1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

General deler maintenance - little needed over long haul major/minor service (???)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rrolff, Oct 22, 2009.

1. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It seems I've read about 30K 60K services (cost more), but looking at the maintenance guide, it appears really all you need to do is oil changes (5K or 10K depending on where the Prius is in the world - or if you just are OK with running 10K), tire rotations (5K), and a few filter cleans - this through 100K miles...

Am I missing something???? No transmission fluid swap?

2. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Engine and cabin air filters are replaced also at 30K.

Otherwise you can look forward to replacing the inverter and radiator coolant at 100K and the spark plugs at 120K miles. :)

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nowadays, most "transmissions" run on synthetic fluid, and at lower temperature than before.
    The fluid does not break down as quickly as before. Technically, it lasts a "life-time" of your Prius.
    However, you certainly have the "right" to drain and replace it. It costs $$$, of course (using synthetic fluid + labour). However, like me, if you don't believe in life-time fluid, you can certainly do it as you wish, but it is not required.

4. aapoppa

aapoppa formerly known as "Popoff"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's my personal opinion that 30K is too long a time to run an air filter. Hold a new one and an old one up to daylight at 12-15K and observe the world of difference.

I usually change the engine air filter every 10-12K miles.

Also, I believe Galaxee recommended changing the PCV valve at 60,000 miles. There's a sticky somewhere in the Gen II forum with her recommended maintenance schedule.

5. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: General dealer maintenance - little needed over long haul major/minor service (???)

I was just going by the Toyota manual. I'm like you and replace them once a year. I do maintenance as "I" see fit not by the recommended intervals. My cars are way over maintenance compared to the recommended intervals suggested by the manufacture. :D

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    These cars are ridiculously easy to maintain. If the experience with NHW11 (1G) and NHW20 (2G) cars holds true, the only extra thing you might want to do is replace the transaxle fluid every ~30-50k miles depending on how proactive you want to be. Other than that it's just oil/filter changes, air filters, and tire pressure checks/rotations. Naturally you should make a habit of giving the car a once-over on a regular basis a) because it's a good idea and b) it will give you something to do between simple maintenance items.

Or you can do it yourself for the cost of the fluid. I would have a hard time believing it's significantly more difficult on the 3G, and on the 2G it's a cake walk for anyone vaguely competent under a vehicle.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Along the lines of the Toyota Maintenance Manual, can someone verify for me that the Cabin Filter for the non-Solar cars is the same filter as the A/C Filter?

I see a reference to the Cabin Filter in the Maintenance Manual but not in the Owner's Manual. The only reference to filters in the Owner's Manual are the engine filter and the A/C filter. The Maintenance Manual has a separate maintenance interval for the Solar cabin filters versus the non-Solar ones.

The A/C filter is behind the glove box compartment on my car. I have had other cars where the Cabin Filter is located in the engine compartment just below the wiper blades.