle and $39.95 per year for Toyota cars, it is all inclusive of any Toyota so it will have your Gen 3 covered.

I was hoping that getting mine from mythinkcar.com would get tech support because it seemed like they were THE Company. Fat chance. I made a couple of calls to get support from them and they basically sent me to somewhat rude or ignorant offshore support, all via email. After giving up on the email support I put my time into going thru the menus and figured out what I needed. I'm still glad I have this tool, it is a powerful scanner.

ThePrius11 and Taxi/Limo like this.
  8. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IF someone were to buy me a beater Gen3(could have a blown engine), then that could happen...

PatrickBrian likes this.
  9. PatrickBrian

PatrickBrian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Don't suppose you have a tips and tricks post hiding somewhere?

10. Matt98svt

Matt98svt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I have been reading the reviews of these scanners and while I have a 2013 V, not a 2nd gen, im hoping one of these will help me changing out the brake booster and actuator that are failing on my car. One of the youtube vids I was watching the guy was using a snap on scanner to lower the accumulator pressure before working on the brake system, and then bleed the system with the scanner and finally did a linear valve offset relearn. The thinkdiag seems to be the most capable of the ones you reviewed, I was hoping it could accomplish all of these task. Would anyone know? thanks in advance

11. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't KNOW about a Gen3, but of all the scanners I looked at for the Gen2, only ThinkDiag has the menu option for linear valve offset relearn (also has the "zero down" function).

NOLA_Akita and Matt98svt like this.
  12. FarmFinds

FarmFinds New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I almost missed this! :eek: You might consider updating the original post in this discussion thread.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is possible but it would require the help of a moderator.

14. JohnStef

JohnStef Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't offer anything specific, it just takes time using this to avoid some of the dead ends in the menu. I do not work on the Prius with a scanner even once a month, it is occasional. In this gap of time I have to relearn some of the details and become familiar all over again.

PatrickBrian likes this.
  15. PatrickBrian

PatrickBrian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I understand that statement all to well. Thanks for getting back to me.

16. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    sharing what I've got so far and what it's been / being used for, I have scangauge2 that I used with the 2014 PiP and borked it after trying to add it back again to the 06 civic hybrid. I had linear logic reset it once before and asked for any civic hybrid Pids to be added. blah blah, I'm not the sharpest tool in shed dealing with Pids testing or I'd currenty still be using torque along with the other apps I have installed which are DrPrius Hybrid Assistant Tire Assistant and CarScanner P. My odb2 adapter is a cheapo no name ELM327 that doesn't give accurate info on some sensors, but still works OK on most of them that the apps can access I tested it a year of two ago using an app that tests the bt adapter for version and capability and irrc mine was listed as version 1.5 with a fairly healthy set of capabilities. I did a quick search but couldn't find a name of even one of those bt version testers.
    Like has been mentioned already several times, even though I don't have techstream lite setup yet, I'm a firm believer in the statement "techstream is king" to many reasons why to list in this post.
    I use DrPrius for everything I want / need to know and monitor of the traction pack, you know, what it was made for.
    I use Hygrid Assistant for what used to be it's sister app Hybrid Reporter, which is now integrated in the HA app. and saving the reporter data and going through each sensor to pick out the ones with relevant data and which ones are too far off the scales to be relevant.
    I use CarScanner so I can track the warmup cycle which I haven't been able to find in the other apps. ie: I use full grill block below freezing ambient. Plus there are a host of other sensors I can eval and compare with readings I get from the other apps.

One question I have about the Autel AP-200 is there a way to disconnect and free the phones bt adapter like CarScanner has on it's startup screen? Or will the app disconnect from the bt adapter by just closing the app? Lastly will DrPrius and Hybrid Assistant connect to the AP-200?
    I've found that if I just close the Car Scanner app like I'd normally do when using DrPrius or Hybrid Assistant - CarScanner will hold onto the bt connection not allowing other apps to connect to the adapter until I reopen CarScanner and tap the Disconnect button. After that the other apps connect as normal.

SFO likes this.
  17. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I also got the ThinkCar ThinkDiag+ and was able to read and clear history code. I had one that was probably 2 years old when the gas cap was not screwed on after a fillup. I was also able to use bidirctional control, I raised and lowered windows and it was full manual control ie: no auto shutoff and top and bottom window heights. heads up if you're expecting bidirectional to work anything like normal operational behavior.
    When I went to reprogram TPMS ids the app flaked on me. So I went to ThinkCar support pages and looked at probably 500 of the 99k pages listed under Prius than started from the end and probably 500 more pages from 99,000 to 98,500 and every page has only one? or two? Lexus models. So I called support and asked if they could help me narrow my search parameters after explaining my search. I was on hold for a few minutes and than was told no support for Prime. I was still under 30 days and was able to get a refund from the vendor I purchased from.

18. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    AFAIK, the Autel device only works with the Autel app. Read post 37.

vvillovv likes this.
  19. Matt98svt

Matt98svt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I ended up purchasing the thinkdiag for my 3rd gen prius v. My main need was to recalibrate the linear solenoid valve when I replace the brake booster assembly upcoming and then bleed the abs system. So far have only played with the thinkdiag but my goodness there are a million options so will have to do my research before using it.

20. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok so what about a dealer tough book with USB red VCI. About 4 million sign ons left and a 10Gb file of all tec. Bulletins and updates firmware etc thru 8/22. 500 bux.. that should do it all for anything before 8/22. Right? I figured it would just be easier to do that then buy a few VCIs and a few other pieces of hardware or what have you this just seemed to make sense and and it seemed to be reasonable priced and it can do any Toyota model so that's what we always own so seem to be the perfect deal and I see them all the time now on eBay.