1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 Prius Engine Removal Guide - Out the top of the engine bay

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BodenM, Jun 26, 2018.

1. bernie3015

bernie3015 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I forgot to mention you also have to remove the exhaust manifold to get the engine out from the top. And remember to put it back in before you put the shelf for the wipers and the wipers back.

Also, a friend helped me and he showed me how to make guide pins. If you have extra bolts that connect the engine to the transmission just cut the heads off two of the bolts and grind the end to a point. This makes it very easy to mate the engine to the transmission. You have to set them up so you can easily get these guide pins out once you have mated the engine to the transmission.

Also, besides a chain hoist for the engine I used two floor jacks one for the engine and one for the transmission. that way I could easily get them to mate.

#21 bernie3015, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  2. Bachelor boB

Bachelor boB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just did my own, 1-man IC engine replacement (2007 Gen2), out the top. Did remove passenger headlight and wiper fluid tank (frame clip designed by sadist). Unmounted, but did not disconnect, brake fluid reservoir and AC compressor. Did not remove inverter, transmission, radiator fans, radiator, intake manifold, or exhaust manifold.

Left wiring harness attached to ECUs behind glove box and most of harness folded to front during removal of dead engine. *Major mistake*, causing lots of damage and stress to wiring harness casing and a very difficult lift out. (Once there, with engine unmounted and on hoist, I could not move harness back to behind the engine. Would have caught on exhaust manifold back there anyway.) Detached harness from ECUs, draping it to right side of engine bay for descent of replacement engine, making for a WAY easier in than the out.