1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 Prius: Custom PIDs for Torque (Android App) with formulas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by usbseawolf2000, Jun 24, 2011.

1. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The MFD is not connected to the CAN bus so I don't think there is a way to access that info.

Have you feedback your MPG problem to Ian?

No, but it does have a calibration procedure in the FILLUP menu. You can adjust the amount of fuel in the 2nd refill so the calculated MPG is close to your hand calculation.

The original PID is in metric, you can just use (256 * K + L) / 100.

Vincent

2. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had always assumed the actual calculations were done somewhere outside the MFD and just the MPG data is sent via wire to the MDF for display. I guess it is possible that the raw data (gas use and MPH??) is sent into the MFD and the MFD computer calculates the MPG. Does anyone know for sure?

Ah, it hadn't occurred to me that kW is the metric equivalent to HP. It makes sense now that you point it out.

3. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're talking about what usbseawolf2000 calls "Accelerator Pedal Angle" on his list, right?

Your description makes me long for large expanses of flat land. In the Seattle area we rarely see flat and that is what I am finding pretty challenging. If you are interested, you can see a graph of my home to work commute here: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ds-72-2-sg-mpg-over-30-miles.html#post1330933.

Now that the temps have been in the 45 to 55 range I'm able to maintain about 47MPG on a tank full.

4. groar

groar X-Frenchy: very

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the result of your work:

• 19.4mi @ 76.9mpgUS New commute segment PR
    I just have to reach this at every trip and I have my kilotank [​IMG]

For people interested, here is the log in both CSV and KML:
    http://www.groar.org/EcoModder/20120330AM76.9MPG.zip
    • GPS Time
    • Device Time
    • Longitude
    • Latitude
    • GPS Speed(km/h)
    • Horizontal Dilution of Precision
    • Altitude(m)
    • Bearing
    • Gravity X(G)
    • Gravity Y(G)
    • Gravity Z(G)
    • Accelerator Pedal Angle(%)
    • HV Battery Current(Amp)
    • Engine Coolant Temperature(°F)
    • HV Battery State of Charge(%)
    • ICE Actual RPM(rpm)
    • ICE Power Request (hp)(hp)
    • Trip average MPG(mpg)
    • Fuel used (trip)(gal)
    • Trip Distance(km)
    • Fuel flow rate/minute(cc/min)
    • Miles Per Gallon(Long Term Average)(mpg)
    • COâ<82><82> in g/km (Average)(g/km)
    • COâ<82><82> in g/km (Instantaneous)(g/km)
    • Miles Per Gallon(Instant)(mpg)
    Lots have been selected by torque to be logged.

Denis.

5. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Likely. Tourque has quite a few PIDs for pedal position (at least they do on my Sedona). I'm using an X Gauge that Hobbit originally found for the SGII if memory serves. Sadly, my ODBII splitter seems to have dropped off the face of the earth and need to order another one from Amazon so I can play.

6. labumm

labumm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to ask such a stupid question. I am just beginning to play around w/ this app and your PIDs.

I have installed Torque, connected it to my Prius Gen II (this works) and loaded your PIDs. Unfortunately I cannot find the screen you show above. I only seem to have the default sensors/gauges. What am I missing?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting started.

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to go to post #1 of this thread and download the latest PID file. Then create a SUBDIRECTORY in the Torque Application called EXTENDEDPIDS. Place the pid file you downloaded US, or METRIC into that subfolder. When you start Torque again you will find the list.
    Try reading this whole thread and see what others are doing! :D

8. labumm

labumm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. I did that in the first place. And yes the pids are loaded. I have skimmed through this thread, but I am looking for a missing clue. Seems that I have missed something before the first post :)

What do you suggest I search?

I have looked at the Torque forums, but didn't find much help there.

SPH-D700 ?

9. labumm

labumm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK. The answer was in a post by USBSeawolf2000 at the bottom of page 27.

"From the main menu (rotatable items), choose the Realtime Information. From there, you can add those custom PIDs that you imported. Just touch and hold the empty spot and a menu will come up."

