1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen3 Prius battery filter maintenance scam

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Andres V, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hi.
    Roughly 2 months ago I had to take my 2010 Prius to the Toyota dealer for an error message "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM". The dealer solved the problem by cleaning the battery air filter and resetting the message.
    Today, going back for a Safety Recall campaign the agent asked me if last time the filter was just cleaned or changed altogether. I didn't remember but it turns out it was only cleaned as he cleared that out for me looking on his database and says I need a new one.
    The quote for the filter is too expensive and I immediately think to look for it elsewhere since it's just an air filter.
    My question is about the actual filter. Is there one at all?
    I'm looking to DIY guides, and the filter is nowhere to be found. They just show the fan and the dusts that builds up inside.
    Is there such a thing as a battery filter? Is a "cabin air filter" the same thing?
    Thanks.

By the way I am still looking for a comprehensive DIY guide to do this maintenance, if you know one can you recommend it to me please.

#1 Andres V, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The cabin filter is behind the glovebox and for the incoming fresh air

The battery fan filter is in the grille on the rear seat

Just check it and cleanif necessary. Not sure I would all it a filter, but a grille.

I think you can buy a filter that attaches behind it on amazon

EDo you carry shedding Animals? They should have checked and or cleaned the cooling fan when you got the message, do you have the paperwork?

3. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's exactly what I thought! It's a grille! Reading more carefully the quote that the dealer gave me, it doesn't even say "filter" it says "Air duct". I just called them they don't even know what they are selling claiming it's all attached, it's a kit.
    So there is no such thing as a "battery air filter change". It can only be cleaned.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think Toyota came out with an add on filter at some point, after realizing the grille wasn’t always effective.
    Otherwise they would end up replacing more batteries under warranty

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Andres V I would clean the hybrid battery fan. There's a video by @NutzAboutBolts on doing this, here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat
    (#21)

I wouldn't pull off the rear seat cushion though. There's a single 12 mm (socket size) bolt you need to access, behind the seat cushion: you can just push apart the seat cushion and back and reach through with a ratchet wrench extension. Be careful not to drop the bolt though.

You can clean the fan without complete removal, and run some sort of duster boa through all the ductwork.

The hatch floor fasteners are very stubborn; when doing ours the first time I left most of them off when reinstalling.

NutzAboutBolts and Andres V like this.
  6. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    bisco likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cleaning it yourself takes about an hour.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That’s ridiculous

Andres V likes this.
  9. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The fan and "filter" should have been cleaned already 2 months ago by the dealer, I payed for it. Now that I'm learning how to do stuff myself I will double check but I'm not buying a new filter nor an air duct as suggested.
    I immagined I can clean that grille myself, it's this opening right here right? https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2015/06/76300_image.jpg

#9 Andres V, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's the opening. The dust accumulations tend to be in the fan itself, as well as some in the duct work.

If the dealership did clean everything properly you won't really have anything to clean so soon after, but it doesn't hurt to have a look. If you've got a reasonable assortment of tools and know how, it's an hour or two. Watch the video.

Andres V likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Some people add a bit of foam to the grille, but you have to be careful not to restrict airflow

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I put window screen material behind it, maybe 1/16" square openings. I had denser stuff before, but started getting nervous.