1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen4, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by cyclopathic, Oct 1, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    has anyone else noted how a few members keep repeating their mantra of hate through all these gen IV threads? not sure if they are trying to sway others or themselves.

usbseawolf2000 and Sergiospl like this.
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Okay, which ones? The Volt is a non-starter for me because it's too expensive and the back seat is WAY too small. The Hyundai doesn't exist yet.

So, which 50+mpg lift backs with the cargo carrying capacity of the Prius should I be looking at besides the Prius?

energyandair likes this.
  3. DtEW

DtEW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Really, 50+ mpg?

That's not defining it narrowly, no.

"50+ mpg or no deal!"

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly, that's the 'raison d'etre'.:)

iplug likes this.
  5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    42/37, over $32k, and it's a FORD! I've owned two Fords and, not coincidentally, they were the two worst cars I've ever owned for reliability.

Next?

telmo744 likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So, the new Prius commercial: "It sucks less". :ROFLMAO:

7. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DtEW, I've read C-Max for a few seconds, then I was preparing to quote, but then you changed your post.
    (just for a big laugh, mate)

8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Okay, fine.

Prius lift-back practicality and cargo capacity, under $25k, Prius-level reliability.

jdonalds and energyandair like this.
  9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    By the way, my 2004 does all these things, why should I pay over $30k to go backwards?

telmo744 likes this.
  10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For me, it's to sway others. It's a lot more fun to hate the looks of the Gen 4 in groups than by myself. But since so few agree with me, I'll just have to say it is FACT that the Gen 4 is ugly and hate it by myself. :ROFLMAO:

bisco likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where does this come from? So being skeptical and critical classifies as "hate" in your books?

Like or not to make a judgement I will have to take it on a test drive. Maybe the improvements in handling, ergonomics and practicality alone would make it better car than Gen3. BUT as many Gen2 owners didn't rush to replace them with "so much better Gen3", would even smaller gap btw Gen3 and 4 be enough?

12. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    From a pure cost/benefit point of view, the gen 4 doesn't have a chance. What other factors will you take into account?

13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On paper, at least, the gap between gen 3 and gen 4 is MUCH larger. Gen 2 and gen 3 are almost identical - almost the same performance, almost the same storage and cargo room, almost the same drive system and suspension, almost the same hybrid and 12V batteries located in the same places. The gen 4 has independent rear suspension, a four-wheel drive option, different batteries located in different places and greatly reduced storage but likely more cargo volume.

14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    From a pure cost/benefit point of view, the gen 3 doesn't have a chance against maintaining my gen 2.

Since we don't know a lot of details of the gen 4 yet, including which options go with which details (battery type/4WD, spare/flat cargo area, wireless charger/something else, sunroof/solar, prices of various options, acceleration and handling, etc.), I don't know what the gen 4 might have that would make it more attractive than a gen 3. I'll have to see.

15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well 4wd option may be a big seller in snowbelt regions, but rear suspension?

Torsion beam is semi-independent and often being marketed as "independent". And it is good enough for non-ultra-high performance tires. VW sells (well sold) Golf with independent rear and TDI equipped with torsion beam, did anyone complained about handling?

Gen3 handling issues are not related to rear. They are due to incorrect front geometry. A set of camber bolts and rear anti-sway bar all it needs.

EDIT: and I haven't heard anyone complaining about Corolla handling.. or any other Toyota compact (xB, xD, Yaris, etc). Most americans don't really care either way.

#55 cyclopathic, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  16. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The biggest problem for me buying a Gen4 is my 2001 Gen1 has to reach its end of life. Hopefully, the Gen 4 becomes available before the next steep gas price surge (it's coming!). If the Gen 4 maintains the Prius reliability and maximum possible mpg while still remaining affordable, everything else is in the noise.

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With any evolution of a vehicle there's always improvement and change, and some mixture of gain and loss.

I think the Gen 3, is an improvement over the Gen 2.
    But even as an owner of a Gen 3, there are things about the Gen 2 I like better.

I suspect once it is actually out in the world, and we get full and more revealing disclosure, The Gen 4 will be an improvement over the Gen 3.

Right off the bat, some things don't strike me well. I like a double glove box and that is gone.
    And even though I like that Toyota has abandoned the Buttress/Bridge design, I'm NOT impressed by the center trim in the white porcelain look, Looks like Toyota partnered with Moen to create that. I'm really looking for a handle to flush something.

But at this point, just not enough information, and I personally like to wait and hear "real world" experience with new owners.
    I generally suspect the new Prius WILL be an improvement. Even though as always, there will be things that people like better about the previous Generation.

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not necessarily true.
    I remember when the Gen 3 was coming out, Toyota made sure we knew how much was redesigned in the Gen 3.
    Smaller lighter HSD components, beltless engine, no gas bladder, and no heating thermos, a new heat reclamation system.

Those are pretty big changes under the skin, and I'm sure I'm missing some.
    Not to mention the interior and exterior cosmetic changes.

Not knocking Gen 2, or Gen 3...but there WAS significant evolution between Gen 2 and Gen 3.

frodoz737 and DtEW like this.
  19. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    I feel the same way. While I'm very likely to buy a Gen IV the changes made to the overall car are not compelling to me. I too could easily step away and end up with something like a Honda CR-V.

When we bought our Gen II we looked at many cars. High mileage was certainly a big factor, but so was Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). At that time, back in 2008, we ended up comparing the Prius Hybrid with a non hybrid Honda Civic. In the end we bought the Prius, not because of the high mileage, but due to the fact that we just liked the Prius more than the Civic. Also at that time my spreadsheet indicated the Civic would have been the lower TCO. That turned out to be wrong. My calculations were right, but I underestimated how much we would drive the Prius while leaving our other car parked. With gas prices high at the time we chose to manage our trips so we've ended up putting many more miles on the Prius, saving gas in the process. I now figure we've saved $7,000 in gas driving the Prius over the Civic we didn't buy. The Civic purchase price was $5,000 lower than the Prius. On the other hand if we have to put in a new HV battery the TCO of the Prius would rise and it would be a wash in with the Civic.

I agree there is zero competition at the moment for the Prius. The Volt would be a potential option for us save for the price (we can't take advantage of tax breaks), no spare, and way less cargo space. Other than those (to us) rather large issues I do consider the Volt in the same class as the Prius.

We can't wait for a Hundai or some other car to hit the market. We will be buying in the next six months.

20. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    That's a remarkably definitive statement assuming that you don't yet know the price of the Gen 4, haven't seen the specs on what will actually be available, haven't had a chance to drive or look closely at one, and haven't yet read any reviews by people who have.