1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

General Altimax RT43 -- review

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevewoods, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Altimax still doing well around here.

The only complaints I have seen have been from KingLew and I think they might be from the older design, which even General admitted got crappy wear.

I will buy again -- at the moment they have around 20K and no issues with wear.

farmecologist and m.wynn like this.
  2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    So where did everyone purchase these from? Potentially interested in these for my v (wagon).

3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can't really help you there. I bought from a local tire shop. One local shop usually undercuts the Discount Tires of the world and one other local shop is usually 25-30 percent higher than the Discount Tires of the world.

I HAVE had good luck with Discount Tire BTW....not sure if they sell Altimax, but they can probably order.

Oh, if I haven't mentioned it, I have these on both our rigs now. A Camry and a Prius.

I still am reluctant to totally jump out and praise these TOO highly, but if they keep going as they have so far, I will have to say they might just be the best tires I have ever owned in terms of all-season traction and wear.

farmecologist likes this.
  4. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Weird...discount tire lists two different versions. However, they have them 'on sale' right now ( set of 4 for $330-340...tires only ).

I wonder why there are two versions? Maybe 'old' and 'new'?

5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What are the ratings -- ie -- I bet one is the T-rated and the other tire is whatever the other one is....helpful, ain't I....don't think it makes much difference to the average driver.

I HIGHLY doubt they are selling the old version....that went out several years ago...

This is what I said in an earlier post....

Tis the "T-rated."

I actually have the "H-rated" on our second car and have not seen any difference in the two tires, but then again, I am not exactly the sort of driver I was when I was 18 years old, either.

IIRC, the tire guys said at the time I bought them, there was not much real world difference. Of course, they were just trying to sell what they had in stock....

farmecologist likes this.
  6. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Ok guess I missed that.

I chatted with a TireRack rep and they really discouraged ordering the "T-rated" version ( which has better treadwear..75K vs 65K ). Apparently Toyota doesn't advocate for "T-rated" tires and he said that I might have a problem finding a shop that would install them. interesting!

BTW - Thx for your help.

7. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, one is the H and one is the T. One is $78 per tire, the other $79. Biggest difference is T has 75,000 mile tread life, H has 65,000.

8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my experience, some tire dealers are real sticklers about the ratings. Yes, usually a carmaker will say the car requires XXX rating or above.

Some tire dealers don't care, some do. IIRC, Les Schwab in the Pacific Northwest is REALLY big on sticking to that rule.

9. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
  10. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nothing wrong with the Defender, except for the price.

11. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What speed rating do you have? The T or H?

I need to order a pair of tires in the next couple of days and I’m leaning towards the AltiMAX but having a hard time deciding between the T and H. I believe consumer reports and Tire Rack both rate the T a little better than the H in some categories. It seems like the T did much better than the H in wet braking so there has to be something substantial between them. But noise is a pretty big concern for us and I think the H does better in that regard.

Anyway, it’s too bad no one has tested the two back to back to see the differences

12. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I know you posted this about 100 years ago but was your experience with the T or H rating? Also, now that it’s been a couple years, how is the wear holding up?

13. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I personally think that for Prius drivers who need an all-season tire with good performance in the snow, I'd go with with Continental True Contacts. Performance all around that matches the defenders, but ~4.4% better fuel economy per Tire Rack:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=228

If you need even more winter performance, consider Michelin Crossclimate+.

Or for better fuel economy at the expense of dry, snow and rain performance: Michelin Energy Saver A/S or Bridgestone Ecopia EP422.

Merkey likes this.
  14. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I know everyone seems to have different experiences but the main reason I passed up the True Contacts is because even though the TR review shows the True Contacts getting better mpg over Defenders, many of the Prius owners reviews on TR said they moved from Defenders to True Contacts and got several mpg worse than they had with Defenders. Some saying that they were now nearly 10mpg down as compared to stock. One even pulled them off the car and sold them on Craigslist! I basically passed them up due to customer reviews....the AltiMAX on the other had had all great Prius reviews saying they were at stock mpg or better, none complained of dropping....all said performance and noise was a huge improvement over stock, especially for wet.

We shall see....I’ve spent some real hours on this and think the AltiMAX will strike a great balance of mpg, quiet, great wet handling and cost ($300 for a set, shipped, after a $50 mail in rebate). It gets nearly the highest marks in all of those categories. The Defender H+T beats it in some categories but they are very close, the AltiMAX gets better mpg and is about $175 cheaper. I also think the Pirelli P7 would be a great tire.

15. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It doubled my last post

#55 StephenJ, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  16. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dudes, I am tired of tire debates. I love both my t-rated and h-rated RT43s.

I see no real world difference between the two on the road. I have had them what, two years. Still great amount of tread left, still great traction in the wet. Great traction in the dry.

did not have enough snow this past winter to comment on RECENT stuff, but the winter before they did great in the snow and ice for all seasons.

Buy what you want. Pay lots for the Contis, pay even more for the "Fat Man."

Pay less for Pep Boys and Town Fair....

Think rebates on the Generals will not pop-up until August or September.

17. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Stevewoods...I’m thankful you took the time to inform everyone about these tires. I was looking at them on TR and leaning towards them and was glad to find your review here to help confirm what I was thinking.

Some websites have a $50 rebate on them right now....I’m fixing to grab up a set of 205/55/16 for $300 shipped. Just trying to decide between T and H.

You don’t think there is any noise difference between the T and H? It seems like with the TR reviews they were a little more critical of noise with one than the other.

#57 StephenJ, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  18. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am of the Click and Clack School of cars.

If a noise bothers you, turn up the radio.

The Prius is a noisy car anyway. I'm 60. Have pretty good hearing. Wife is 61, her hearing is ---bleah...

None of us has commented on noise from the Generals. Versus the last set of Goodyears we had on the Prius (FuelMax?), which seemed slightly noisy, but again, the Prius is a little "tin noise box" anyway.

IIRC, my Camry has the H and the Prius has the T. No diff that I can discern.

A couple of friends have actually listened to me, both with non-Pri, and both love the RT43s, for what it is worth.

Of course, when the cars are ready for new shoes, I am sure the RT43s will be "discontinued."

Considering the treadwear on the tires on the cars (I check once per month), it may be three or four more years before I am even considering new tires. I fully expect to get at least 60K out of these, possibly more -- of course pride goeth before a fall (or is that a flat).

And, for reference, I got 24K out of the original Goodyear Integrity.

#58 Stevewoods, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Starship16 and farmecologist like this.
  19. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Me RT43s are also fantastic tires in the Oregon wet (and dry) and they do pretty well in the little amount of snow we get. I am a fan.
    kris

Starship16 likes this.
  20. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just wanted to ad to this:
    So far I can tell you that these tires make the ride a lot softer. They are also much quieter than the last set of tires. MUCH quieter. However, It is harder to feel the road and is a little like driving on a bouncy ride. this is not necessarily a bad thing as it is more comfortable and softer for passengers. On pulling out, it seems like I can almost feel the tires distorting a little due to soft sidewalls. A quick side to side motion with the steering wheel will show you that the tires flex quite a bit. They are definitely bouncy... but so far they seem to hold the road very well. Cannot tell you about the gas mileage. I was going to try and return them for a better rated tire, but really these are rated better than most on Tire Rack... and I have my passengers to think about.... so This is not a camaro… I will give them a fair shake.