1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen4 - How often has your windshield needed replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius2016excel, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Prius2016excel

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    2016 owner here. So my windscreen needed replacing 5 months after purchase -(car was 3.5 years old at this point. No sign of damage one moment, the next it had splintered.

Fast forward to now (3 years 3 months after replacement) and windscreen has cracked -(again, appeared from nowhere/no obvious impact to windscreen).

FA5E41A1-F3CD-4263-B42E-2BF4A88F2043.jpeg

I’ve put about 85k miles on the vehicle in that time but interested if anyone else also had frequent replacements?

Maybe it’s another early adopter bug? Toyota Prius Slammed With Lawsuit Over Self-Destructing Windshield | Torque News

2. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    The original 2016 windscreen was made a little too thin to save weight, these were inclined to crack in a similar way to your pic. This was updated in later 2017 onwards models.
    If you had your original screen replaced with a “like for like” 2016 part it would have still had the same issue.

Prius2016excel likes this.
  3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Once since new. Same scenario as you, but I did hear the sound of a "rock" hitting the windshield while driving. I searched the visible portion of the windshield, found nothing so I forgot about it. Next morning, my windshield had a large crack emanating from the bottom of the windscreen. Upon further inspection, there was in fact a "chip" in the lower portion of the glass in the black section where everything started. Replaced it with the common "non Toyota" brand glass and it has held up to today. My lane departure was mis-aligned after, so I turned it OFF and don't really miss it.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My Prime had about 66k miles on it when I traded it. Still the original windshield. But a friend in Mississippi who drove lots of gravel roads in his 2016 had his replaced three times in his first two years, iirc.

5. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    My windshield has been hit twice while at 55mph. No cracks. Original since new.

6. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your windshield probably gets hit by rock and chips all the time

7. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2016 Prius with 66k miles and no cracks on the original windshield. We drive it cross country once or twice a year.

moto g power ?

8. Prius2016excel

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Well the windscreen has been replaced with a Toyota OEM part by the looks of it. Out of interest when the 4th generation was refreshed in 2019? the back end was extensively refreshed. Were any subtle changes made to the front that could affect aerodynamics/windshield ?

2F346218-9B5F-4248-8FBD-5882DD73066D.jpeg

9. Prius2016excel

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Well this is starting to get bloody annoying now. 6 weeks on after a complete windscreen replacement my new windscreen is again compromised.

I don’t drive anywhere ‘exotic’, and I don’t sit behind trucks full of rubble -just normal highway driving at normal speeds. The windscreen will probably need replacing again to pass UK testing law. My insurance company are going to love me.

I’m of the opinion that the aerodynamics are scooping up stones and they’re slamming into the windscreen with more force on this vehicle. I’ve literally never had to replace a windscreen before on any other vehicle and I’m on my 3rd, and probably needing a 4th.

Seems like I’m not the only one.
    https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Prius/2016/windows_windshield/windshield_cracks_easily.shtml

I
    ’ll ask again: does anyone know if any subtle design changes were made to the front of the 4th generation after 2016? It seems specific to 2016’s as far as I can tell. Thanks.
    IMG_3795.jpeg IMG_3794.jpeg IMG_3793.jpeg

#9 Prius2016excel, Apr 22, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  10. Prius2016excel

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Just been outside and overnight, as if by magic, it’s developed into a full blown crack. Give me a break. 3 new windscreens in 4 years of ownership. All very well saving money on fuel when it then goes out on paying insurance charges. 2016 -the year to avoid… IMG_3809.jpeg IMG_3808.jpeg

11. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    My 2021 has a couple of rock chips. I tried sealing the first chip but have not got around to trying it on the second chip. I'm not inclined to replace it until one of them cracks. I have the advanced tech package so I assume the cost to replace will be higher than average. Curious what the cost of replacement at an independent shop would be.

12. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I may be wrong, but wasn’t there some design change to the original design of the windshield? If I remember correctly, the old style was still available through aftermarket repair places. Have all your replacements been through non-dealer sources? Just curious.

13. Prius2016excel

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I honestly don’t know. I can’t find any information about actual design changes to the front of the Gen4. There is some info around the internet that suggests early Gen4 windshield glass was too thin and Toyota quickly corrected that but there’s nothing I know of about redesigns.

I’m on my 4th windscreen now. 2 of the replacements have been third party manufacturers and 1 of them was Toyota branded.

14. PaulHeiser

PaulHeiser New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a Gen 4, and when I was removing the wipers, I subtle caught the edge of the windshield. That sent a crack across the whole pane.

That glass is brittle, but it's the windshield which should be a lot stronger than that.

Where should someone get a replacement that isn't so brittle?

15. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I would go through the dealership to be as sure as possible to get the correct one.

16. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our 2017 has 30,000 miles and is original but does have some pitting from road rocks. The 2021 was cracked (on the bottom) when she took out a deer in Nov 21 so it was replaced along with much of of the front end. (Amazing how much damage was done, actually, almost $11,000 to fix it all.)

17. Animal Mother

Animal Mother New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’ve seen some complaints online about the ‘16 being prone to cracking, and saw one cracked when I was shopping for a 2016 that had 200k on it. The owner claimed it has just cracked a few days after he placed the ad stating the car needed nothing. My guess is he didn’t want to disclose it to potential buyers. My 2016 has 165k on the clock and is apparently still on the original glass (based on the part number and the service records). I do have a rock chip on the passenger side, but it hasn’t spread and a chip or two isn’t unusual at that sort of mileage.