1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen3 prius 4 with HID headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by steve53mg, Dec 17, 2022.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So then again without me having to hunt a car down does the dual projector generation 3 headlight assembly need special low beam headlight assembly and ballast or is it like the original Gen 3 and can take h8 and h11s in their respective main holes for forward lighting or is the dual projector a proprietary bulb and ballast for the low beam and just a regular halogen or LED in the high beam???

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The dual-projector LED headlight does not have anything replaceable for the low beams. They are built-in LEDs. If they ever go bad, you replace the assembly. The LED driver circuit is a separately-replaceable module, though, that mounts on the bottom, kind of like a ballast might if they were HIDs.

The high beams are bog-standard halogen bulbs you can twist the socket out and replace just like any other.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I can't wait to see what the aftermarket offers you need to go check that today.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The OP already posted a photo, and has the single-projector, replaceable halogen bulb style.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I must be missing something here I thought he posted a picture was it a gold car with dual projectors saying that he wanted to replace the bulbs or something it's gone on too long now for me to remember all the pictures but I want the dual projectors with the regular LED in the low beam not $1,800 worth of nonsense I need to call them aftermarket light people and see if they're going to be able to help me out I mean is rarely as I use the high beams It seems kind of pointless but if they were $100 a housing while mine are getting ugly I would do that but certainly not spend over $1,800 for two housings two ballast wiring harness whatever else has to go in with the mess for $1,800 I could manufacture my own very nice light system probably with real shuttered projectors and then I would only need one because the high beam in the low beam could be in one housing with the real shutter.