1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen5 Hypermiling Checklist

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Preebee, Jul 12, 2023.

1. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    On how long of a distance was this? I thought whenever you hit one of those scorecards, it reduces the overall result from excellent to good to fair. The longer the distance, the more forgiving it is. I'm curious how you got a full bar with so many harsh accelerations which is what seems to decrease the score the most

2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It's over the last 30 days of driving.

My arc looks the same(Excellent - with just a bit missing from the end), but I'm at 36 harsh corners, 4 fast accelerations, and 2 harsh brakings.

I think the harsh cornering has some blind spots. I'm seeing most of mine being on curved on-ramps where I'm actually saving energy by not braking and then not having to accelerate as much afterward.

Preebee likes this.
  3. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I'm sure it's a very forgiving scoring algorithm. We don't wont Prius owners feeling like they're being scolded... ;)

4. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I assure you I'm earning my hard corners. ;)

When I am not driving for "sport", I'm maximizing my fuel economy.

5. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You can have it for both 30 days or per trip if you click on the trip it'll show it in the Trip Details on the app. I wasn't sure if his was 30 days or a single trip.

I'm also on excellent with a little missing chunk at the end but I'm starting to feel the heat with my 75 harsh cornering, 54 fast accelerations and 49 harsh braking. I've just never had a single trip with a full excellent bar and any of the scorecards.

I use the adaptive cruise control where it brakes for me. Sometimes I wonder if it registers as harsh braking because at times it's kind of last minute and heavy.

vvillovv likes this.
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've wanted to comment about the gauges specifically for a while, which also includes the scoring.
    First, since I'm using DrPrius I have another set of gauges along with the gauges provided in my Gen 4 Prime.
    I've noticed that not all the OEM gauges show data in a truly linear curve. For instance when looking at voltage with DrPrius one might expect 50% SOC to be right around 352 or 353 volts. Seeing how a full charge is around 373, 374 volts and --- SOC is just around 330 - 331 volts. But 59 - 60% SOC is right in the middle of the voltage curve. The SOC gauge also shows 100% to 99% SOC lasting about twice as long (significantly more ) than 99% to 98% SOC, on the flat, and only really noticeable at slow mph when the driver can watch closely. From 99% SOC down to --- SOC the discharge voltage curve is very linear, although not anywhere near what the driver would expect just using the SOC gauge alone. ie: voltage discharge per each % SOC is near 3 to 4 times faster from 99% SOC than it is from 1% SOC (significant).

Using the Prius gauges can be fun and frustrating at the same time. The programming has all these high and low values that trigger behaviors for data sets from all the ECU's. Beyond the high and low values (or trigger points ) there can also be special case values (or trigger points ) for a huge range of all the sensor data being calculated in as close to real time and the ECU's can process all the data each is responsible for.

So, in my mind anyways, trying to use linear mafhs to compute real world expectations of what the prius gauges show, doesn't always give the answer the driver would expect it should.
    The GOM (Guess O Meter) for the estimated EV range in the Prime is the most obvious gauge showing how fickle it can be to try to describe how the Prius gauges - can be - non linear at their best.