1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 Prius: Custom PIDs for Torque (Android App) with formulas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by usbseawolf2000, Jun 24, 2011.

1. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    But is there an iPad app that will do custom PIDs like Torque? That's a big advantage is has. My cheap bluetooth scanner seems to update fast enough, even when I'm displaying 6 guages and logging even more. I think the car itself is the slowest link in the chain.

2. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Don't know about that, but here's a thread from another forum that talks about iPad vs Android:
    Bluetooth OBD II reader and ipad app - The Garage Journal Board
    They seem to come down in favor of Android, since the iPad apps are pretty pricey. I haven't looked into the recommended iPad apps to see if they support custom PIDs. (OTOH, it's not obvious from looking at the data about Torque that Torque supports them, either.) I guess I'll stick with Android and Torque for now. What started all this was that Amazon is selling PLX's Kiwi 2 (WiFi version) at an attractive discount, but not the Bluetooth version.

3. HawtDogFlvrWtr

HawtDogFlvrWtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Has anyone managed to figure out the fuel level pid for the gen2 prius? I'm interested in a getting a realtime percentage of what the prius believes its fuel level is, to create a tasker (check on google play) which downloads gas price information of near by stations when it see's I have 10-20% gas remaining and then notify me of the closest station with the cheapest gas prices. I've got this working on my 09 dodge grand caravan perfectly, as it reports the remaining fuel perfectly.. unfortunately, the gen2 prius is a pain in the tookis.

if someone is willing to help out with getting the metric, I will be more than happy to share the tasker profile with others so that they can leverage it :)

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    This is one of the earliest PIDs decoded. Passive message header 5A4, 2nd data byte (liters). It seems to be some sort of raw reading so it fluctuates up and down a bit, but should still be good enough for your purpose. Have fun!

5. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    can this app ( torqeu ) also calculate Km or Miles to empty or is there PID for this already where the prius does this...

6. HawtDogFlvrWtr

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How would I leverage that within torque (android)? that's the key as torque has the ability to log to a file which I can query and do my magic.

7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just enter the corresponding values into the custom csv file. I haven't studied the format of the csv file since I don't use Torque. Someone else can give you step by step instructions much quicker than I could.

8. HawtDogFlvrWtr

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    2009Prius

Thank you for your help and fast responses.. After searching this thread, it appears that torque doesn't support passive pid's as the bluetooth interface is to slow.

References: post 54

Your Reference: post 50

I'm probably just completely confused as this is the second day i'm even looking at this.

9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Ah I forgot about that. Sorry.

10. HawtDogFlvrWtr

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Crap!

11. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

12. HawtDogFlvrWtr

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    *EDIT* NEVERMIND. IT WAS THROWING AN ERROR... How would I (from a bluetooth terminal) filter on 5A4 and get that information? Here's what I did previously....

atsp0
    atcra5A4
    atma

and i'm seeing 63 25. is that saying the 25 is fuel in liters?

13. HawtDogFlvrWtr

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Update:

I think I got it... I did the following to kill the buffer errors:

atz
    atcaf0
    atd1
    atma
    atcra5A4
    atma

and now it's displaying simply 63 25 over and over.. did I get it?

14. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How full is your tank? 25l would be about half a tank, maybe a bit more. If you fill it up and it shows something close to 48, then its probably right.

15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes I think you got it - 25(hex; 37 dec) liters of fuel left. Congratulations! Remember that's a noisy reading so don't stretch it too far - you don't want to run out of fuel unnecessarily.

16. HawtDogFlvrWtr

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five

haha Awesome! that's exactly the gas amount I have left.. forgot about the decimal conversion... Now i need to find a way to write that to a log every few seconds and i'll be good to go.

*EDIT* Confirmed! I just drove into work, and the numbers correlated perfectly as I was driving... Also, you're right.. the number does fluctuate a bit.. it appears that when a reading comes back about 40 times at a lowered fuel level, the gauge changes on the dash. I bet it's because the tank is a bag as well as sloshing.

17. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so with the fuel in the tank can we set torque to calculate KM or MILES based on whats left and average MPG / KM/L

18. HawtDogFlvrWtr

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Unfortunately, i wasn't able to use torque to get the fuel tank value. I had to use a bluetooth terminal found in the play store and typed the commands above. I'm going to leverage SL4A to send commands to the elm327 which will spit back the correct filtered CAN to a file, which I will in turn, have tasker read and notify me when my tank is getting low.... Until torque allows you to run filtered/passive can info, it can only be done from a BT terminal.

More to follow:

19. glyndwr

glyndwr Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi all,

I have a pis plug in hybrid kit.
    Is there a way the torque app can display the actual state of charge and also the spoofed state of charge, would be handy at the moment while I'm setting up the kit.

Apparently this can be done using scan gauge, wondering whether torque could do the same.

Many thanks.

20. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    If you could find the PID's from the Sacangauge you need, I guess Torque can handle them with out a problem.

glyndwr likes this.