1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 Prius (2004 - 2009) Extended Maintenance Schedule

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by usbseawolf2000, Aug 5, 2010.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Alright, proud Prius owners (PPOs)... As you have noticed, the Maintenance Schedule booklet that came with our car only goes up to 120,000 miles.

My car is now at 131,000 miles and I create an extended schedule that goes all the way up to 300,000 miles. This way, I won't need to think about that to service.

The extended schedule is based on Toyota's suggestion. Engine and Inverter coolant change every 50k miles after the initial 100k miles. Spark plug change at 120k and 240k miles for non-CARB states. For CARB states, it is 150k and 300k miles. I also threw in transmission oil change recommendation at 120k and 240k miles.

Please let me know if you find anything so I can correct or add stuffs to make it better.

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I plan to exchange transmission fluid more often, perhaps every 60k miles.
    As for the coolant fluids, I am undecided. I like the idea of a pH check.

3. Raym

Raym New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Your 140,000 entry has a typo: change to 1"4"0,000.

I was just at a Toyota Dealer yesterday and asked a Prius mechanic about changing my automatic transmission fluid in my 2006 Prius with 120,000 miles on it. He informed me that it doesn't have automatic transmission fluid. The maintenance schedule booklet is generic for Toyota cars, but the Prius doesn't have automatic transmission fluid. It has differential oil, and I had him drain and change it, but it doesn't have automatic transmission fluid. The engine and inverter coolant should be changed at 100k and 50k thereafter, but there is no automatic transmission fluid to change. Notice there is no dipstick for transmission fluid.

Any thoughts on this?

Graceisalreadyours likes this.
  4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Do a search on transaxle fluid change. Also there are stickies on transaxle oil analysis. Good luck! :)

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, the typo is fixed. I edited the original post and re-attached the doc.

Prius has the fluid for the hybrid transaxle (PSD and two MGs) that is not in Toyota's schedule (up to 120k miles) to change. It uses the same ATF WS transmission fluid. It should last the life of the car. To hyper-extend the life, I put the fluid replacement at every 120k miles. Some people do it at 60k miles but I think the inconvenience outweighs the benefit.

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You think? Based on what? There is real data using laboratory analysis of used Type WS ATF in 2004-2009 (now 2010 as well) which indicate that periodic refreshes could be useful to prolong the life of the Prius Transaxle (An expensive part to replace). The general agreement after analyzing the data is that one early ATF refresh (30k miles) followed by ATF refreshes each 60k miles is a low cost ($100 at most dealers) insurance policy.

JeffD

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jeff, thanks for the input. I didn't want to make modification to Toyota's original schedule. I don't think we have seen hybrid transaxle failure due to the lack of ATF change. We have seen a fully functional Classic Prius with over 300k miles with the original ATF.

Therefore, at minimum I put the ATF change at 120k miles. I am considering every 60k miles after that. I want to see how others feel about it. Perhaps Patrick Wong, Hobbit, and others.. can chip in.

8. nthach

nthach New Member

Type WS is reasonably priced at some dealers, and if that is the case more frequent changes couldn't hurt. I can get the stuff for ~$5/quart.

And I think a Caterpillar or Cummins dealer can do a coolant analysis, but I think a 30K coolant change interval can't hurt either. GM's ruined "extended" life coolant in my eyes, after seeing what Dex-Cool becomes of itself after several years.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My practice is to change the ATF WS at 30,000 mile intervals, as that is the point when the viscosity declines 15%.
    That is an excellent price; I have been paying ~$9/quart since a year ago or so when the price shot up.

I don't think it is necessary to change the SLLC coolant sooner than the maintenance schedule suggests (100K miles for the first change, then 50K miles for subsequent changes.) I've drained coolant from high-mileage Prius vehicles and it looks nice and clean without any debris, if someone poured that into a punchbowl you'd drink it without questions.

10. nthach

nthach New Member

I'm still a believer in 30K coolant drains - but I think Toyota SLLC can be safely be ran longer.

Dex-Cool and VW G12 Pink left a bad taste in my mouth. Dex-Cool turns into black mud, and I know people with VWs with auxillary water pump failures on VR6s due to the OEM coolant attacking PA6/GF33 plastics. Both Dex-Cool and OEM VW coolants use sodium/potassium neodecanate and 2-ethylhexanoic acid as their organic acid components - both of which Ford, Chrysler, Mercedes, Toyota and Honda don't want near their engines.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you like to change coolant at 30K mile intervals, no problem. However you can save money by using Toyota Long Life Coolant instead (the red coolant which must be mixed with distilled water) since that is rated for 30K mile changes.

Both Toyota SLLC and LLC are priced around the same, ~$21 per gallon - but SLLC is premixed with distilled water so LLC goes twice as far.

I would say that the 2G engine coolant change is sufficiently difficult, while SLLC seems to demonstrate long service life, so that there's no reason to do it more frequently than required by the maintenance schedule.

12. nthach

nthach New Member

I got an Airlift on the way :p

I talked to Art's Automotive in Berkeley while I was getting the brake system flushed and they said it makes coolant changes on the Prius a breeze...

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I updated the document to change the ATF at 120k, 180k, 240k and 300k miles.

I did not want to make 30k mile interval like an automatic transmission. PSD is so much more simple and reliable.

14. seatown7

seatown7 Northwest Prius Dork

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can you give some feed back on the Airlift? Or maybe a link? I'm interested if it helped your coolant changes and/or other maintenance procedures.

15. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think it is better to use an Excel Sheet, so owners can mark all maintenance they make. It also serves as a great record when they finally sell the car.

Also it is better if you can put in some price info, so we know the total cost for each option.

Even greater if you can organize some group buy for smaller items such as oil filter, gaskets/washer, air filter, light bulbs, or even Optima battery. Since most of us plan to own Prius for long term, I think get a 5 year supply is reasonable for lots of us. Talk with some sellers and let them issue us a special discount code for a period of time.

Just my thoughts. Thank you for being such a great help to all of us!

16. Philhave

Philhave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Awesome cat pic on center console! Cat + Prius = Awesome

17. Graceisalreadyours

Graceisalreadyours New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I totally noticed that lol. Glad I found this forum

18. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I realize this is waaaay too late, but I'd also like to know more about this "Airlift."