1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 tachometer install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Italianhitman, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Italianhitman

Italianhitman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Im trying to install a tachometer to my 2008 Toyota Prius I was reading some forums about some people actually installing a needle Style tachometer that is what I'm trying to do PicsArt_03-28-02.14.20.png now I read somewhere that the igf is where I guess I would tap my wire into from the tachometer I'm not sure that's why I'm asking somebody here that me understand this better than I.
    If anybody has any information on how to properly wire up a needle style tachometer to a 2008 Gen 2 Prius please let me know PicsArt_03-28-02.14.20.png PicsArt_03-28-02.14.20.png

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There was a very recent thread, say within the last month, from somebody doing exactly that. You might see if you can search that up.

It ended with the guy saying he was very happy with how the tach worked, and helped him notice how easy it was to "redline" without meaning to ... all in a car that computer-controls its own engine revs and doesn't redline under any circumstances. It made me go hmm.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just buy a scan xgauge every car owner should have one. Reads codes and has a tach.

Not much to see tach wise on the car it’s a very low reving narrow power band engine.

#3 edthefox5, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  4. Italianhitman

Italianhitman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If you find that thread please let me know. And for the other guy, if i wanted to hook up a computer via obd2 i wouldnt be asking how to do it. Any and all information is greatly appreciated

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

The search feature has been working (again) for quite some time (Yay!!), most find it difficult to use (can't locate it).

Doing a search for "tachometer" in Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications | PriusChat while only displaying results from the last year yields the @DivideByZer0 thread in question.

Doing a search for "tachometer" in the top level https://priuschat.com/ refined for results from within the last month again yields the @DivideByZer0 thread, and this current thread.

Will be interesting to see how you approach your tachometer install. If possible, post pictures and a write up for others.

DivideByZer0 likes this.
  6. DivideByZer0

DivideByZer0 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Fair enough, the engine is rated for higher RPM, pardon my improper nomenclature. But if you're concerned about how hard you're pushing the engine or how fast you're revving it up and down or how much headroom you have available it's a useful tool. (and then you just see whether the whims of the ECUs send the power to the battery or to the wheels)

I'd be glad to answer any questions about the install, by the way, but it's pretty straightforward and it looks like you've got a good idea what's going on. Don't count on my photos for the wire color, use Hobbit's guide to locate the wire position. I've heard of wire harnesses on different year Priuses having different colored wires, I'm not sure if that harness would but doesn't hurt to be careful.

You should check the instructions for your tachometer if it was manufactured semi recently and see if it accepts the lower voltage signals from the glove box wire. I don't have any knowledge about connecting it directly to the ignition source, so I wouldn't be any help there, although it would certainly save on buying a tach amplifier and would be an improvement to the mod.

My thought is to clamp an oscilloscope to the possible signal source with of course the properly rated voltage and cables and such and see if you're getting the correct signal. Perhaps you could just use a multimeter to verify the voltage was at an appropriate level? Not sure about this though

#6 DivideByZer0, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    SFO likes this.