1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen5 Hypermiling Checklist

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Preebee, Jul 12, 2023.

1. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    upload_2023-7-22_15-8-35.png

Here's what I was talking about. Isn't the linear progression of the MPGs odd? The blank area (right after the 15 min point) is me parked outside a store w/ car on + AC for dog).

The stair step bars is me driving from store and then heading back home. I ended up with 53.8 MPG for the trip. I probably had the car parked and running for 25 mins. It was HOT!

2. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I'm starting to notice the AC potentially having a bigger-than-expected effect on MPGs. It's hot and humid as balls here in Kansas.

The AC system on auto kind of just takes over all the other settings it seems. You can click on them, but I think the AI is picking the most efficient combination.

I believe I'm seeing a benefit raising the thermostat to the minimum temp that's comfortable instead of just leaving it at a number in the 60's.

I initially assumed that changing the temps a few degrees would barely register compared to just shutting the entire AC off. It seems this is not the case.

If the G5's AC is causing a bigger burden on MPG's (I don't know why this would be the case, but my initial impressions were that it was more powerful than my G4's - Eco mode to Eco), then tinting and windshield visors will become more important.

All I know is, on a mild evening, with the AC off and the windows down, I can get crazy-high MPG's, even when I'm not trying to. With the AC roarin', not so much.

A word on the dedicated battery coolant system that's new on the G5's. Is that just for the Primes, or all trim levels?

3. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Just Primes.

HacksawMark and Preebee like this.
  4. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Definitely saw a big difference today adjusting the thermostat from 70f to whatever was the limit of my comfortability. That happened to be around 75f. Temps outside were 100f heat index (actual 93-94f) with full sunshine.

I drove 15 miles (in the city only) and had two stops where I shut the car off. AC was on 95% of the time at the levels I described. My trip included many traffic light stops and turns.

First destination was around 5.5 miles. Car was warming up, but the cabin was also still fairly cool coming out of the garage. I even tried to drive with the windows down a bit. Too muggy. I got almost 62 MPG on this trip.

My next trip was only a couple miles and my ICE decided it needed to run more. The car had also been out in the full sun so the AC was likely working harder. I did use a windshield visor (highly recommended). I got around 40 MPG for this trip. :sick:

The last trip was the longest and took me back to the garage. I was parked in semi-shade. This final segment was 7 miles and I earned almost 79 MPG!! It was smoking hot on the way back.

Turning the AC up to 75f seemed to make a HUGE difference. Had I just left it where I usually do, 68-70, my MPGs would have been in the 50's.

My entire trip was 65.4 MPG! For this kind of heat and traffic, that's a record. And the only thing I changed was the thermo by +5 degrees. I was decently comfortable too!

So it appears that the G5's fuel mileage can be just as hampered by the AC as the G4. Maybe even more so if you like to crank it down real low.

I mentioned previously that one of my first impressions of the G5 was the AC. It felt much more powerful than the G4. Both were always kept on Eco. I tried to use only what I needed in the G4, but in Kansas summers, it always seemed like I needed a lot.

Therefore it would appear, particularly in the G5, when wanting to maximize MPG's, the AC levels have as much effect on the fuel economy as the coefficient of drag lol. I don't know any other way to explain it. I gained anywhere from 10-15% more fuel economy by simply raising the thermo from 70-75.

Maybe somebody driving a G4 in similar weather, can test their mileage after setting the AC to 75f . I don't think it will yield nearly the same benefit.

upload_2023-7-24_16-40-4.png

upload_2023-7-24_16-41-2.png

upload_2023-7-24_16-41-41.png

Yay 99! :D

Attached Files:

Bobo99 and tovli like this.
  5. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Had to head out again on almost the exact same track. Temps were around 103f heat index this time. Kept the AC at 75f.

upload_2023-7-24_22-41-20.png

upload_2023-7-24_22-41-52.png

upload_2023-7-24_22-42-21.png

upload_2023-7-24_22-44-2.png

Each pic represents shutting the car off, with the third one being back in the garage. The fourth photo is the entire trip average. It's no fluke! You can drive the new "fast" Prius, with the AC on (decently), in horrifically hot weather, in stop-and-go urban traffic, and get 65 MPGs.

And my car is far from broken in yet. Tire pressure is 39/38. The G5 has hypermiling potential fo sho, if.... you can keep off the gas. It ain't easy... :censored::D

Oh, and during this test, I kept the bar at the red arrow while accelerating. Once I reached a few miles above the speed limit, I lifted off and glided trying to keep the bar at or below the blue/green arrow.

upload_2023-7-24_22-57-49.png

Attached Files:

tovli likes this.
  6. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Some results from my "EV mode button" testing:

It appears that it is helping to keep the ICE off better than the G4 in situations that might need more accelerator pressure, but won't exceed 20 mph. For example: driving up steep ramps in parking garages. You need at least a fairly strong 3 bars for the EV button to work. If you're at "low" 3 bars, you'll get denied access.

