1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

General and Troublesome Observations 2010 v. 2013

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mw3456, Mar 15, 2016.

1. mw3456

mw3456 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I traded my 2010 Black Prius IV with 67,000 miles (bought in 2013 w/ 27K miles) for a 2013 Blue Prius Four, not IV (only 2010 used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation), with 14,500 miles, both Toyota Certified used.

A few troublesome observations... I knew intuitively that the specific 2010 I had was a good car. I traded it to avoid some upcoming expenses (tires/suspension/brakes/general wear & tear/warranty expiring later this year), and the blue car with lower miles was exactly what I was looking for, so I jumped on it.

To me, the 2013 is not nearly as solid a car. Doors are rattling when closed as much as the car w/ 67K miles was just starting to show. Sunroof interior slider feels really loose, the 2010 felt much more firm. Rear defogger is 75% efficient, 2010 was 100%. The new car is notably hotter inside, almost like there was an extra layer of insulation in the 2010. A number of little things, but for sure not as solid as the older car with more miles.

The other deal that got to me was the finance guy putting the hard sell for the body paint protection treatment. I declined as the reviews I looked up said it's pretty much snake oil, but what bugged me was a couple days later, I noticed the little sticker that the car already had the treatment done. Pretty weak...

Any thoughts on the general quality and why it's so much hotter inside?

Thanks- Matt

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is the opposite experience of most people. i would go back to the dealer with your observations, that's why you buy certified! all the best.(y)

p.s. did you test drive it?

3. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Must have been built on a Monday. Fortunately as Bisco already had noted, a certified Toyota gives you 12 months to rectify the ailments.

contravox likes this.
  4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're talking the 3M film layer, I'm of mixed opinion.

I wanted to get it, but by Prius seemed to already have it at a lower price. When I picked it up, it wasn't the same thing. This package was applied to the places that are subjected to the most "user" abuse (top of rear bumper, behind door handles, door edges, a couple of corners at the bottom where debris commonly hits). The salesman says they put that package on all Prius they sell because it's very popular. I can't say it isn't doing it's job, but if you use a hard wax, it really makes them visible until you buff out every bit of wax (catches on the edges on the film). I was more concerned about protecting the front bumper and hood.

I know the early gens of that film were criticized for discoloring over time. I also know people who have always used it and are happy BUT they have garage-kept vehicles (reduction of weather and UV exposure) and some of them sell off their car in 3-5 years...not long enough to find out what happens after 100K miles of typical driving.

5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think all of the 3rd Gen Prius have a "shoddy construction" feel to them. As one YouTube review pointed out, to make the vehicle as light as possible, a lot of the materials used in construction and trim don't have as "solid" a feel to them, and its why some people balk at paying such a high price on the higher trim levels compared to buying an entry level luxury car.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There are two types of "paint treatment" dealers will try to sell you that I am aware of. One is like a "polish", applied with a buffer. It is, I believe, silicone oil based, and is supposed to "soak in" to the "pores" of the paint, allowing this product to last a long time. Problem is, plastic paint (that is what we have) doesn't really have "pores", though there may be pinholes in it. So, in my opinion, this IS "snake oil".
    The second type of treatment is the 3M vinyl film (there are other manufacturers and there is now more than one type - one of the newer ones "self seals" small tears). This stuff works well, but there are limits. It can be damaged by sharp objects and it won't stop dents if the object hitting the car is large enough. Sometimes the 3M film will protect the paint from an object large enough to dent the metal (smooth rock for example). It WILL stop most of the tiny "paint chips" you get on the front of the car. It is also removable without damaging the paint (they soak it in isopropyl alcohol using towels etc to hold the alcohol against the film, softening it and dissolving the glue allowing them to peal it off).

There is a third type of paint treatment -good- dealers will apply to used cars - wax of various types. ;)

As far as the 2013 being of lesser quality, I have not seen that. The "update" of 2012 actually improved many details on the car. Perhaps some adjustments are needed on the doors etc. The extra heat might be the heater not completely shutting off?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my 2012 is rattle free, and the interior materials are about the same quality as gen 2 imo. i thought the 2010's had the most rattle problems from the amount of folks posting here, although other years are not completely immune.

8. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have had no functional problems with my 2013, the fit and finish is good. Albeit I can't compare from past experiences since this is my 1st Prius.