1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen3 needs engine in cali

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Priuscali42, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Priuscali42

Priuscali42 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    hey PC! Im in cali, just bought a gen 3 prius 3 weeks ago. Got an issue with the head gasket leak and im soon in need of an engine transplant since i already changed the batt after 2 weeks of use. Is there anyone in cali that can do the gen 4 engine swap to my prius? Anyone knows a reliable mechanic and not break the bank? Also a good place to buy used gen 4 engine?

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You don’t say exactly in Cali where you are, however LKQ has multiple listings all over Cali starting at $800. Try eBay too. Sometimes LKQ will list their engines on eBay cheaper then they have them on their own website. I ran into that last June when I was looking for mine. They had engines listed on eBay cheaper then my employer could buy them at wholesale pricing.

SFO and m.wynn like this.
  3. Joele3

Joele3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used Benzeen in Rancho Cordova. I found them on ebay. Called them up asked about a motor on ebay. Guy said I can do 1150 cash out the door I'll have one here under 25k. I went down there showed me pictures of motor and car it came out of, said it had 24k. They pulled the motor to the front of yard. Looked good but I ran the tag # through their website which displayed it has 44k. I refused the first motor they pulled and I ended up with one that has 16k miles. I ran the vin through toyota owners. It shows the service history from all Toyota dealers. Gen 3 motors with low mileage are going for a premium. This is a gen 4 motor 2016. They almost pulled a fast one on me.

SFO, m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That’s no joke, and it’s the same everywhere. 300-800 difference. I saw someone asking 2250(!) for a Gen 3 with 145k on car-part.com when I was looking for mine. My local yard still has 1400 on the one that I first looked at back in June. It’s listed at 122k.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At some point does it become more expedient to rebuild your engine, or:

1. By the time you're looking it's a goner?
    2. The labour and expertise involved makes it cost prohibitive?

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you try HP motors that is about 100 yards closer on Recycle road?

They have rack after rack of Prii:):

Toyota Prius Parts 2004-2017 - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

And might be better to deal with(y).

m.wynn likes this.
  7. Priuscali42

Priuscali42 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Id like to get a good gen 4 engine for my gen 3 since ill be fixing it up maybe by the end of the year and make it a vip prius

8. ilovegirls

ilovegirls Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No idea what your location is but I found a shop in orange county, hybrid 911. They do swaps. I have never used them or spoken to them but stumbled on them lurking around.

9. TeleSkiUT

TeleSkiUT New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’m looking at them to do mine. They have rebuilt Gen 3 for 2800 cash, 6 month warranty. Gen 4, low mileage for 3800. I’ll probably do the Gen 4. Curious if anyone else has got an engine there, and if the pricing is ok. They put in new h2O pump with the install.
    I’m not a mechanic, nor do I know any reliable mechanics.