1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen3 - 2012 Prius III water leak in rear hatch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by TheRightStuff, Jun 15, 2022.

1. TheRightStuff

TheRightStuff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We have a 2012 Prius III that developed a water leak in the upper part of the rear hatch. The water would collect into the upper trim and then would leak into the car when we opened the rear hatch.

After looking at the issue for a while I discovered that the window washer nozzle on the upper part of the rear hatch had been pressed in slightly and it deformed the metal around it. So I removed the nozzle, pushed the metal back up, and put some silicon caulk around the inside and outside of the washer nozzle.

It's been months now and no more water leaks. Just posting this in case anyone else had this issue.

It seems like the metal around the rear washer nozzle can bend easily and the factory rubber seal doesn't always making a good seal. This is a viable fix for anyone else with this issue.

2. Half Vast

Half Vast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good tip! Thanks for posting!

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How would that happen, likely a car wash?

4. TheRightStuff

TheRightStuff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That would be my guess also. I'm not the original owner so my guess is that the previous owner took the vehicle through an automatic car wash and the upper wash agitator/roller was a bit too aggressive. And when it hit the rear washer nozzle it bent inward just enough to start leaking.

The metal on a Prius isn't very rigid so I could see that applying too much pressure to any one spot can easily deform the metal.

Mendel Leisk likes this.