1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen3 engine coolant water pump troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Max Johns, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Max Johns

Max Johns New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all, just finished replacing head gasket on 2012 Prius with 210k. Seems to be working well and a I’m refilling and checking coolant system to make sure no issues. Thermostat checked out but I had an mil p148f pump over speed and want to make sure it’s working before I drive. Checked on tech stream and was getting up to 3900 rpms with car on and heater running. I did notice that water reservoir was overflowing some and believe the pump may not be flowing even though it shows 3900 rpms. Thinking of pulling pump out unless others have better idea. Thanks!

2. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is the water pump 210k mile's old? If so, change it. I think a lot of people replace it with the head gasket and I would be one of them. Often times it's the cause of the head gasket failure in the first place.

If it's newer I would still say pull it and check. It's easy enough. If you have a busted "propeller" (is that what's it's called?) I doubt it would affect the RPM reading. I would be monitoring the temp at the very least make sure you don't go much over 180-190F. You don't want to wait until the temp light comes on especially with a new head gasket.

Max Johns likes this.
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Check for air in system

Max Johns likes this.