1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen5 is out - what will you do?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by pakitt, Nov 17, 2022.

?
  1. I will trade-in my Prime/PiP and get the new Gen5 Prime

11.0%
  2. I will trade-in my Prius and get the new Gen5 Prime

12.2%
  3. I will trade-in my Prime/Prius and get the new Gen5 Hybrid only version

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I will wait for Toyota to come out with a Prius BEV and decide what to do then

4.9%
  5. I will wait for Toyota to come out with more BEVs and decide what to do then

4.9%
  6. I will trade-in my Prime/Prius and get a BEV from another company

4.9%
  7. I will trade-in my Prime/Prius and get a PHEV from another company

2.4%
  8. I will do nothing until my current vehicle "dies" in X years

46.3%
  9. The Gen 5 will be my first Prius or Prime/ I will trade in another vehicle for the Gen 5 Prius/Prime

13.4%
  1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel like I'm the weirdo as I tend to dislike brick shapes. The great majority of vehicles push around more air than anything else, at least when going down the highway. In an EV, that means most of the electricity is used to push the vehicle through air. Brick shapes don't help. I guess because I understand the mathmatic formula that the energy required to move a vehicle per mile is affected by its shape, it's crossectional area and increases by the square of it velocity. Trying to make large bricks that go fast and are "efficient" is like trying to make lemonade out of ground beef. It just doesn't work nor make sense.

Not that I'm completely against bricks. I'd love to take some difficult road in a Jeep-like vehicle some time. But I'd rather rent that vehicle than to have it as a daily driver.

tucatz and Tideland Prius like this.
  2. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Agree about the colors.
    We have a red 2010 because every other option was a shade of white or grey. I don't want 6 shades of grey. I am amazed by how good the new Prius Prime looks - it is really one of the best looking cars I have seen. Would love it in yellow. I was thinking of getting a battery car but my next one will be a Prius Prime.

Gokhan likes this.
  3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    All car colors these days are shades of gray. I like my blue magnetism.

The new guardian gray, which is a dull medium gray, was a nonexistent color until a few years ago, but now most sports cars and many SUVs come with it. It used to be popular in the 1970s and has made a comeback.

Lee Jay likes this.
  4. SlidingBike

SlidingBike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Given the sub-par(non-competing) electric range(of 35-40 miles for full charge) of the new Prime 23, I dont see any point in replacing it with my current Gen3 PHEV(gets me 47 MPG on gas and some random at office-charging adds up) for a fortune of money. I will always stick for a PHEV(since I know gas wont die before I die) as long as they are available while look for a decent 100 miles electric range to motivate me to replace my current PHEV unless it shows its yeassss and dies on me(I doubt it as its Toy-o-Ta

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, we have bad pistons, rings, head gasket, egr system and inverter :(

SlidingBike likes this.
  6. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh no! Sorry to hear that!

I've got bad rings, cylinders, HV battery, 12V battery, catalytic converter (in a California compliant state), wheel bearing, alignment and windshield in my Prius. :cry:

bisco likes this.
  7. SlidingBike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks @bisco for your signature about the piston rings issue and the alert on the VIN pattern. Mine is : 042868 (Gen3 PHEV), assuming, I am safe on this.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is after that number, not before. the updated pistons/rings didn't show up until mid 2014

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. SlidingBike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh!! my bad, thank you for the correction. Looks like I am also in line. Do you recommend me to have it verified by my mechanic? Do you point the exact "words" that I need to use when asking my mechanic to evaluate? Or any web site to enhance my understanding. Thank you.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we don't know why the head gasket blows. there is a whole thread here with educated guesses.
    some think the pistons/rings, some think the oil weight, some think the 10k oil change is too long, some think the coolant corrodes the gasket if it gets too old, some thing it's a plugged egr circuit.
    we also don't know what percentage of gen 3's, or why we see so many here, but also some with hundreds of thousands of miles without issue.
    i think it's worth cleaning the egr circuit, going to 5k oil changes, changing the coolant early. nothing you can do about the pistons/rings, and keep your fingers crossed.
    how many miles on yours?

forgot the oil catch can:prius-gen-3-major-maintenance-egr-manifold-spark-plugs-oil-catch-can.203069

11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    No poll option to do nothing for many years because your car (or cars) is/are too new, you drive too few miles, and want to wait till there is true availability, price and feature competition.

Both our cars ('19 and '21 hybrids) will fit 5 for a short trip, 4 on a long trip, take 4 plus 4 cart bags to the golf course, take bags of trash and recycles to the dump, get 40 MPG on a trip. Mine will take yard waste to the mulching site, furniture or a TV home, navigate snow via AWD and fit a NFL lineman-sized son. Few reasonably priced (less than $50k) EVs would do all of those and I doubt the Prius Prime for '23 would. The car I would be replacing would be my Rav4 hybrid only to have to resort to my wife's car for several of my typical trips. Leaving her with a new interface to understand is not something I relish.

Gas $2.979 here.

nancytheprius and vvillovv like this.
  12. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    I will wait and hold on my 2022......will see when the dust of the 2023 settles down.....maybe in 2024 ...if Toyota can mass produce the car and the new problems from the new gen gets ironed out

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it will be interesting. as of now, you pretty have to order and wait for a car around here

14. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I’ve been waitlisted for a 2022 since April. As soon as the 2023 was revealed, I called my dealer to swap to a 2023 (which I’d probably be getting anyway at this rate). Can’t wait to get my 2023.

15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yup, either wait for a year or two or pay a $5,000–10,000 markup.

16. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yep. That’s becoming an issue with my gen4. I’m looking at RAV4 or other compact suv.

17. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The new dashboard certainly is odd. It has no shade and I wonder if you can read it in direct sunlight. Toyota always adds some quirky video game design to the Prius.

bisco likes this.
  18. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that I pulled the trigger on my voted option.

I will trade-in my Prime/Prius and get a PHEV from another company

I am casually observing any new development on the Gen5 Prius (only interested in PHEV). I may consider buying one down the road but will not happen next year or two or three.

Any news on the size of the cargo on the Gen5? I'm assuming the PHEV version battery is not located under the deck like Gen4 PP. With a new hatch design, did it improve the overall cargo space?

19. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I’ve learned that brand new models have little defects that the manufacturer corrects in the refresh. My early build 2016 went to the dealer numerous times for warranty repairs, including the active grille shutters, windshield, and annoying rattles (one of them not easily fixable).

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the hatch space looks good, the floor is flat, but we don't have any measurements.

hopefully, danny has a tape with him, or can find one. if it's any smaller than gen 3, i'm out

Salamander_King likes this.