And today, I discovered another use for the button. I've noticed in my G5, that the ICE wants to kick on quickly when driving for the first time of the day. I can have 5 bars and it will still happen very shortly with almost no acceleration. This didn't happen in my G4 unless it was cold out. I'm guessing this is programmed into the G5's routine.

Well, if you hit the EV button, this won't happen. And that's very important because, you NEVER want the ICE running when you are stopped or creeping slowly. It will absolutely hammer your fuel economy. So being able to delay your ICE from starting until you pull out onto a road that will allow full acceleration to gliding speed is a BIG benefit.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  7. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I am most waiting for two numbers: Displayed Tank MPG, and Actual MPG from 75% tank used.

(I'm having trouble getting my Prime to use much gas at all! Even in HV mode it only uses 20-25% miles on ICE.)

Preebee likes this.
  8. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Not a bad problem to have. :LOL:

I've hit 90% EV driving ratio on some multi-mile jaunts before! :eek:

tovli likes this.
  9. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hmm. Good data. I'm in MSP and temps are heat indexing around 101 I have a Gen 4 rental. I'll blast the air and see how my mileage is affected on my 20 min commute back to the hotel tonight.

Preebee likes this.
  10. tovli

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    It is since I want to characterize my car's reported and actual MPG, and supposedly the car will yell at me if I don't use at least 5 gallons in a year...

I used to fill 5-6 gallons every 3-4 weeks so I could get an reasonable actual versus reported average MPG in three to six months, now it might take 3-6 years... Not that I don't want to believe what the car tells me, but my 2009 Prius was lying to me by +15% at the end, where it only inflated the MPG by 1% when it was new. I think it knew I was lusting over the 2023 Prius.

Preebee likes this.
  11. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I believe the lying has stopped, or at least been greatly minimized in the G5's. My last fill-up had the gauge showing slightly pessimistic! How's that for a change! Never saw that in the 2019.

tovli likes this.
  12. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I'm starting to reconsider where the best place to hold the accelerator on the Eco guide is at.

I used to take it to the top of the Eco zone, but I did some testing tonight and got what looked to be superior MPG numbers accelerating at a slower pace.

Accelerating at the top of the Eco zone will keep you up with pretty fast traffic. The G5 has a lot more power. I'm thinking if nobody is behind you, and you aren't in a hurry, accelerating slower than max Eco may have fuel economy benefits.

This is exciting! :cool:

13. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Look, I understand the historical addiction to maxing mileage with earlier Gen Prii, but to continue that with the 2023 is to really miss the entire point of the redesign and reengineering in my opinion. The 23 is a driver's car with near sports car handling and acceleration. Hypermiling causes you to miss out on these attributes almost entirely. Why would you even buy a new Prius if not to enjoy its full capabilities which involves its handling, acceleration AND MPG? You want to occasionally see what kind of MPG its capable of, fine, but to be obsessed with it just misses the point.

Preebee and tovli like this.
  14. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Meh, a little OCD never hurt anybody. :)

vvillovv, Preebee and tovli like this.
  15. tovli

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Not in my neighborhood it won't. If I don't accelerate at 1/4 PWR zone, the guy behind will nearly clip my rear, nearly side swipe me going around, and nearly scare the living daylight out of me.

I have to accept the hit coming off lights, and regain improvement during cruise (without getting the "you're driving too slow" alert from the wife) .

(But I'm driving in EV mode, and not trying to "HyperMile" - just trying to meet and slightly improve my average.)

#35 tovli, Sep 4, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
    Preebee likes this.
  16. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You must have not seen my posts where I share my trips to the "twisty track". :cool:

Trust me brother, I've put this baby through the paces. But the car is multidimensional - first and foremost, a fuel sipper. Why not see what she can do?

upload_2023-9-4_9-52-13.png

I'm earning my "fun points". Let's see your scorecard! :D

vvillovv likes this.
  17. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Wow. That's unfortunate. I don't get a lot of that here in Kansas. Stressed people drive in stressful ways.

I wonder if the top of the Eco range in EV mode on the G5 Prime is the same acceleration curve as the G5 LE, 0-40, 50, 60.

I smell another experiment! This car is fun! ;)

I don't have a performance gauge so I'll use a stopwatch on my phone and report back hitting "lap" at 30, 40, 50, etc.

tovli likes this.
  18. tovli

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Yesterday I noticed Car Scanner has "Acceleration Tests" section that give 0-20, 0-40, 0-60, 0-80, and 0-100 ... yeah like I can really do those last three.

Might be useful to compare acceleration with various strategies.

Preebee likes this.
  19. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I'll look into it. This is an app?

20. David Mk.2

David Mk.2 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    From a hard stop, I find that I can keep up with a socially acceptable acceleration rate if on a slight downhill, but on flat ground or slight incline, the eco zone is still not quite enough power to have the person behind me not hate my guts. If someone is behind me I try to be considerate and get up to speed in a reasonable time. Especially when there's a line of cars, I personally get annoyed when cars turtle through the intersection such that only like 3 people manage to get through before the light changes, especially on left green arrows, is not the time to be a stickler for MPGs

HacksawMark, Preebee and tovli like this.