I suggest adding this to the 1st post. I understand that once you have started working with Torque this becomes obvious. However I was beginning by adding "Raw Data Display", which does not seem to have the option to modify the data it displays.

1 person likes this.
  10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I rewrote the post #1. Let me know if it is not clear or want me to add more. Thanks for the feedback.

3 people like this.
  11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Soon it will be my turn .......

12. labumm

labumm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should also mention that the custom PIDs can only be associated with the generic display types Dial, Half Dial, Bar display, Graph, Digital display.

Now I see that everything else on the list is a display already associated with a PID. But when I was first flailing around, this was not obvious. I was immediately attracted to the list display "raw data". What could be better for an initial test?

On a separate issue. Can you point me to documentation to write an additional display, like the "Raw Data display" or "Current Drive Cycle Status". I think it would be useful to have such items whih show all the detail for specific system. For example, the HV battery where the voltage, temp, internal resistance of each HV Battery Block were listed in an organized way. The detail of these would be such that it is impractical to have gauges for each. I'm thinking more of a table, in this case.

SFO likes this.
  13. powerjo

powerjo Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    usb, thanks for your instruction.
    here is my setting: :cheer2:

Attached Files:

14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perfect location, how did you attach the tablet to the center cover in the center??? :confused:

15. powerjo

powerjo Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are 3M hanging strips. Solid tight and removable.
    Zero vibration and no shaking on the trip. very useful ! :rockon:

I put my ipod touch (connects with silverline duo) for listening MP3. Sometimes tablet, sometimes GPS... very fexible !

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  16. justjeff

justjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just wanted to give a tip to all that are not so knowledgeable when it comes to playing with their phones....when you are trying to simply download the csv file to the directory as stated in the original post, please note that my mac did not let me access the SDcard file. So I had to drive myself nuts until I figured out that the Astro file manager downloaded from the app store will let you copy the file by long holding the file and choosing copy, then going back to the last menu and choosing the SDCard file, then going to .torque, then extendedpids file to paste it in by clicking on the paste tab on the top bar....it took me two hours of going crazy until I figured it out. Now I am too tired to play with the app until tomorrow...but it looks like it will be super cool. Thanks everybody!

17. Jaquimo

Jaquimo Paraglider, Prius glider...

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good day everyone,
    I am using Torque Pro and have added some alarms. The alarm for Engine Coolant Temperature works fine. I have also added alarms for the MG1 temperature, MG2 temperature, MG1 Inverter temperature, MG2 Inverter temperature, Converter temperature, HV battery fan speed, HV battery fan voltage but these alarms trigger randomly and with strange notifications as shown in the attached pics. The fan speed and voltage trigger at a °Celcius value while the MG1 and MG2 and their inverters and the converter temperature alarms trigger at an RPM value. When I add gauges for the temperature of the MG1 and 2 and their inverters and the converter all the individual temperatures display fine.
    I have also attached the PID file that I have put together from information from this thread and information that I found on the internet (The PID filename was appended with .txt to allow upload as an attachment). The PID names that I added or modified are indicated by a tilde character (~) at the end. Perhaps there is something in the file that cause this strange behaviour.
    Anybody else that use the alarm function in Torque? I would like to ensure that I do not bug the developer with something that I caused or could fix myself. Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

SC20120409-162355.jpg SC20120409-162618.jpg

View attachment Jaquimo_Gen2_Prius_4-9-12_Metric_.csv.txt

18. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wondering if this is just a pure load issue. Generally Torque only cycles through the gauges it must display. This gets added to if you have some that are logged as it must do all of those as well. Of course, if you add alarms, it must do all of those too. So depending on how many gauges you are showing, logging and alarming, you may not be able to get an answer back from the ECU quickly enough and that gets the odd value, and hence the alarm. This may be especially true if the device you are using is also your phone with any number of other background jobs it has to do in addition to running Torque.

Maybe you should try to reduce the number of items actively scanned and see if the problem goes away.

19. benjita

benjita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm able to load USB's file but can not find the Kw PID. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks!

20. benjita

benjita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re-read this thread and found that you can just edit ICE Power (hp) to get Kw. See post 279.

1 person likes this.