1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen3 Enginer 8kWh Kit First full tank..

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by banshee08, Feb 6, 2010.

1. JonnyD

JonnyD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Chan for the 2x breaker recommendation.
    Dual converter will pull ~120A and definitely trip that breaker.

My parts are on order just waiting for the delivery to start playing.

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    you will have to realize that this parts should be a "DC" rated components; not the regular AC rated ones used for common residential/light commercial
    disconnect applications.

3. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    mrbigh is right. You should really get the one Jack includes in the case. He charged me $45 with shipping so it is not too bad at least Jack will backup the product if it goes bad.

4. smonroe123

smonroe123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanx for the info. i do understand now. Just to let you guys know i lucked out and somehow got myself into an agree with a research / development company up northeast to help them to set up the specs for the manufacture of a prototype set of four power-generating shock absorbers with complete damping and power controller. these shocks do not use any hydraulic system. they are based on super condensed layered magnetic fields. so i was thinking of bringing in the power from the shocks to the 4Kw Enginer kit. i do not know how much total available power there will be yet. the company says it will give me a baseline in about 2 to 3 months, after finish testing of two other prototypes in progress. when i get the baseline from the company, i suppose that if anybody else would be interested we could start another thread. i have some general info on the shocks. if you would lke to check it out, shoot me an email and i'll send you the file.

Sam

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It's not that I want to burst your bubble but, this thread is not the place for this type of commentaries, that for me it sounds like SPAM advertising.
    As you said, if you want, make a relevant one in the Prius Chat's Freds House of Pancakes

6. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

may be you can post it; since I would like to set my 2 converter set points as well.

thanks, Paul

7. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NICE!!! I can't wait. My 8kw system is on the way, I think I might get it installed early next month!

8. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Paul,
    No, this information is not available to be posted. If you need your converters adjusted you need to contact your insaller. If you did the install yourself then you need to contact Jack.

Thanks,
    Dan

9. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just finished another tank with 2 converters:

8kWh 2 converters: Filled up 2010-02-23
    1075.7 Miles
    9.610 gallons (87 octane)
    111.9 MPG
    33 MPH AVG.

Weather has been rainy and cold lately so hopefully I can see anther few MPGs. My goal is to get to 120MPG at some point. Again my daily commute is about 70 miles and I charge twice a day.

Thanks,

Chan

10. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I'll contact Jack.

I think my converter may not be charging agressive enough as it takes a long time to get another increased bar. How long would you say it should take for the Enginer kit to bring the stock pack from 2 bar to 7 bars; with the car parked and on ?

11. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi pbui,
    My guesstimate is 6 minutes per bar.

If you have a clamp on DC ammeter you can check it. You will have 10a at lower Prius SOC and then when the Prius voltages come up it will drop to 6-7a and then to 3a and at your set piont it will go to 0a. So the last bar will take a lot longer.

If the car sits with the ready light on and the Enginer system on. It should eventually get to 7 barrs but not to 8 bars. Do you get this?

You might talk to Paul at 3prongpower in Berkley. He is an installer and can check out your system for you.

Thanks,
    Dan

12. JonnyD

JonnyD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mike, you can use the ScanGuage to easily check the charge current and voltage of the converter. If you don't have one. You can borrow mine. I'm in San Jose. Just drop me a email.

13. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dan - thanks for the 3prong idea. I'll keep that in mind. I checked the converter open circuit voltage and it's at 233.8v, a little low from Jack's recommended 242v. That explains why it wasn't charging my pack much beyond the 4-5th bar.

I disassembled my pack today to do bottom balancing, I only have 2 lamps drawing 2A total, I have search back messages. I vaguely recall Chan recommending at least 10A drain, but why ? 2A should work, just takes longer ?

Pb

14. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You put 32 cells in parallel to be sure that you drain them all together to exactly the same level. So 2a/32cells is only 63ma. This is way too low. You will get a much different balance point at low currents than you will get with the current draw that the system has. This is because of the normal cell to cell variation in internal resistance. For a 4kwhr system the system draw is 22-23a.

It might be good to move this discussion to the Balance at the bottom thread.

Thanks,
    Dan Lander

15. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am considering getting a second converter. One thing I've wondered, will I need to run a larger gage cable to the HV battery than what is supplied by Enginer? Or is it safe to daisy chain the two converters together using existing cable?

16. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dan - good idea, I'll post in Balance at the bottom thread
    thanks - Paul

17. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you mean "daisy chain" in series right ? You would be paralleling them to the stock pack.

I was looking for the wire gage size between the converter and the stock pack, I couldn't find the size. With 2 converters, you'll can push up to 24A; better make sure the cable size is at least a 12 awg, 10 awg is preferred.

18. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am pretty sure but the wires going to the HV battery is 8awg. I am using 8awg that I had from my last stereo install and it is fine never get hot at all. I would recommend a upgrade to at least 4awg between battery and converters. Also do get a second breaker as two converters can hit about 140A according to Jack.

19. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, I meant they would be in parallel circuit, but what I was referring to was just having one converter's output have wires run over to the primary converter and spliced in there, rather than running two separate wires from the HV battery all the way to each converter.

20. chenyj

chenyj Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Enginer provides HV and control splitters for the second converter which is adjusted lower voltage to prevent overcharge the OEM battery at idle but run at full throughput during driving.