1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen3 warming up stages

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ken1784, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Lovec1990

Lovec1990 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^i think we misunderstood each other. im asking when ICE starts for the first time EV icon(Green car icon with EV writen in it) dissapears and later it appears again my question was when said icon appears again can it be asumed ICE reached operating temperature?

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Warmed but not to optimal driving temp. During winters, on start up after ICE shuts off and only on EV, engine temp is 102F.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Battery charge goes up during cold soak ICE warm up even it's SOC is beyond 60%

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just speaking from my prius experiences, once ICE shuts off for the first time after cold soak start up, temp is 102F. When I drive away with ICE back on, the next time ICE goes off is around 130F. When I drive off with ICE on again, it shuts off at 150F. When I repeat, it shuts off at 170F. After that ICE will shut off regularly. These are stop and go coasting through traffic intersection so I don't hold accelerator all the way down to 190F after cold soak, which I've done before.

5. Lovec1990

Lovec1990 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    im asking this becouse my regual trips are short, but im worried car will not reach proper temperature

6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's always a concern of mine also. I use apps to monitor real time engine temperatures, sometimes my drive around town are 5 to 10 minutes each under 40 mph so I block the the entire lower grill while monitoring the all temperatures and remove the block as needed.

7. Lovec1990

Lovec1990 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^ i think Toyota stole this idea for gen 4 Prius as it has active grill shutters:)

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Honda 2016-17 CRV took this idea also but it wasn't good enough to even get engine temp to operating temp even after highway driving. Owners had dipstick oil filling up pass the full because fuel weren't burning completely combusting causing fuel to leak down into crankcase filling up with fuel, all over youtube.

9. Lovec1990

Lovec1990 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so i will ask more directly how would Prius handle two 2,4mil long trips per day regualy?

10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say it wouldn't handle it well. The engine would barely get warmed up. Then again, the same is true with any car and the Gen 4 Prius warms up incredibly quickly if that's what you're considering. For that kind of driving, I think a plug-in would be ideal.

Lovec1990 likes this.
  11. Lovec1990

Lovec1990 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand that Plug in would be ideal but sadly i cant find any good on sale in my country i was thinking of buying 2012-2013 Prius but based on technology gen 4 may be best becouse it may warm up faster than gen 3 or normal ICE car in my trips

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would personally avoid owning & driving a hybrid in short city speed commute no more than 5 miles daily. Most of the cost savings of owning a hybrid is when you drive far and often all together. Your mpgs fe won’t reach the high 40s on average terrain only if after engine reaches operating temp. There’s a fella in here that has a short commute but on weekends he cruises on the highway for an hour. In you shoes, if I had to keep the car, my oci would be every 3,000 mi even w/synthetic.

13. Lovec1990

Lovec1990 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly i need to rely on car for this trips becouse i cannot rely on others and biking and walking its not safe and i will not cry if im achiving lower MPGs im only worried i will damage the cars engine,battery,.... half of this trip are country roads(55mph), does this change anything.?

14. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Try finding a prius gen3 plug in

15. Lovec1990

Lovec1990 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there is only one on sale but at price it is its more logical to buy 4 gen

16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think you'll damage anything. But with trips that short I'd not be surprised to find a need to put the 12V battery on a charger from time to time because the trips might not be long enough to keep it fully charged. You should not damage the hybrid system, but you also won't be getting much benefit from it either.

Lovec1990 likes this.
  17. Lovec1990

Lovec1990 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    too finish this i downloaded owners manuals and tried too find any warning about driving only short trips and found only one that say i need too change oil every 5k or 6months if i do repeatedly short trips in winter no other warnings so we can assume car will handle it if i stick to oil changes every 6 months

RMB and jerrymildred like this.
  18. Tekken

Tekken Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even my 2013 Prius coolant temperature 180 degree F (82 C), the engine still kick in ICE mode for 2 min or more. It refuse to run EV mode.

After 10 mins of drive time, I park to drop off stuffs. When I power up the engine again and step the gas pedal again. The ICE mode kick inand stay on for more than 2 mins. Even the engine has 82C or highter on Torque Apps. What Stage is it??

Los Angels temperature is 85 - 95 F last 3 week. The should have enough temperature to switch back EV mode, but it refuse.

19. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Normal, happens to me also. But once ICE reaches 190F or warmer again, ICE will shut off. That;s why I leave car ready when going into teh store for less than 5 minutes. I get poo poo'd in here for doing that with parking brakes on.

20. Tekken

Tekken Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In Los Angeles.. stolen car every sec. By leaving the car READY mode and can't lock up the door. It could get more than poo and I have to Walk home.