Gen3 HV battery into Gen2?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Papito23, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Papito23

Papito23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2011 (Gen3) Prius with 118,000 mi, with original HV battery.

A good friend has a 2006 (Gen 2) Prius with 220,000+ mi. Just bought it for $500.

He got some error codes, took the cells apart, fiddling with them... if he can't get it to work he's considering a new battery ($1300).

In terms of maximizing use of natural resources... I was thinking why drop a new battery in that old beast?

Is it possible/useful to do the following: install a new battery in mine, then give/barter my 2011 battery to him to install in his 2006 (he's a handyman and I'm always requesting services on my house).

That way the newer battery goes into a frame/engine with have the age/miles.

Dumb idea? Lots of unforeseen problems?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Worth a shot;).

As long as both parties are on board:whistle:.

All you have to do is swap modules to make it work:).

But ensure you test before touching. Safety first (y).

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A NEW battery? Sure. But for $1300 is sure as heck isn't NEW. You'll be trading your known aged pack for a used-and-abused refurb pack... Don't do that. But for a new pack, sure. You'd have to tear each one down and rebuild. The metal enclosures themselves are not compatible nor are the ECUs or anything else.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.