1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 OBD2 app review

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mr_guy_mann, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So the Mark 8 has no issue leading the brakes? Those are like in the 288 range now if you shop around That's good to know the tablet thingy format makes it much more conducive to this kind of work lugging around the flip up laptop is very cumbersome

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just throwing one more in there- Autel 2500E, which was sold as a newer/better version of the AP200. $68 this week from Amazon.

Uses the same app. Not clear to me what is better about it, but it is helping me with a problem in our car.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Autel has the AP2500 and the AP2500E. I do not see any difference between the two.

So, the adcopy indicates that the "upgrade" is that it can handle CAN FD (flexible data rate). That makes it compatible with some newer cars.

Otherwise it sounds pretty much the same as the AP200 - all system scan, codes & data, "free" for 1 brand but subscription for any others.

The AP2500 has fewer service functions than the AP200, but includes a (EV - hybrid) HV battery diagnostics function. Sounds kinda like Dr Prius but don't know any details.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I recently needed to update my kit and got one of those 2500E rigs. It worked perfectly for my purposes. I'll be curious to play with the HV diagnostic thingy, just to see what they've done. Let me know if you want to compare notes.

I'm not quite sure I understand the "1 brand lifetime access" deal. Does that mean that if I want similar access to a non-Toyota car I need to go buy a second device? I surely wouldn't start a subscription due to the infrequency of my needs, but I'd be open to a second one-time purchase cost.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, you would either need an annual subscription for a second car brand, or I would think that a second device (for a second brand) should work.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So like with the autel tablet type scanners like version 7 and up . I shouldn't need a subscription for my old car only things moving forward past the scanners capability right so in other words when you take it down off the wall and out of the box up until it's manufacture date it's pretty much ready to go moving forward from that date you will need a subscription to I guess this company to get their updates for their scanner to be forward compatible which I would care nothing about that I'm only interested in my generation twos maybe a generation 3 every so on to pronounce it dead and take it away from my shop type of thing and that sort of stuff Old sienna vans all that nothing new I don't care about any Prius primes or plug in hybrids that they have or any of that I don't really mess with that stuff so I wouldn't need a subscription right because the model of the scanner I'm buying was made in like 2021 or two so it should be good to 2021 or 2022 moving forward is where the problem is Is this some kind of correct thinking. Because my battery buddy he doesn't have a subscription to anything He's got a model 8 I believe or series 8 a u t e l m x series scan tool It's like an 8-in tablet It's red like the ones I see on the marketplace and he can bleed brakes and do everything has no subscriptions to anything He bought this thing like I'm going to buy it right offline from somebody out of the box semi used and he's had to buy nothing but he's like me as primarily working on generation twos and 2016 and back cars which this thing is made in 2021 or two so those should be covered

7. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can someone confirm if the Autel 2500e can do the full brake bleed procedure including the Linear Solenoid Valve reset? I'd prefer one of these scantools as I'm not interested in the bootleg Techstream option. If the Autel is not capable, are there any other sub $200 scantools that are capable of the full brake bleed procedure?

#87 rogerthat, May 3, 2024 at 10:39 PM
    Last edited: May 3, 2024 at 10:45 PM