1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 to Gen3 random thoughts

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Scoteetee, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Scoteetee

Scoteetee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but it's kind of a conglomeration of my thoughts...

A couple weeks ago, I moved from a 2005 Prius 3 (~160k miles) to a 2014 Prius 4 (~50k miles). Tough time to buy a car, especially a Prius, and especially in the SF Bay Area, so I pounced when I found one I liked. The old car needed a new catalytic converter (wasn't stolen - it needed replacement to pass inspection). I considered this expensive fix, but between that & a regular oil leak, I thought it was time to move on & invest elsewhere.

So, after a couple weeks in the 2014, I've noticed the increased power - it won't ever be mistaken for a GTI, but compared to my old car, it feels nicely peppy.

The flying buttress has grown on me - if nothing else it's more comfortable to rest my arm on it - though I do miss the shelf on the 2005 Gen 2 that I could use for my iPhone, which was perfectly placed for navigation.

I also really like having the remaining estimated mileage, rather than just the gas pips.

So while the new car is better in most every way, there are a couple paper cuts I've noticed... like the sunglasses holder? It is very shallow, and won't hold the same pair that fit into the Gen2. Maybe a flat pair would fit - time will tell.

Also - there is not really a good place to put an iPhone - unlike the previous generation, which was perfect. I'd rather not use an arm, and am leaning towards upgrading the stock radio (with JBL) to one that supports CarPlay - looks like there are options available. I'm curious if newer screens will work well in the car, since it is at an angle - wondering if glare will still be an issue, as it is during the day on the stock screen.

But I love the 2014. I'm a generation behind, but it feels (and looks) like a new car to me!

Johnny Cakes and PriusCamper like this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I could go on and on about why Gen2 is better than Gen3, but specific to the flying buttress, I've been looking for someone who wants to do a gen3 buttress removal redesign like this one below that's in the UK. So if you're interested, hit me up!

Screenshot from 2020-12-29 00-00-20.png

#2 PriusCamper, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Arent all those parts avail off other prii done don't have the attached consoles no? Yeah i'd like to dump the mess blocking the old transmission hump all that plastic is really kind of a pain sometimes but I wouldn't want to have to spend a lot or go through a bunch of crap to do it as I rarely look down at the console or use it personally that's the wife's car the gen 2 thank God I have a few of them and they're all running fine so I won't have to get out of my stuff girls seemingly like to do that every few years just for smells or something

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone here took a sawzall to theirs, iirc

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have a link to that thread or any keywords I could use to search for it?

I've always wondered if it would weaken the structural integrity of the car if it was removed?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no more than you do. it's just a vague recollection of an old man, and may have been done in reality, or in theory